View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:53
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Andy

I have an M50 in my Cabrio and have almost completed the water system now(I just have to make yet an other bracket to hold the expansion tank to the bulk head). I'll post some more pictures on my flickr site over the weekend.

How have you been able to run the engine for so long without an expansion tank? - Is the water system a closed loop? - if yes, I can not understand how you have not blown a pipe off! - if no, you will certainly lose water as it heats up and expands - that is what an expansion tank is for!!
Be careful with your M50 engine as they do not like being overheated - the head is aluminium and will warp. So you are right, first job - get an expansion tank fitted. Be careful to avoid air locks in the system. - Have you fitted a heater?

Peter is right about checking the thermostat next - cheapest and easiest items first, and then, the waterpump being plastic and can fail after a period of being laid up. It is easy to change for a steel impeller pump - GSF can supply a pattern pump but make sure you order the steel one - I did, and even then they still sent me a plastic one first time!!
Regards
Mike