Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 31st October 2013, 20:03

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikon246 View Post
hi have been looking at your biuld very nice it is.....i was interested about your brake pedal and servo choice? bmw? how did you find it?is it a 3 series bm? would you mind if i used it????
thanks nice job ikon 246
clive
Clive, it was by chance really.
I ordered a catalogue from Car builder Solutions and then looked at their website. This is where I got the BMW E30 pedal idea from - this article to be exact: http://www.p4replica.co.uk/2012/10/c...ober-2012.html

Takes a bit of fiddling, but it should give a modern feel to brakes as well as the added safety of dual circuit brake lines. I stress "should" as I have yet to start the engine and try it on the road, so I am hoping all should be okay. If anything the servo may be too big, in which case a Peugeot 207 fits I am told!

Copy away, that's what these forums are for!
Old 31st October 2013, 20:39

ikon246 is on a distinguished road

thanks i will look in interest as to wether it works ?i like your build would i rite in thinking this is your secound one?i have built many cars but not one of theese,thanks for the link clive ikon 246
Old 31st October 2013, 22:04

Quote:
thanks i will look in interest as to wether it works ?i like your build would i rite in thinking this is your secound one?i have built many cars but not one of theese,thanks for the link clive ikon 246

I built a Sammio Spyder first time. http://www.mysammiospyder.co.uk

Now on a Miglia Speedster http://www.mymigliaspeedster.co.uk

I've definitely got the bug!
Old 31st October 2013, 22:15

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony,

Looked at your website. Beautiful build!

Michiel
Old 1st November 2013, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedmc View Post
Hi Tony,

Looked at your website. Beautiful build!

Michiel
Thanks Michiel, I have been following your thread too and your build is looking very smart too!

We all approach things slightly differently and that is what I enjoy about these cars - anything goes!
Old 1st November 2013, 09:38

The Shadow is on a distinguished road

your build is coming together very well mushty. I am living not to far from you and would love to see the car sometime if possable
I have seen a few sammios going together as I was a regular visitor to our glorius founders shop before it went north and I have seen the germam mig going together but would really like to see another example .
as you said the great thing about these cars and how they were created is the versatilitty of the kit .
Old 1st November 2013, 10:28

hi tony
wow your a busy chap,would you be able to decide at this point which one of the builds you prefer? easy not easy ect,i know none of this ca be described as easy but you know what i mean, i have an idea to do the migia,but also have a sammio body...............yhoughts please
ikon242
Old 1st November 2013, 11:08

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hi tony
wow your a busy chap,would you be able to decide at this point which one of the builds you prefer? easy not easy ect,i know none of this ca be described as easy but you know what i mean, i have an idea to do the migia,but also have a sammio body...............thoughts please
ikon242
the miglia far outstrips the original sammio for quality in all areas...layup,fit etc just by looking at the pics

as does the new ribble/pilot by the look of things

if yours is an original sammio read all the build threads for all the fun in obtaining a near symetrical body
Old 1st November 2013, 11:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
the miglia far outstrips the original sammio for quality in all areas...layup,fit etc just by looking at the pics

as does the new ribble/pilot by the look of things

if yours is an original sammio read all the build threads for all the fun in obtaining a near symetrical body
I don't disagree with the raising of the quality with the latest packages from Miglia and Ribble.

I have an original Sammio body though, the quality of the moulding wasn't great, the shell isn't symmetrical, but it was great value for money, I thoroughly enjoyed building it, I love the way it drives and it looks like this -

It stops people in their tracks wherever I take it and nobody's ever said 'hang on, that shell's not symmetrical!' As Gary J once pointed out, you never look at both sides at the same time...

If you already have a Sammio shell, why not just build it? You won't regret it
Old 1st November 2013, 11:29

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
If you already have a Sammio shell, why not just build it? You won't regret it
Couldn't agree more. I'm yet to see a prettier shape......for a car.
Old 1st November 2013, 16:06

Shadow, pop by anytime - dave (the rattler) pops in and we have a chin wag over the kits and what we are doing and what we have bought. PM me for my address.

