Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th August 2015, 21:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Don't worry Scottie, you've probably given up because you served in the Army.

After all, when the army threw the towel in at Dunkirk because a few panzers turned up and had to be saved by the Navy (oh, the humiliation), and Adolf was choosing the wallpaper he wanted to have in his proposed new office in Ten Downing Street, it was left to the RAF to carry on the fight, despite overwhelming odds, and keep Blighty safe until the Japanese eventually invited the Americans to join in on our side.

If only you'd served alongside me as a crab (ask a sailor) instead of poncing around in camouflage you might have developed the staying power to finish a two-year build with a smile on your face.

So, time to employ some stiff upper lip with a dash of good old British spunk, stop being a buttf!cking quitter and get your car back on the road sharpish.

Oh, and the chrome headlight surround looks good btw.
Old 28th August 2015, 22:23

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

You're just peeved 'cos blue jobs were'nt allowed to wear cool camo-kit Towed!

Besides, I'm allowed to have a break, lots of non blue jobs said so!

:-)
Old 29th August 2015, 13:09

Well, following the RAF history lesson on WW2, I decided to get cracking!
I rushed into my workshop, found my torque wrench, and set it to 46 foot-pounds.
Its not much, but its a start, and every little helps, as one greedy supermarket chain keeps telling us.

Oh,and Mr T forgot to mention the fact that in WW2, whilst poncing about in trendy cam-kit, the army destroyed more aircraft on the ground than the whole of the RAF did in the air
over north Africa. :-) :-) ( Double smirk)
Old 29th August 2015, 14:02

y cymro is on a distinguished road

I thought the British armed forces were on the same side!
Been catching up with your thread Scottie. The cars looking fantastic though it's a shame about the setbacks. Glad you've recovered your hwyl!

Last edited by y cymro; 29th August 2015 at 19:52.. Reason: Typo
Old 29th August 2015, 17:09

I did not intend to cause confusion here!
The British armed forces were on the same side, well most of them were anyway. ( There is always the odd spy or two)
Perhaps I should have put "The army destroyed more ENEMY aircraft on the ground than the RAF did in the air"
Old 29th August 2015, 19:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hmm, that was after we bombed their runways so they couldn't take off...
Old 29th August 2015, 19:54

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Perhaps I should have put "The army destroyed more ENEMY aircraft on the ground than the RAF did in the air"
Haha, unlike the Yanks, eh?
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:38

Just a quick post, I did get to torque the head down, and then fitted the rocker assembly. Whilst torque-ing that down, it became apparent that there was something wrong with the torque wrench.

I put it in a vice, and sure enough, it would not "click off"

The Bank holiday put paid to buying another one right away, but I have a new one now.

Today I took the rocker assembly back off in order to get to the head bolts to re-check with a new wrench. They all needed a wee bit more before they clicked, except one, which felt like it was about to shear off.
Total f___ing despair, and lots of swearing as you can imagine.

In my heart of hearts, I knew I had to take the head back off, buy a new set of head-bolts AND another new head gasket, and start again. (Does this shit ever end?)

I went online searching for the spares I would need to do the job again, and stumbled onto a site where someone else had a similar experience, but when he took the nut off (the bolt he thought was going to shear off) he discovered that the nut had stripped its thread, so he fitted a new nut and torqued it up to the correct figure, job done.

I rushed out and found to my delight that I had the exactly the same situation, so I fitted a new nut, and now it is torqued up again.

Not an ideal thing to have happen, but that has to be better than doing the whole thing all over again.
(Now I await the flak!)
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:54

Ollie is on a distinguished road

Here's some flak.
Hope it helps.
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:56

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your on the home straight . Never give up !! Should be plain sailing from now on !
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:47

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Ignore the flak, just worry about it all going pop at the most Inopportune time...

...probably won't happen so don't spend all you driving time thinking about it...

...almost certain to be fine....

Did that help at all?

;-)
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:12

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking MOT Trials Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley

About six weeks ago I took the beast to the MOT station full of hope. As my friendly ex-REME tester waved me in over the small hump outside his workshop the tails of the exhaust clamps on the centre joint, which I had neglected to cut off, caught in the locating track of his door, ripping the system from the manifold and the boot floor from the vertical panel beneath the tank.
Took the beast to my sensible tester again today. Got over the hump with only the very slightest scrape (at 0.0001 MPH).

The new DVLA computer system wouldn't let him test it on line, despite recognising the vehicle. It kept throwing up error codes, so he had to contingency test it - result below.

