Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th February 2010, 14:45
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Wanted: Rear Hub

Guys,

Does anyone know the best place to get a rear hub from? I've asked on e30zone, and looked on eBay, but thats about it. Anywhere else I could look?

I need one to modify into my spare wheel carrier. The idea is to weld it to a plate that can get bolted to the tub, and then I have a nice secure mounting point that has exactly the right PCD on the bolts, and fits the bore of the wheel as well.

Cheers,

Jason
Available from eBay
Old 15th February 2010, 15:10
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Guys,

Does anyone know the best place to get a rear hub from? I've asked on e30zone, and looked on eBay, but thats about it. Anywhere else I could look?

I need one to modify into my spare wheel carrier. The idea is to weld it to a plate that can get bolted to the tub, and then I have a nice secure mounting point that has exactly the right PCD on the bolts, and fits the bore of the wheel as well.

Cheers,

Jason
Jason
You could offer a peice of flat plate - 2/3mm up to a wheel, drill through the 4 holes and then use standard bolts top to attach the wheel to the plate. Then weld the plate to a piece of sturdy box section. Then weld a second plate to fix to your tub.
This is how the Roadsters have their spare wheel attached.
Regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike; 18th February 2010 at 09:43.. Reason: missed words
Old 15th February 2010, 17:21
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

The e30 replacement front wheel bearings come complete with hubs. I changed mine when refurbishing but I think I've binned the old ones.

However, I just put a couple of bolts through the rear tub with big washers on the back, but you've now worried me if that will be strong enough?

A cheapo wheel spacer with the right PCD would make a good backing plate if you wanted something a bit strong and proabably lighter if you get an alloy one.

...peter
Old 15th February 2010, 18:41
Enthusiast

Looks like I've managed to get one of e30zone - they only want £15 for it delivered, so I'll have a play with it and see what I can come up with - if it all goes wrong, the idea of using a spacer might be a good one.

As for strength, Peter - I wasn't really thinking about strength, more convenience, what with it being the right size already.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:23
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Looks like I've managed to get one of e30zone - they only want £15 for it delivered, so I'll have a play with it and see what I can come up with - if it all goes wrong, the idea of using a spacer might be a good one.

As for strength, Peter - I wasn't really thinking about strength, more convenience, what with it being the right size already.
I was looking at the idea of using a spacer but couldn't get one for a good price. Ended up using wheels bolts on one site and a set of wheel nuts on the other!
Old 16th February 2010, 17:26
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason
I made up a plate with 5 holes and welded nuts to them (with the wheel in place to make sure they were exactly in the correct place). Then welded a couple of long bolts to it, and used an ali spacer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33105452@N05/4362405165/
This means that you can bolt it in underneath without too much trouble (using a large ali home-made washer), then fit the wheel and tighten from the outside without needing arms as long as Mr Tickle's!!
It was a bit of work but thought it was worth it...
Guess putting a hub on will work in the same way...
Good luck
Tim
PS I wouldn't bother too much at this stage if you're pushed for time as my spare wheel failed the IVA radius test, so I just took it off for the re-test.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:03
Enthusiast

No, this won't be going on until after the test...

But it's essentially going to do the same job as your rig, Tim. The mounting plate will be bolted to the tub, with some big chunky washers on the other side. The 'stem' of the hub will cut down to achieve the correct height when the wheel is mounted, as it will get welded to the plate.

It's all experimental at this stage. Once I have the hub, I'll be able to measure up and see just how easy it will be to modify it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hubbasedspare.jpg (29.7 KB, 6 views)