Thread: Suspension
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2009, 10:55
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

*Sinbad*

It’s clear from my perspective, because I know nothing about Triumph and Herald dynamics, that whatever you are using you have two or three choices.

Now perhaps you know this and just need to push or you are clueless, it does not matter which because as kit builders generally we take on the complex and difficult and somehow make it work for us sometimes (mostly in my case) without a clue as to what we are doing.

So....
You can either build it as it stands and trim and tune the handling when you get it to a stage that with wax and string you are able to take measurement or use seat of the pants judgement of what needs to change
or
You can study the dynamics using spring rates and coils sizes with final weights estimates and wheel position measurements with caster and camber not forgetting roll centres and bump steer and using calculations I have no knowledge of to work out the optimum ride height and spring ratings and settings to give you best handling.
or
You could of course ask a professional to GUESS what they recommend, someone who knows car dynamics and can suggest the ballpark setting you should be aiming for.

Now me, like Chris, would just build it and modify it later, others would pay huge sums of money for someone else to guess. The other option is young ‘Gerard87’ now he sounds like he may actually understand the need to design before building but then his qualification may rests on approaching it by design.

I also refer you to Ed China, now Ed would place a small house on a chassis and still make it look good, after all a shed and a sofa are easy in comparison, bet that was not calculated or planned on paper.

I wish you luck and hope to hear more of your build. Oh and do have fun in the process....

eaa53