Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 11th January 2019, 16:53

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

STARTED PIECING THE INTERIOR TOGETHER ....

The dash needs to come out again for wiring .... indicator relay and one fuse box just about visible in front of passenger ... the main fuse box is going to be hidden under the bonnet ....The indicator and horn panel thats intended to go in drivers door shut is not fitted in picture ..

Screen template is made and a set of shop soiled headlight covers trimmed to fit ... these wont be fitted until headlights are wired and aligned properly ...

Old 11th January 2019, 17:18

AlanHogg is on a distinguished road

Those push and quarter turn fasteners look like 'Oddie' fasteners.
Old 11th January 2019, 17:23
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Looks fantastic.

You just can't beat that "race track reject" look.
Old 11th January 2019, 17:49

molleur is on a distinguished road

I really like the way it's coming along. Good work!
Old 11th January 2019, 20:07

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It's looking very authentic. Choice of donor (P4, I assume?) is inspired. Did you consider using the straight six from the donor?
Old 11th January 2019, 21:51

I bought the chassis as a rolling chassis only , no engine ....it had already been used under a Special and is 100" wheelbase which with a little tweak to the modified arches on the F120 body works out well ...If the original engine was there I would have loved to use it . ..

Last edited by lancelot link; 12th January 2019 at 08:36..
Old 12th January 2019, 18:06

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Nice.

I really like the filler cap in the hump and the mirror shroud.

I take it the person you are building it for loves it?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12th January 2019, 18:48

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Nice!!

even if it isn't a Red one
Old 13th January 2019, 15:31

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
Nice!!

even if it isn't a Red one
No that’s a good thing too many red ones
Old 13th January 2019, 16:40

Owner loves it but she has been built to sell primarily .... I was given a free reign to build it how I wanted and have a kind of profit share thing going on ...I want to see how viable the turnkey build market really is ...as that's how I want to go eventually rather than commission builds ...
Old 13th January 2019, 18:49

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - I met Mr T earlier today and he mentioned the good reaction his advert in Octane magazine got.

So that might be a better option for selling than the traditional Ebay route.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
The tarpaulin keeping the rain out of my car is slowly turning it into a survivor.
Old 13th January 2019, 20:32

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, I subscribe to Octane so I get one free ad per year.

My advert in Octane was much shorter - the limit was about 35 words as I recall - so it was a far more basic description.

The car had sold from the ebay classifieds before the Octane ad was published, and I didn't really expect anyone looking at the megabucks cars they usually advertise to be interested, but, over the next couple of months I got five or six serious enquiries including from three individuals who were genuinely gutted that they'd missed it.

Given that I had a buyer at the asking price within two weeks of putting it up for sale, two serious UK offers of around £18k and two European dealers negotiating at a similar level before it sold, then at least three more potential buyers responding to the Octane ad, I could've sold the car somewhere between four and eight times over.

The market might be small for this type of car compared to, say, the demand for Ford Fiestas, but there is a genuine global market for cars that will turn more heads than a new Lamborghini at the price of a mid-spec Mondeo.

Spending time with Paul and his Swordfish today, I was not in the least surprised when people stopped and asked if they could take pictures and hooted and waved while we were on the move.

Your creations are very desirable, Gary. Price them accordingly, advertise them well and hold out for the serious buyers. You will sell them.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:18

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Owner loves it but she has been built to sell primarily .... I was given a free reign to build it how I wanted and have a kind of profit share thing going on ...I want to see how viable the turnkey build market really is ...as that's how I want to go eventually rather than commission builds ...

I would imagine a turn key build to your own specifications would be a whole lot easier than a commissioned build from a demanding customer who might be expecting a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini or be overly finicky about tiny details.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I would imagine a turn key build to your own specifications would be a whole lot easier than a commissioned build from a demanding customer who might be expecting a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini or be overly finicky about tiny details.
Spooky Lucky ........and when they are looking at staying in budget , the much wanted accessories aren't compromised , they look at the labour thats being charged out at less than any mainstream garage as the area they feel can be trimmed back ..... The guarantee of being highly recommended and your creation being paraded at many shows on your behalf and undoubtably bringing hundreds of customers to your door , is waved in your face as compensation for your financial hardship ...

Personals projects sold at the end of build , don't cause that awkwardness or uncomfortable situation ...

Thats not aimed at anyone in particular , only feel upset about my comment if it strikes a cord !! but I have heard that same speech for around 25 years now since I started supplying kits and commission builds !!

Last edited by lancelot link; 13th January 2019 at 21:44..
Old 13th January 2019, 23:47

molleur is on a distinguished road

Please be aware that when following the masses, often times the "M" is silent!
Old 14th January 2019, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Did Chris at Tribute sell his ?

That is the only one to come to market as far as I am aware.
not yet as far as I am aware ....there was an issue with the propshaft but thats been remedied ...so think its going back on market soon ..

Quote:
Those look like oddie fasteners
Very similar to Oddie pins but not quite the same I think ....they were Aircraft issue , or so I was told ..little more complex than the Oddie ones ...
Old 16th January 2019, 11:31

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Spooky Lucky ........and when they are looking at staying in budget , the much wanted accessories aren't compromised , they look at the labour thats being charged out at less than any mainstream garage as the area they feel can be trimmed back ..... The guarantee of being highly recommended and your creation being paraded at many shows on your behalf and undoubtably bringing hundreds of customers to your door , is waved in your face as compensation for your financial hardship ...

Personals projects sold at the end of build , don't cause that awkwardness or uncomfortable situation ...

Thats not aimed at anyone in particular , only feel upset about my comment if it strikes a cord !! but I have heard that same speech for around 25 years now since I started supplying kits and commission builds !!
Building a "standard" product has got to be the best way. You know what people want, you know how long a build will take and what it will cost.
Old 19th January 2019, 18:15

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I'm liking the 'single' wraparound screen it's a cool evoloution and would give considerably more protection than my aeroscreens while retaining a more racing car look!

Given what i went though trying to sell mine last year as a home builder I totally feel for you building these to make a living!
Old 9th February 2019, 12:07

Freezing cold and shakey walk around video!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1z...t1gegROqa-fbKw
Old 14th April 2019, 22:15

I have changed the fuel pump from a lazy manual one to an electric example and spent several hours chasing water leaks around ...the reducer pipe I made had a couple of weepy pinholes in it and some second hand jubilee clips decided to not seal as well as they should ..I ended up replacing the top hose at the radiator , doubled up the jubilee clips on the bottom hose as well as lengthening it a bit and replaced a weakened radiator cap ...but all's good now ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSN1Sw22cZM

Last edited by lancelot link; 14th April 2019 at 22:32..