Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 10th October 2011, 09:50
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default M50 Engined Cabrio

Fitting an M50 into a Cabrio is a tight squeeze. However, it is often the case that somebody else has met and solved your problem. Even though I had cut 75mm out of the M50 Inlet manifold, I was still struggling to make the inlet elbow fit in the narrow bonnet, particularly when facing forward(its original orientation) due to the bonnet narrowing. However, simply rotating the elbow to face rearwards then caused problems with the two return ports facing upwards.
The solution came from Jeremy. Fit the elbow the back to front. It requires 15mm to be cut off the original MAF end to remove the over sized internal diameter: the reduced internal diameter can then be made to fit the throttle body. By effectively rotating the elbow this then allows the two return ports to face down, and the rest is straight forward.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_bmw_marlin_cabrio/
I have fitted an induction filter to allow the inlet to be taken to the nose cone to ensure a cool air feed, and eliminate the open filter hissing.
Available from eBay
Old 11th October 2011, 15:46
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default air flow

Mike ,I think this looks likes a great set up with the ability to channel cold air-I may be using part of your design! Is that evolution, or just "two heads are better than one"? Shows the benefits of this forum though.

Last edited by jeremy; 11th October 2011 at 15:47.. Reason: missing word
Old 11th October 2011, 18:18
Enthusiast

Jeremy - I think its called plagiarism! Or in the case of Marlin ownership - evolution!!
Hope this helps too. And thanks for the idea about turning the elbow around - it had long been a source of head scratching.
Mike
Old 11th October 2011, 18:59
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

that's awesome, shame there's not enough room to do that on the Sportster
Old 12th October 2011, 07:04
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default Cool air and engine cooling

Looking at your air induction set up, I also caught a glimpse of your expansion/header tank. Where did you plumb the lower and upper pipes into, and has it worked?
Old 12th October 2011, 07:20

mashtun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Shows the benefits of this forum though.
Yes, this forum is a great resource. I can only imagine how much easier my original build would have been today than it was in the pre-Web era.

Mark.
Old 12th October 2011, 07:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Looking at your air induction set up, I also caught a glimpse of your expansion/header tank. Where did you plumb the lower and upper pipes into, and has it worked?
Jeremy
The top pipe is a "drain to waste" expansion over flow, so it simply drains to the ground. The main pipe at the bottom picks up one of the original hoses under the inlet manifold.
My only concern is that it is only marginally higher than the radiator top, but I believe it will be Ok as I copied this from Chris Cunliffe's M50, and he has no over heating problems.(There is a theme here with copying other builders ideas!!)

I have no idea whether any of my car works yet, as I still have not got any electrics so the engine has not run yet! I'm running out of other jobs I can do, so I will have to address the electrics soon though.
Mike