Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 20th July 2011, 09:10

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels

I have had a perenial problem since day one of owning my Sportster ( bought not built ). The rear of the car has disc brakes with shoes inside for the handbrake. When I purchased it I discovered that the previous plonker owner had added a compound sealant onto the four wheel bolts thus making them almost impossible to get off. I sheared three off in the process of removing them. After help from my local garage the sheared studs were removed and replacements purchased. All the compound sealant being removed first.
The wheels were specials purchased from Team Dynamics (http://www.stsmotorsport.co.uk/teamdynamics.asp), (Drifz, the first pic).
Now in order to to fit these wheels the guy had to fit a spacer from Eibach ( 25mm) which is bolted to the hub via four flush fitted bolts. You have to remove that with a box spanner. Another spacer is added to that (20mm) and the wheel is bolted through the 20mm spacer to the 25mm Eibach spacer.
Talk about complicated, my local car club has seen nothing like it.
The problem is that the wheel comes loose after not many miles leading to an horrendous noise.
I can now see why the chap sealed the bolts in place, but not helpful for puncture repairs.
I have tried removing each spacer in turn to see if it will make a difference but I can now see why it needs two. If one is removed then there is insufficient clearance between the wheel and the inside body work. With the 25mm spacer the tyre just fouls one of the bolts that goes through and holds the body panel to the chassis.
So my dilema, I believe I am being forced into buying a new set of wheels as I cannot find a suitable alternative to holding them in place, unless anyone knows different.
Also looking at other wheels, how do I purchase some without making the same mistake.
The wheel size is 225x40ZR 18. Have only looked quickly at wheel websites but its not obvious how you determine what is right.

How did you guys do it ?

Dennis
Available from eBay
Old 20th July 2011, 09:39
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

If it just fowls with the 25mm spacer, why not replace it with a 30mm spacer?

http://www.wheels.uk.com/acatalog/wh...-system-4.html

Or something bigger?

The spacers I have don't bolt on to the hubs - they sit between the wheel and the hub and use longer wheel bolts:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Gooster...prep_work.html.

The only other option is to change your wheels to something that has a different ET.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)
Old 20th July 2011, 13:39

Jason thanks for this help again, just looking at the wheels site I am tempted to go for the System 4 option, that is the hub centric spacer that is bolted to the hub, but a 45mm spacer which will give me 10mm clearance from the back of the wheel to the tub ( your words ). I could then attach my wheel to that, should have added that my bolts are non standard also, they are slim taperred bolts ( 20mm ), normal bolts like yours are far too wide to go through the wheel.
Would you consider 10mm clearance to be too small from back of wheel to the tub ?
Old 30th July 2011, 08:57

After looking at the Wheels Uk site I decided to replace the two spacers with just one big spacer. Obviously still maintain the 45mm spacing to give the same clearance. On speaking to Wheels Uk they would have to be manufactured as he did not have them in stock, so I asked for 40mm. He had those and I bought them (£125+pp). Still a cheaper option than new wheels. Might get some new ones later on though.
They arrived early last week and I had to cut down the wheel bolts by about 2mm so that there was clearance between the back of the spacer and the rear hubs. I know have the width of my finger between the the wheel and the tub, should be sufficient.
I have had one trip of forty miles and all appears quiet, so it looks like a result, but I will keep a close eye on it.
Now for all the other jobs, but I can take my time.
Thanks Jason.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:08
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

No probs - glad you got it sorted.