Thread: Spitfires ?
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2012, 19:05

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
D25 ish styling is probably the way its going.....

If you look at the general shape of the car , you can see the Sammio-ness of it.....headlight covers may be a bit taxing but the shape tweaked a little could probably live wirthout them....
Firstly , thanks for the link Nick - that would fit the bill nicely....

I have made some very conscious decisions over the weekend about the Cordite. Firstly , I spent some time round my friend , Chris ( Tribute Automotive ) Welch's house yesterday and he very kindly turned my ramblings into a photoshopped image of how I think the car should and could look. He wants to fine tune the image , add some better shut lines etc for me before hes happy for me to use it , but when I left it was looking the part and is very feasible.
I won't go into too much detail until I get my image back , possibly end of week as Chris is trying to be creative and constructive with his own project as well as suffering my passionate pleas for assistance !!

The car is very obviously a Sammio - no question.

The rear hasn't changed a great deal , only dimensionally to accept the Spit configuration. The bonnet has changed to allow for the taller engine. I am trying to avoid compulsory scoops and bulges as they aren't for everyone....I didn't want to restrict the appeal by forcing a race-look on every interested party....scoops and vents , blisters etc can always be added if thats your thing...
The reality of creating a real version may not pan out completely blister free , but hopefully it will.

I have taken some inspiration from an early 50's British car and an Italian one....stock 7'' headlights and no covers will feature rather than shrouded ones.

If everything goes to plan , the bonnet may be a 3rd option to be used on the original Sammio as well !

The other decision I have made is to build this one more like the Chevaux....By that I mean we won't be using the Spit bulkhead. This is primarily for 2 reasons. The Spit body doesn't naturally seperate in the way the Herald one does and there appears to be a lot of Spit chassis out there without bodies at all....this will allow those to be an option for people.

The frame will resemble the Chevaux with outriggers and a framework mimicking the bulkhead of the Spit will be part of it as well. 20x20 box will be used .
The front section will feature lowered outriggers to create footwells and plates will be in place to accept the stock pedal units/cylinders etc.....the body will feature a bulkhead top section and horizontal shelf that the pedals will hold down to the steel frame . Lower bulkhead will be created by bonding/sikkoflexing flat sheet to the framework....slightly more involved , but not much. Probably faster to build than repairing a rusty bulkhead !!

My development chassis should be here on Friday , so I can finally get going !