Thread: Beetle Floors
View Single Post
Old 30th December 2013, 09:35

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Sounds interesting .
If you sit too far back on a Beetle pan , it will necessitate shortening the gearshift tube and moving the gear lever rearwards - a modification that would need to be done without affecting the original backbone if you are trying to stay outside IVA. I think you can cut and drill holes etc. but not weld or seriously trim that area , so you should be ok. Shortening the shifter tube is irrelevant. Similarly , the pedals should be able to move backwards without affecting too much of a modification if you use the original cluster with shortened cables. I think the relocated mounting point into the tunnel should be considered to be just a drilled series of holes again. Alternatively , an aftermarket pedal set is an easy bolt on solution as well and converting a Beetle to hydraulic clutch is pretty easy as well.

It's a job to know whats expected sometimes.

I do have a friend who is very savvy with IVA and Volkswagens . He builds Sandrail type cars and is pretty clued up from an engineering , design and regulation point of view. Message me on here and i can give you his details , if you like. He's a really friendly guy who will be happy to discuss your requirements.

I know its an IVA issue but have you considered the MX5 ? The narrow backbone makes then ideal for a narrower car , although i accept if you are looking to create something a bit like a Type 35 Bugatti , the Beetle axles will suit an open wheel style better than an MX5 can offer.