On the way back, it ran out of fuel.........................

p.s. Good to see that your head saga is coming to a satisfactory conclusion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D MOT.jpg (98.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 3rd September 2015 at 15:38..
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:25

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Almost there Scottie :-)

Luckily the 100 year experiment concludes in 2018:

Commerate, Celebrate and Innovate

I feel nauseous already. A ghastly motto from the money-making PR-speak people. I think we can see how the event will go:-

A "C" formation of Hawks over the Mall on HM's birthday (there won't be enough avaialble aircraft to spell-out "100"). Rest of flypast comprising of a Voyager and a Reaper UAV flanked by two F-35s from Boscombe Down.

The final public display by the Red Arrows, timed to mark the RAF's anniversary, and coinciding with the expiry of the remaining hours on the Hawks will be a "special theme" at RIAT, comprising of a Red Arrows flypast, a Typhoon display and a static line-up of museum/civil aircraft tracing the RAF's limited history on the cheap.

A special magazine from Key Publishing with lots of stock images we've seen a million times before, and some new photos of er... Typhoons. Lots of articles on how forward-thinking and progressive today's RAF is, and some old photos of Spitfires and biplanes.

A couple of new books that look suspiciously like every other "Big Book of the RAF" but with rather fewer good photographs, as the publishers will not be able to find the money to pay the reproduction fees that RAFM and IWM now charge for photographs that used to be free so that they can afford to advertise on tesco fuel pumps.

Some exciting new RAF merchandising - track suit, socks, baseball cap, pencil sharpener and a competition to win a cut and shut chinook that bounced off the gates of Brize Norton a bit hard, or a mk1 Puma (one previous careful South African owner) - booby prize will be an inert storm shadow missile!

Plus a special BBC programme hosted by John Sergeant, in which he enthuses in a slightly pointless fashion over nothing in particular. Then he flies in some ghastly civilian twin-prop along side a Typhoon, whilst making more fatuous comments. The remaining seventy percent of the programme will comprise of interviews with "the people who made the Royal Air Force" (ie cheap vox pops).

Think that's a fairly accurate run-down of what will happen.
Old 4th September 2015, 08:25

Scottie - the Halfords 'chrome' on my rear lights has started to flake off the plastic after two years revealing the white plastic underneath. I plan on spending another £6 to replace it soon.

Keep up the good work
Old 4th September 2015, 08:34

Its cheap enough WCA, how's the manifold problem throttle body-fitting going?
Old 4th September 2015, 08:36

What can I say scimjim. you've said it all!
Old 4th September 2015, 08:40

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimjim View Post
Almost there Scottie :-)
Luckily the 100 year experiment concludes in 2018:...
Think that's a fairly accurate run-down of what will happen.
Our local "2 books for £5" shop had "Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World" by James Hamilton-Paterson the other day.

Exhilarating flying scenarios and depressing comments about the decline.
Old 4th September 2015, 09:57

Manifold will continue as soon as I escape work and get some new hose + clips.

I am learning a lot as I go along. BMW pipe water from the cooling system through the throttle body to stop it freezing for example.
Old 4th September 2015, 14:43

Believe it or not so did Triumph forty odd years ago, the hot water goes through the inlet manifold on my car!

Keeps the fuel mixed and airborne so I'm told..........
Old 11th September 2015, 15:03

Default Friday

Well, Scottie is still not "back on the road" but at least a lot closer to it.
This car has been , and still is, fighting me every inch of the way to completion.

This morning, I adjusted the tappets, and attempted to bolt the exhaust manifold back on, easy job? Not so, as the studs on the the outside edges were too long, and the ones in the centre were too short.

I had done all the stud assembley on the bench as one would for ease, but obviously screwed up the sizings.
To take them out and change them round with the head back on the block, was not so easy as the bench way!

The stud extractor would not fit in the confined space, so it was the two-nut method, which stripped one of the stud threads, so it was back to the engineering board for that one.

I re-tapped a bolt to fit in place of the stud, and got round it that way.
I managed to fit the exhaust and inlet manifolds on, and got all the nuts/washer etc back on too, but the two hidden ones underneath were a different story, basically, with the half inch socket set, I just could not do it,
which was infuriating as I had obviously taken the bloody thing apart.

I went out and bought a 3/8 socket set, (I cannot believe I have gone so far mechanically through life without one) and with that, it was a lot easier to do.

The tasks I have done today, do not look much, and are really not much,
but have taken up most of the day, involving an incredible amount of effort and fiddling about.

At this rate of progress, WCA will certainly be back on the road before me
complete with his bionic leg.

Get the other one done Nick and you can sell the car!

Here is the stunning picture of a WHOLE days work:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Scottie22; 11th September 2015 at 15:06..