Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th August 2004, 15:23
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about a 5exi

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a kit car to build next year, that is when I can get a builder to build me a garage!

I have been looking at going the usual route of a seven type such as a Westfield or Tiger. That is until my wife and I visited Stonleigh back in May. My better half took one look at the Marlin 5exi and literaly fell in love. After some time now I am coming round to the fact that it might not be a bad idea after all.
What attracts me to it is:
1. It is not just another 'Seven'.
2. The use of the Rover 200/25. I like the 'K' series engine, specifically the high power to cc/weight.
3. It looks sexy (well according to my wife).

Now the questions.

At stonleigh we kind of thought it had doors. It is only since that I have found out that you have to 'get your leg over'.

1. How easy is it to get in and out? Also how do you get in or out when the soft top is attached?

2. Do Marlin cars allow test drives and if so do you have to get insurance or are the cars insured any driver (got a company car so therefore no independant insurance). What days are they available for test drives. I realise that I should perhaps ask Marlin this question.

3. How easy is the 5exi to build. I did a mechanical engineering apprenticeship 20 odd years ago but have been desk/car bound ever since. I rebuilt car engines in my youth (car and bikes), so have a little mechanical knowledge. Is this enough? or is this build aimed at the more mechanicaly experienced/gifted and should I look at something easier?

4. I was thinking that the best donor would be a 200 vvi anyone else using this one?

A lot of questions from a newbie, but if any one can help I would much appreciate it.

Regards

Mike
Available from eBay