View Single Post
Old 28th August 2016, 19:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Froggyman, Molleur, Mike D, Roadster, Mister Towed, Dave P & RedRatBike Thanks gentlemen.

It really was an epic day yesterday, so I will cover a bit more of it below, but just a couple of reply points first.

Mike D - Welcome to my build thread.

MOT Fail - I absolutely agree that the two points were minor and I am very happy everything else was OK.

Emissions - A 1980 donor makes mine one of the "youngest" Sammio builds, so there is a carbon monoxide limit.
( Thankfully, the garage will be able to fine tune the carbs until the car sits on the right side of that limit. )

Car Park - I am still amazed at just how small it is compared to everything else.

On The Road Thread - Should this start when the MOT is passed, or when the car is painted?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was all a bit of a blur…
To put Saturday into context, I have to go back to Friday first.

I didn't want to 'count my chickens', but I knew that once the seats were in, I would be very close for the MOT.

So as the hours ticked by and I still hadn't managed to get 4 bolts into one seat, I was losing the will to live.

Regular readers will know this has been a roller coaster of a build, yet Friday night was actually one of the lowest points.

Honestly, if I hadn't got the first seat in before packing up for the night, I would have needed a long break from the car to recover.

So when things went so much better on Saturday, I started to get my hopes up.

But I only had a small time window available, as I had promised my family the trip to IKEA.

So there was a lot of running around, packing things away and getting myself cleaned up and changed, so I would look presentable too.

Made the phone call to CarDoc and they took my details so the journey would be legal.

Then before I really knew what was happening, I was driving the car down the street.

There was so much to take in, it was almost sensory overload.

So here are a few more random thoughts / memories from the day:

- I usually climb in the car when it is sitting on my driveway.
When I climbed in from the kerb is was even easier to get in.

- The 3 point harness is a reassuringly snug fit and I can reach everything when buckled up.

- My elbow sits nicely on the side of the cockpit and the driving position is pretty good.
Which is a bit relief as there is no way to adjust the seat.

- At the end of my street there were people gathering for a wedding.
One of the guests was chatting and stepping backwards into the road without looking.
I was taking so much care to avoid hitting him, I "photo bombed" the bride around the corner.
Still, I got a "Nice car!" comment from the professional photographer.
( As I passed between him on one side of the road and the bride on the other. )

- I did see some people stop and stare and turn completely around as I went past.

- The indicator switch is on the opposite side to the cars I normally drive.
Plus I've removed the original indicator switch completely.
So the good news was I wasn't turning the wipers on, just grabbing for thin air.
I was also grabbing thin air when I reached for the gear lever.
( As that is miles further forward than what I am used to. )

- I was very conscious of trying to take in what the car felt like to drive.
Plus listening out for any noises that might indicate a problem.
So I had to keep reminding myself to watch out for traffic lights & speed cameras.

- I was initially nervous about revving the car, as I am used to a "lazy" diesel.
( Which sits below 2,000 revs at 70mph in 6th gear. )
But I think the engine would benefit from a decent run to clear it out a bit.

- Everyone at the MOT garage were very positive about the car and willing it to pass.
But I really wanted a strict review, as I'd like to take my wife & daughters for a spin.
They can't wait to fix it, so that I can enjoy it on the road.

- The oil leak is still there and if anything it has got worse.
So I will ask them to have a look for me as the ramp make access underneath so much easier.

- When I was looking underneath I realised that the original donor parts are a bit rough.
Obviously, they looked a lot better when I first bough the car, but that was 4 years ago.

- There were a few spots of rain on the way home.
Which gave me my first experience of the panic that comes with trying to beat the weather.
Who thought it would be a good idea to build a car with no roof in the UK?

Anyway, I am sure there was more to tell, but I really was bewildered by the end of the day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next Steps:
I will fit the headlight rims, as the beams were adjusted as part of the test.
Then I just need to co-ordinate the garage with my real work to drop the car in.
The re-test is free within two weeks and I'd like to get it done this week if possible.
But I am actually quite relaxed now, as I know it will be leaving the garage with a pass.
Then I just need to get it taxed (too young for tax free status) and I am good to go.

So until next time, take care, Paul.