Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 15th July 2004, 13:32
Kit Car Dreamer

Dustbin is on a distinguished road
Default Re-inventing the wheel - again and again?!

Why is it that the kit car industry seems fixated on re-inventing the wheel? Ok, some people will want the car they could never afford, even if it's just a replica. Some will want to drive something that gives them a feeling of the 'golden age of motoring' (looks old and out of date! ) But the industry seems to have completely overlooked those of us who want to drive something completely individual!?

A car that looks incredibly futuristic; or something that is totally configurable according to the use you have planned for that day, including interchangeable body panels!

Why no kits that allow people to add the electronics/computers that are readily available now, for enhanced control or entertainment functions? (There's a software opportunity here too.)

Personally I'm looking for something that is fairly utilitarian, an everyday 'run-around' that still has style and individuality. Most importantly though, I'm looking for something whose design hasn't been dictated by 'safe' (unimaginative and cautious) thinking, and restrained by the need to conform with the masses.

Somebody out there - help!!
Available from eBay
Old 15th July 2004, 20:16
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

I think one of the main reasons the GTM Libra is so popular is because it does appeal to the masses.

It has a lot of what people look for in a car. It's practical, fairly stylish and quick (with the right engine).

Not many others out there that can come close . . . . . . . unless you want to fit a bodykit to an MR2?
Old 17th July 2004, 19:39
Kit Car Dreamer

Default 2 seater sportscar - practical??!!

Mmmm - I can't see any two seater being 'practical' for everyday use, unless you always get someone else to do your shopping! And, you prove my point - endless more-or-less identical sports cars, Cobra replicas, Lotus 7 replicas et al!

Fast ? When the average road speed has now gone below what it was in the mid 70's, I prefer space and comfort. Come to think of, space to lay back and have a kip would probably be useful if the traffic on the M4/25 is anything to go by!!!!
Old 18th July 2004, 12:21
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 seater sportscar - practical??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbin
Mmmm - I can't see any two seater being 'practical' for everyday use, unless you always get someone else to do your shopping!
Now that's an interesting point. I'd argue that in fact for everyday use the Libra is a good choice. My wife and I have three children and when we want to go anywhere together we take the car that was born for such journeys, a six seater with luggage room as well (Watch and learn Galaxy etc), the much maligned Multipla. (Handling to put some 'sporty' cars to shame BTW!!) But this isn't everyday....
My wife will take the Libra out instead to go shopping, with one person aboard and a boot, rear parcel shelf AND passenger footwell there's plenty of room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbin
Come to think of, space to lay back and have a kip would probably be useful if the traffic on the M4/25 is anything to go by!!!!
And whilst on the subject of footwells, my son (getting on for 6 foot) has in the past kicked off his shoes, reclined the seat and slept in the Libra on the journey home from some kitcar show or other.
Thing is, there have been attempts at more 'practical' kitcars, Ginettas brave G26 for example, but who REALLY wants them. I actually make far more journeys with one or two in the car than I do with more so I advocate (assuming for a moment that anyone has decided to have two cars in a family) having one car that fits all and one two seater, it's better for the enviroment don't you know!!
Old 18th July 2004, 12:33
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Biker
I think one of the main reasons the GTM Libra is so popular is because it does appeal to the masses.

It has a lot of what people look for in a car. It's practical, fairly stylish and quick.
Fairly, fairly, fairly...!!
Old 19th July 2004, 08:24
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Well it ain't exactly 5exi!

Ferg
Liked the article in Track and Race Cars - Beat the Radical!. Surprisingly quick V6. Even the writer said it was much better than he expected.

Any chance you can fill us in about the production car status of the Libra (an article would be nice).
Old 29th July 2004, 15:05
Kit Car Dreamer

Default Re-inventing the wheel

Ok - there are Libra fans about!! Must admit, it does look better, and more 'practical' than most cars of its ilk.

But, oops, there we go again! It is after all merely a variation on an apparently endless theme.

Taking Ferg's example: I own a Multipla, and it is a brilliant concept apart from the fact that parking spaces are getting ever narrower ! Oh, and it would have been better if not made by Fiat - a chance that the interior switches, trim etc wouldn't keep falling off or working only when the sun shines!! (Despite it only being the length of an Astra, I managed to get an old steel bath to the tip, something I couldn't manage with my old Volvo 240 estate!)

But there's nothing like it in the kit car world! Why? Just imagine that sort of idea with the extra flexibility of a self build taylored approach. How about being about to make it a pick-up within a few minutes?

I must admit, I've got used to the elevated driving position now as well. One of the things I hate about 'sports' cars is, under current conditions, you just spend half your time staring at the tailgate of the car in front.
Old 30th July 2004, 08:10
Kit Car Dreamer

Spartan_Andy is on a distinguished road

If you want a different design have a word with italo on the PH Kitcar forum. He's put toghether some very nice original designs mainly sportscars but I'm sure he could do something a bit different possibly designed on the landrover/discovery chassis thereby avoiding SVA