Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th March 2012, 01:35

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Another One on the go!!

Hi Guys, sorry I'm a bit new to this but just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading the links and thought it only fair I joined in. I've just bought a 1971 13/60 which has now been almost completely cleared of "extras". Like most of us, I did hesitate, but the Sammio won due to being able to pull one seat belt point out by hand, thats how the whole body was Chassis is pretty poor, so going to be busy for a while. Rimmers are starting to do a daily delivery for me. Ha, ha. (I work for a garage that uses them a lot, so get stupid discount.) I will post some photos soon, I promise. Lastly, I'm not really so sad that I sit here on my laptop at this time of the morning, it's just once you start, you just want to get that extra bit stripped off before you go in!! Any Sammio builders near to the Boston area want a cuppa, a chat or somewhere to hide from the wife I'm always ready to oblige. Regards Simon
P.S. got some very low mileage black seats and dash top unmarked if anyone knows a Herald owner in need. If not, it's onto Ebay!

Last edited by The 1958 Rocker; 24th March 2012 at 01:39.. Reason: Tidied up spelling etc.
Available from eBay
Old 24th March 2012, 05:02

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum Rocker.

It's nice to see a few more owning up to the Sammio obsession! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of where you are at the moment with the donor. Are you thinking of anything special on yours?

I'm not too sad posting at this time, my excuse is that I am just about to fly to France for a long weekend. Pity as the weather in the uk is supposed to be cracking this weekend so I could have done loads on my Spyder. Never mind. Next week I will do a few late nights!
Old 24th March 2012, 06:50

Patton is on a distinguished road

Hi Simon, it'll get you, even before I've got paint on the skip diver special "SKIPPY" I'm amassing parts for a cordite with a few variations,
"al'right so I do a bit of sammio I can handle it"
PAT
Old 24th March 2012, 07:22

Talking Thanks Guys

Hi Tirtone and Pat, thanks for the welcome. Yes I am also amassing parts for that wondrous project. (read thet bl**dy heap of scrap says the wife!!) At least she brings you comfort in your time of need, the Sammio/Cordite/G45 whatever NOT the wife LOL. Will post some pictures soon, but sure everyone on the forum is sick of seeing mountains of rust surrounded by clutter. I have no special ideas at present, but thats the beauty of it, you can change ideas as you go along. A couple of questions, as after 37 years in the motor trade I am out of my comfort (knowledge) zone here. 1) When can you get your car registered as a Sammio, as at what stage of the build. Does it need to be running and testable, and in the colour it will eventually be. Also my car is regd 01/05/71 but due to being off the road for so long is still regd as PLG. I know you can change it, but believe you can only do it when taxing the car.2) Regards insurance, what do you tell the Insurance company the car is, and from what you guys say would it best sticking with the kit car insurers? Lastly I may not be an expert, but would like to offer any technical/practical help to anyone out there that I can and hope to meet up with people soon. Is there any one out there fairly close to the Boston area. And REALLY finally, I also have a complete Ford 100e engine and gearbox sittine in my workshop under a sheet. Looks like something else waiting to get back into a body. Was thinking of putting it into a ride on mower just for a laugh! Thanks again guys, nice to be part of the team, not just sitting on the edge watching. Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 07:43

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Hi Simon and Welcome,

Boston, mmmm that would mean crossing the border but it aint so far, the Norfolk contingency stands at 3 now, Phil being on the road and Mt Towed being at a similar build rate to me, although I think he may well overtake me as I never seem to be at home lately.

I am sure I will need your brains when it comes to getting mine running and will definately take you up on such an offer for tech help.

If you or other builders find yourself lost here on the East Coast refreshments are available at mine.....

