View Single Post
Old 15th June 2007, 08:22
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
If I fit a different engine, will it effect the registration?
Hopefully not if you change the donor registration on the V5 log book with the new engine number. Will know better when mine comes to get registered.
That's kinda what I thought. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to send the doc back for change of engine details.

Quote:
Will the 1800 mate to the gearbox I have?
No as the 1.8 is a PG1 box. Yours i think is a R65
Does this mean they won't mate?
What are the major differences between the 'boxes?
If I get it from a scrappy, I'll probably end up with the 'box anyway. Will have to see how easy it is to keep the hydraulic clutch.

Quote:
How easy would a 2lt Turbo fit?
Problem the same work as the 1.8 VVC K. Electrics (my electrics are easier than the K as no 5AS), driveshafts (a bit of a hybrid), engine mounts, exhaust and possibly 150 MPH clocks and V rated tyres. Would be harder to prove I would have thought proving engine age as the bubble did not come with a turbo lump. Unless you could prove it was a bubble turbo conversion.
Turbo looks like it will be cheaper, but changing the clocks could be an issue! (unless I can get 150mph clocks from a R400/45)

Quote:
If I had the space I would happly do it for you as mine is nearly finished.
Ta - we are 300+ miles apart though.

Quote:
Is your windscreen on and bonded on the dash?
No, trial fitted, but left until wiring checked (hence engine start).

I really like the idea of upgrading, but as I am really trying to build it on a low budget, I can see another 1.6 getting fitted.

All budget ideas welcome . . .