Regarding the Miglia vs Sammio debate, they are both the same really, but here are my initial thoughts - although I do like them both! Again - I can't comment on the Ribble because I haven't built one ------ yet

I like the Miglia one piece body rather than the flip front of the Sammio, as I think the longer front end makes it a little more classic in shape.

The Miglia pushes the bulkhead back and uses a fibreglass bulkhead so it makes it a little more challenging to build with gearstick extension and steering column extension, but again the cockpit being further back makes it a bit more sports car like.

Both cars (and the ribble obviously) have to go through the process of bonding the body on and using the Spitfire fuel tank - the Miglia puts the tank behind the rear axle giving you storage space behind the seats, whereas the original Sammio and now Ribble put the tank forwards with the option of a boot space. Either work well and to be honest these cars are more for fun and runs out rather than serious touring (unless you are that way inclined). You can be creative with side pockets (as I did in my Sammio) or build in storage in other areas if you want to.

The Sammio has no doors which means climbing over - but they are so low anyway that this is fun rather than a problem. the doors on the miglia are nice to have but aligning and sorting out hinges and locks is a challenge too.

The beauty of them all is that they are based on a car that is simple with plentiful spares and lots of opportunities to make them your own as you have seen. If you have the Sammio body, then use that. A lot of the issues with the body symmetry are not noticed once you have built the car - no one ever notices.

The second one is always easier and you learn what works and what doesn't, and for this one I am making subtle modifications such as electric radiator fans (blowing on a custom built radiator) and leaving out things like a stereo system - you can't hear anything anyway!

If I were you Ikon, I would build the Sammio to get the experience - sell it and build the next one to keep!
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:43

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Well said that man. Agree with all of the above - both are pretty cars that will be a challenge/joy to build/own - it's really down to personal taste which one you build. I happen to prefer the flip open bonnet on the Sammio for better access to the engine, which I've already had to remove to get at the clutch, but I can see the attraction of not having to align it on the Miglia.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Old 3rd November 2013, 18:30

hi i have been following your build, quire a few good ideas you have..as for the landrover seats.i would guess u used the outer ones? would the centre ones be narrower?to male them narrower by the 20mm u surgested ?would they need to be retrimmed or do u have a plan? im off to meet with mike on tuesday to have a look see.
keep it up good job.
ikon246 clive
Old 12th December 2013, 05:16

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Hi Tlrtone, have you positioned the bulkhead yet? when you do, i'd love to see some pics of where the bulkhead meets the front section of the floor, and how much clearance there is in the pedal section of the lower front floor, i'm wondering if the front section could be done flat, rather than a drop section. Looking forward to the next installment, hope all is well with you.

cheers from oz,

Tim
Old 13th February 2014, 13:32

In the next few weeks I promise to get on and do some more on my car and post some pics.

No excuses now, I want to drive it in the hottest summer in history - well that is what they are predicting if the bloody rain stops long enough!

Nice to have our own forum BTW.
Old 13th February 2014, 16:58

adventuresoftimtim is on a distinguished road

Hello, It's been a while since I have seen you post anything, glad you're back and looking forward to seeing where you are up to!
Old 13th February 2014, 17:43
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

ikon246, wise words spoken by Mr Towed, tlrtone and oxford1360.
You wouldn't go far wrong if you take their advice .
Old 13th February 2014, 17:47

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
In the next few weeks I promise to get on and do some more on my car and post some pics.
<cough>getonwithit</cough> there are some people lurking around here waiting for photos (and to steal ideas, )
Old 15th February 2014, 07:49

Thanks all, and Dave I will take the covers off next week and see if it is full of water!
Old 15th February 2014, 08:56

rattler is on a distinguished road

hi tony good man rent garage finished in 2 months