Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 1st June 2018, 15:46

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3148markc View Post
Finally see some light from the end of the tunnel with all the filling and sanding. It's not perfect but will leave that to the body shop, but I've done all I can and to be fair it looks pretty good, just difficult to tell with it being Matt.
Try a coat or two of rattle can primer, will then show up any holes and dips
Old 4th June 2018, 10:08

kon is on a distinguished road

I would 2nd that. A lot of the builds I've read about all have similar results when doing that... you think it looks great in primer, add a fine layer of contrasting colour over the top (ie. black), lightly sand and then realise just how wobbly all the panels actually were. Seems well worth doing, as the last thing you want is the paint shop re-shaping a line to smooth it out, and not following the lines you wanted.
Old 8th July 2018, 21:21

3148markc is on a distinguished road

Managed to get the car out today, took me hours to adjust the suspension to get the wheels to fit which they only just do at the rear, still not sure about height at front but will have to check vs speed bumps so it at least clears. Still lots to do before going to the paint shop but added all the lights and trimmings just need to add some mesh around the front back and sides. Really pleased with how things are going and looking forward to getting the inside done too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6888.jpg (95.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 14th July 2018, 07:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Let me fix that photo for you.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 14th July 2018, 08:28

Lol oops never even noticed it was upside down
Old 24th July 2018, 22:30

TAZ is on a distinguished road

Hi, can I ask how you have fixed your headlamp buckets? Have you just screwed in to the fibreglass or have you fitted spring clips or other retainers?

Also, I have the chrome finishing rings to fit over the headlamp, but if I position the headlamp buckets correctly, the retaining screw is on the bottom, meaning that I can tighten it. There must be a way but I'm not seeing it.
Old 24th July 2018, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Hi, can I ask how you have fixed your headlamp buckets? Have you just screwed in to the fibreglass or have you fitted spring clips or other retainers?

Also, I have the chrome finishing rings to fit over the headlamp, but if I position the headlamp buckets correctly, the retaining screw is on the bottom, meaning that I can tighten it. There must be a way but I'm not seeing it.
Hi. I just drilled small holes and then screwed the buckets into the fibreglas, will add some clips at the rear once all painted just to add a little security. For the chrome ring just drill a hole at the bottom then you can get a screwdriver up from underneath. Hope that makes sense.see pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6792.jpg (79.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 25th July 2018, 07:48

Quote:

Hi. Get the chrome rings that attach without the screw!!!
They simply clip on , with the aide of a 15p (approx) spring clip. Available from europa spares (and others)
Old 26th July 2018, 20:59

TAZ is on a distinguished road

Thanks to you both. I'll take a look at the Europa parts.

Another silly question. In the opening for the front grille, there are two infill pieces either end. I guess they are strengthening, but I think I need to cut them to get the grille on. Should I remove them completely or just try to cut slots for the grille fixings?
Old 27th July 2018, 19:38

Quote:
Thanks to you both. I'll take a look at the Europa parts.

Another silly question. In the opening for the front grille, there are two infill pieces either end. I guess they are strengthening, but I think I need to cut them to get the grille on. Should I remove them completely or just try to cut slots for the grille fixings?
I removed them, rubbed and shaped it all smooth, threw the trim away and fitted mesh behind the opening. A lot less fussy / messy and neat
Old 14th September 2018, 20:39

So just got a small update. Put some trim around each side of the frame to attach a rubber to the windows which works perfectly. Next job is getting the car in for final prep and painting, which seems to be a little difficult at the moment, getting some crazy quotes from £7k, 4K and even 5k which is crazy for the amount of work I've put in. Quotes are just based off pictures so don't believe are accurate. Would have loved Jeff at Hilltop motors to do the job but he's busy for 18months which is too long to wait as I was really wanting the car in and finished off for summer. In the meantime going to leave all the smal bits of body work and get started on taking the interior out and refreshed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6980.jpg (80.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7034.jpg (79.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7169.jpg (85.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7170.jpg (83.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 20th October 2018, 11:13

So managed to finally get what looks to be a good garage to get the car sprayed up. Unfortunately now an expert has had a look there’s lots of lines out and lots of ripples in the body work which means a possible full coal of filler which means most of my work has been in vain. Going to get regular updates and pics and hopefully the car will be ready to come back home for Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0575954B-E67A-416A-9782-2F8F0C0FCFA6.jpg (16.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 20th October 2018, 13:44

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Better to find out now rather than later.
Old 30th October 2018, 20:03

Barber is on a distinguished road

Please share Wayne's details (that sounds bad)
Old 30th October 2018, 21:21

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Nice paint job, love the colour
Old 30th October 2018, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
I think Mark should do that as it is his thread etc,

Plus without wishing to cause a Shit storm the painter was not exactly complimentary about the quality of the kit, as per usual took a lot more time than quoted for etc so not sure if he wants any more of this sort of work.

Saying that the result from the pictures looks stunning,makes me want to pull my finger out and crack on with mine.

Here are some pics and if for any reason Mark wants them removed then please ask.
Yep Wayne has done a great job and taken lots of pics of every stage which I wanted as I have pics of al the work I’ve done. Agree with Wayne regarding the kit and I had done a lot of work to remove some poor moulding and high spots but as Wayne is the pro he spotted lots more. Lots of effort and time was put into the work which without the car would have looked poor but now the car looks stunning. Still lots to do and decals to go on and interior but it’s good to see the car starting to take shape and head for the finishing line !
Old 30th October 2018, 21:46

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Stunning finish.
Old 31st October 2018, 06:32

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Wayne painted a lot of the DNA 250's and the quality of the bodies they produced was first rate. I did consider a Tribute 250 GTO but I must admit that the finish put me off. The finish on the 250 swb is much better than the GTO but still not in the same league as the DNA, saying that it is half the price and a much easier build.
Barber has said that his Z3gato is going to be painted before a mould is taken so the finish should be another step.
I think one problem people miss is that when developing a new model it takes many hours and a vast amount of money in labour terms and there is always a need to get it onto the marketplace quickly to recoup some of the costs. Bit different for large companies but hard for small companies.
My 2nd 250swb is much better finished than the first one and wouldn't take as long to build as the first one, just need to pull my finger out.
Old 26th January 2019, 12:34

So not updated in a while, been too busy with the car

Got the car back from the paint shop and started putting all the parts back on. Had Decal strips and dots put on the car so it looks like the 1963 lemans car. Also started on the interior, so taken the seats out, trimmings, carpet and dash, which wasnt a bigger job as i though it would be.

For the dash i have sprayed up the plastic with camel which is the same colour as original so just looks factory clean. For the top of the dash i re-leathered which again wasnt too bad and for the crash pads i've sprayed these up to look like a wood affect which done for the top of the door cards also.

Managed to get a company in Guisborough to do a nice leather diamond stitched tunnel cover, door cards and seats which i picked up yesterday. they look very good and was a reasonable price. Just need to re-build the seats back up.

Still lots more to do but will upload some picture when i can get the car out of the garage.

going to try and get the car on the road for summer, its itching to be driven LOL.
Old 26th January 2019, 12:40

Just a few pics for now