Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th June 2012, 11:55

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Question Fuel tank breather valve

Why do I need one?

Or do I need one?

The latest IVA manual (V7.02) simply says:-

"The fuel tank must be fitted with a vent (to permit release of a pressure build up) which does not exit on to the exhaust or into the vehicle or be situated at such a height that fuel would be likely to leak when the vehicle is driven."

A breather valve is not mentioned at all and providing the vent hose is routed via a point exceeding the highest fuel level (ie fuel potentially in the filler hose when you have just topped up the tank) I cannot see the need for a valve. The valve supplied by Marlin is a one way valve which will either release pressure in the tank on a hot day or allow air in to replace the fuel as it is used, but it certaily won't do both. A simple piece of fuel hose, routed as I said will.

Am I missing something..........................??
Available from eBay
Old 28th June 2012, 12:25
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I am pretty sure that's a new requirement as for the SVA I fitted a valve to let air in - but not out. Or more to the point not fuel out just in case of an accidental err "inversion". But being aware of the need to also let air out in the case of temperature change I modified the valve to allow a slow leak out. So I have slow out but fast in.

As I remember several others did the same.....

Robin
Old 28th June 2012, 13:04

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

You need to be able to let air out, because of expansion in the tank, and air in as you use fuel (if you don't then the tank will collapse as a pertial vacuum is created).

On my cabrio I've a vent pipe with a valve that lets air out, and the filler cap itself lets air in.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I have never considered running without a valve but I suspect you'll get fuel fumes wafting around in your garage without a valve.
The Marlin valve is to let air in as the fuel is used up but doesn't let the air out when the fuel expands, which it does alot!

Previous discussion from a few years back here....

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...referrerid=181

I fitted the merlinmotorsport valve and have had no problems since.

...peter
Old 28th June 2012, 21:26
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

I think the Marlin arrangement (Fords really) included a charcoal filter in the valve to contol vapour, so the use of a simple tube could be a problem from a serious pong perspective.

John
Old 29th June 2012, 07:16
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Its the petrol vapour which is far more flammable than the petrol itself so I think a valve rather than just a vent hose is essential from a safety perspective (ex-petrol station manager ). I fitted the Merlin two-way valve and it has worked fine.

Tim