Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 4th March 2016, 08:57

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Default Nylocs/IVA

After I uploaded my last set of photos Peter kindly pointed out that some of my bolts didn't have quite enough thread sticking through the nuts to satisfy most IVA examiner. They like to see 2 complete turns.
Having gone back over them the ones in question are really the lower front shock mounts. The bolts are the recommended Marlin length with a washer at each end.
My question is whether exmainators are going to object to omitting either or both washers to get enough length through the nut. Or is the only safe course of action a longer bolt.
If the longer bolt is needed would they then object to 1/2 inch sticking through? I know I will on cosmetic grounds.
Available from eBay
Old 4th March 2016, 11:15

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

You could possibly get away with not having a washer under the bolt head.

If the bolt head and/or nut is contactable with the sphere used to test for sharp edges you will have to fit covers over them.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:19

Thanks, will go with that. I have a bag of covers waiting to be put on as part of final check through.
Old 7th March 2016, 16:53

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

Can you not get a longer bolts and then cut it down to the correct length? Pretty much every bolt I have used is cut to the correct length so you have the required thread protruding from the nut, but it's not so long it takes 30 mins to undo
Old 9th March 2016, 10:38

I may well cut down bolts in the future as needed. However for this particular problem I eventually found someone who would supply 2 3/4" X 1/2" UNF bolts which will do the job nicely. Thee vast majority of suppliers only seem to step up in 1/2" sizes, but found one that does 1/4 steps.