Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 6th September 2012, 17:21

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default Headlamp adjustment.

Question: How do you rotate and level the headlamps on the E36 Chassis.

Answer: You start by pulling the front suspension to bits.........................!!

Headlamp fitting and adjusting by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

Headlamp fitting and adjusting by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

The clamping nut is inside the suspension turret and I'm not aware of any tool that will access it without at least unbolting the top of the coilover and moving it away. Even then you can't use a socket and wrench as the loom comes down the middle of the mounting shaft which the clamping nut screws on to. I had an old plug socket with an external hex profile on the wrench end so was able to use that. But it will be a pain when it comes to adjusting the lights for the MOT.

Is this another special Marlin design feature or am I missing something obvious??
Available from eBay
Old 6th September 2012, 19:10
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I have to say that the new front suspension design looks a lot prettier than the old one. Pity about the headlight adjustment LOL.

Mind you, even the previous design was not easy to adjust. I made up a special tool by butchering a ring spanner cutting about 1/3 out of the ring so it would pass over the cable.

Could you not do something similar but using a long socket and cutting a slice out of the side? Or perhaps remount the headlight slightly outboard on a small plate - but that would look a bit ugly....

Robin
Old 6th September 2012, 19:36
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm, nice one!

Like Robin, I was thinking of an old fashioned steel box spanner with a slot cut lengthways to allows the cable to pass through.
Or you could just drill a hole in the back of the lamp bowl and pass the lead through the hole with a grommet.
You can then run the cable round the back of the chassis strut out of sight or through some S/S tubing if you want more bling.
This is exactly what Marlin did on their last car. If you look at the first photo in the CKC article you can see the wiring conduit. The lamps they used are quite different to yours as they have an adjusting nut above the chassis strut.

...peter

Last edited by peterux; 6th September 2012 at 21:47.. Reason: spelling
Old 7th September 2012, 23:09

After looking at the access issue again today I realised that the question is academic.

The clue is in the photos. Any more than about five degrees of steering lock and the wing stays will crunch the headlights. So the lights are going to have to move inboard by a couple of inches and rearward by about an inch (or prehaps be fitted on 3" stalks .................!!) to accomodate any sensible amount of steering lock.

So it looks like some sort of mounting plate is the right way to go with the clamping nut for the lights just behind the turret which will give the required access for headlight adjustment.

Wrong choice of headlights.?? Or a poorly though out design.?? I know where my money is.
Old 8th September 2012, 07:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post

Wrong choice of headlights.?? Or a poorly though out design.?? I know where my money is.

Here's the picture I was refering too. I hope it's some help understanding your issues?

Marlin Sportster 2012 customer car by marlinpeter, on Flickr

...peter
Old 8th September 2012, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Here's the picture I was refering too. I hope it's some help understanding your issues?
Thanks Peter. (And Robin) And if you look at the headline photograph in the May / June 2012 copy of TKC it looks like Mark has moved the headlights off the top of the turret.

So I have made a mounting plate out of 6mm ali that moves the lights inboard by about three inches and rearwards about an inch and a half. (It needs another small bolt to stop the plate rotating) There's now plenty of clearance at full steering lock and easy access to the adjuster clamp nut.

Headlamp mounting plate. by MarlinBuild, on Flickr

It needs a bit of paint but I think it will do the job.

Last edited by NigelB; 8th September 2012 at 22:00..
Old 10th September 2012, 07:42
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Neat solution! Suggest you also take the opportunity to check headlight height. Quite a few of the previous builders had minor issues with height and had to wind up the front suspension up to pass the SVA. When I made my mounts I also raised the headlights by about an inch so I didn't need to do that.

Cheers, Robin
Old 10th September 2012, 08:12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Thanks Peter. (And Robin) And if you look at the headline photograph in the May / June 2012 copy of TKC it looks like Mark has moved the headlights off the top of the turret.
Your absolutely right, how odd? (Incidentally, I also noticed a front anti-roll bar in the TKC photo?)

Robin's right to mention the height issue as it's a bit marginal. You might also think about putting a radius on the edge of your new mounting plate if you can get near it with the IVA test tool.

...peter