Pops
Old 24th March 2012, 07:50

Default Message

Hi Pops,
will PM you and have a word. Really want to help others just as much as get mine done. First spoke to Gary a year ago, but then had my wife and my son made redundant almost at the same time. My wife was a Local Government middle manager and my son was made redundant eight days after graduating as a Pilot Officer at RAF Cranwell. What a brilliant use of £200k!! (lot os Sammios in that) Obviously my son wasn't alone, so who the hell did the costings before wielding the axe. laughable thing is, that was March last year, and due to procedures, he is still in there, still training and doing things until August! Whats that all about.
Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 07:56

phil9 is on a distinguished road

welcome along good luck with your build
Old 24th March 2012, 07:59

Default Thanks

Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome. How are you doing? Have you got a project yet, and if so how much have you ripped off it and bought for it,
Regards Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 08:08

Default Something special

Just on the comment from Tirtone regards am I doing anything special. My son made a comment and as my brother is a fibre glass laminator and mould maker by trade we are thinking of a hard top. I know this causes issues with screens and wipers etc, but might consider doing a kit. Hope to speak to Gary before I really started, as would not wish to muscle in on his act. The thing is you could do it cheap with salvaged parts etc. to keep the cost down. It would be using Gary's principle which helps us all. I have not yet seen a kit in the flesh, but am sure while it is very good, it could easily be better finished etc. but that is the whole point. Gary could finish it off to showroom standard and then you would be paying ten times the price. This way we get a QUALITY finished product that we finish off how WE want it, and everybody wins. Still back to the roof, will let every one know if it does come off! Poor choice of phrase there.
Thanks all Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 08:19

garyh is on a distinguished road

Now that is a good idea! PS. Welcome to the forum. garyh.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:24

Default Roof

Yeah Garyh,
it's acombination of looking for a challenge, and not getting any younger. Not so much my age as wanting to use the car all year round. I run a Nissan Navara as my company car, so would like to drive something more "real" although this new generation car is a pleasure to drive, Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 08:24

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Pm'd you right back....
Pops
Old 24th March 2012, 08:36

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Rocker...welcome.
Read your pm before this , so hadn't realised you had posted....sorry.

Pics will be of interest , people like to see donors pre-Sammiorizing , sad really but we do !!

Phil in Norfolk has this one ....

He and his mate Barry are also building this one ....

Towed is nearby and his is coming together nicely as well....so you are in good company...

If you go the hardtop route , I might be interested ....screen that fits will be the Porsche 356 Speedster - still available new.
And in my opinion will need to look something like this , maybe ?

Old 24th March 2012, 08:37

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

RE: Roof

I will be putting a windscreen on my G46. I have been doodling pictures while on the train up to London of a hard top to clip on top. Trying to work out how to get gull wing doors onto it ;-)
Old 24th March 2012, 08:40

Default Roof and all

Thanks Gary, just pmd you. They all look great. I am an avid collector of plise of rust, so watch this space. Thanks re the roof, better buy a kit first and worry about the roof next. If you remember last year we spoke about my son's idea to put an Alfa v6 in one. Hopefully might dio that with his RAF redundancy money!!!!
Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 08:47

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Just mocked up the sketches. Possibly not the best picture ever but shows the idea.

The hinges would be near the middle of the roof supported by the humps and the windscreen
Old 24th March 2012, 08:51

Default Like it

WCA Like it!!!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:25

Default Am I thick or What?

Last question for today. Where exactly are all the rear body mounting bolts. I didn't need to worry about the rearmost off side one as it had dissapeared. I was ripping the shell off last night until one thrity ish (sad) but couldn't find what I am sure are more bolts hidden away,
Old 24th March 2012, 09:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Rocker, just like to join everyone else in offering you a warm welcome to the Sammio gang.

Sorry to hear about your son's impending redundancy - I did 23 years in the RAF and had a great time so I know what he's going to miss out on. On the plus side he won't be spending the summer in Kandahar... I'd like to wish him well in whatever he chooses to do next.

Boston isn't so far for me so I'm sure we'll be able to meet up and compare notes once I've got my car on the road. I'll just have to keep an eye on all the bl dy speed cameras on the A17.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1958 Rocker View Post
Last question for today. Where exactly are all the rear body mounting bolts. I didn't need to worry about the rearmost off side one as it had dissapeared. I was ripping the shell off last night until one thrity ish (sad) but couldn't find what I am sure are more bolts hidden away,
Have you undone the handbrake cable - the one that runs between the back wheels and through the compensator?