Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th March 2016, 21:21

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You can see here how one hot rod went from being on the road with no problems, to being taken off the road and needing an IVA before it can get back on the road.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...gh-biva-405393

Cheers, Paul.
It's not clear quite how this happened apart from the timing which meant it became historic rather than plg? - a bit strange that DVLA wanted photos before agreeing change to historic.
Yet another indication that it's best to get the change of body properly done with DVLA rather than just leave it as a BMW or Mazda.
Old 27th March 2016, 21:41

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
...If VOSA chose to inspect any of them , or they were to be flagged up at MOT , they could be called to be inspected ..its going to happen more and more as time goes on ...
As a few owners of early Landies in Yorkshire have found after their rear axle coil spring conversions were refused MOTs.
Old 27th March 2016, 21:48

But why would DVLA or VOSA choose to inspect? (unless MOT test flagged up) - I hope this isn't a strange underhand way of 'avoiding' the historic vehicle free road fund licence, as my Rickman qualifies next year. It's correctly registered as a Rickman, but would they try to say it doesn't qualify as a historic vehicle? It wouldn't surprise me, as more recent kits get a new 'first registered' date.... My Quantum (although on old E reg and built from 87 Fiesta) has a first registered date of 2009.
Old 28th March 2016, 07:33

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
It's not clear quite how this happened apart from the timing which meant it became historic rather than plg? - a bit strange that DVLA wanted photos before agreeing change to historic.
Quote:
I hope this isn't a strange underhand way of 'avoiding' the historic vehicle free road fund licence, as my Rickman qualifies next year. It's correctly registered as a Rickman, but would they try to say it doesn't qualify as a historic vehicle?
Mitchelkitman - It does appear to be a new thing that the change to historic can sometimes lead to a requirement to declare any modifications from standard.

So if your Rickman is correctly registered it should be OK, I guess it would be more of an issue if you had registered it correctly and then made the radical changes talked about earlier in this thread.

This historic issue may also be connected to the separate “reconstructed classic car” rules that effected some Bugattis, that turned out to be not quite as original as the DVLA was told.

There is a HUGE “Rods ‘n’ Sods” thread on the Bugatti issue here: http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/lic...-us-all-360250

It might not be the case for that Pop, but the “street legal” drag racer below was reported to the DVLA by a rival racer. So the owner read the IVA book very carefully, made all the required changes and this photo was taken outside the test centre when it got an IVA pass.

Note: This is its IVA set up, but it is fitted with wheelie bars, etc. when racing.

“Rods ‘n’ Sods” also shows a number of rods that have been built to pass IVA.

Hope that helps, Paul.
Old 28th March 2016, 07:58

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But why would DVLA or VOSA choose to inspect?
When things like this happen -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eath-trap.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-children.html
Old 28th March 2016, 08:26

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Angry

The bottom line is, as my father taught me, that you can't legislate for fools.
Old 28th March 2016, 08:52

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

In the case of the 2 I know about , the first one was simply pulled over by a traffic Officer , who asked the owner if he had built it ..The owner started to say he had assembled it himself , bragging about his use of various components and home manufactured parts etc..When the Officer questioned its right to be a 37 Ford , the owner realised his error and started to back track talking about the original chassis etc...but it was game over !! The chassis was clearly box section ..V5 voided , START AGAIN !

The second 'Rat Rod' pickup was pulled for open pipes and open wheels by a motorcycle Cop , again questionable originality was brought up as vehicle was a 28 Ford with Chevy V8 , stretched wheelbase , suicide front , about 4' high overall ...Local Vehicle examiners called out to inspect ..a couple of hours later , vehicle had prohibition notice issued , The owner was told he could not drive it home , he lived literally less than a half mile away ! He had to have it transported back ..V5 voided ...START AGAIN !

Both cases were extreme , I guess and if you keep your head down , no bragging to strangers , drive sensibly etc. minor discrepencies will mostly go unflagged...

Don't underestimate DVLA's knowledge though ...they have overlooked things in the past , not because they are unaware , more just a policy thing , I have had a vehicle pulled out of cherished vehicle inspections due to being incorrect . The vehicle examiners wanted to go for a prosecution stating I must have known it was wrong , I did know , but DVLA decided to Q plate it and void the V5 as punishment enough due to loss of valuable registration....But they do adopt 'projects' ..just before my local office closed , they had received a memo about pursuing any Bob tailed Range Rovers spotted locally by the vehicle examiners and details to be reported to DVLA ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 28th March 2016 at 08:59..
Old 28th March 2016, 09:42

On the Hot Rod highlighted in the earlier note (interesting link, if long read) I just can't understand how anyone would think a huge air intake mounted on the bonnet was a good idea! Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'bob-tailed range rover'?
Old 28th March 2016, 09:55

Usually an 80's Range Rover with the chassis and bodywork rear overhang shortened for off roading ..
Old 28th March 2016, 11:31

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

Enthusiasts have enjoyed the benefit of the doubt for many years, but it seems the tide is turning. With specific reference to the rods (bit of a soft target, sorry) it has always amused me how many '32 Fords have almost nothing from the model at all. I briefly owned a track-style '27 T that had a homemade ladder chassis, GRP body, Sherpa axles and a Pinto! I think those days are passing now.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:42

Triumph ..do you have any pics of that car ? I had a Sherpa axle'd 27 T that I sold locally to a guy called Chris Crutcher in Southbourne , wondered where that one had gone ..mine had a s/six Zephyr engine in it whilst I was driving it but these things change .....