Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 12th August 2016, 11:57

Leo007 is on a distinguished road
Default Complete beginner

Hi,
Complete novice to this but always a life long dream to build my own car. With the old man ready to retire thought it would be a good project.

As a tight/ lazy Welshman I'm trying for something cheap - already started that my father and I can finish.....

Value for money?

or.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2L-Pinto-B...3D322224765468

or.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROBIN-HOOD...3D322224765468

Really not too sure.... HELP!

Last edited by Leo007; 13th August 2016 at 05:28..
Available from eBay
Old 12th August 2016, 20:22

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo007 View Post
...As a tight/ lazy Welshman...
Leo007 - Welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with being tight, there are quite a few budget builds on here.

However, saving money often means putting in extra effort, so lazy might be a problem.

Jokes aside, sorry I can't give you much advice on those projects (first link didn't work).

Just be aware that unfinished projects usually over estimate the % complete and underestimate the % left.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 13th August 2016, 05:28

Thanks Paul....

It really is a minefield!

Thanks for the advice - makes sense. I'm not that lazy.... honest!

When I complete my dream I'll post the photos.

Leo
Old 13th August 2016, 06:44

paul_n is on a distinguished road

Hi there

Not yet a builder nor owner of a kit car however I would seriously look up kit cars and the BIVA test on this site and on here :-

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/lic...legal-section/

The is a reason new body panels on a MX5 or BMW donor is the most popular way to go to build a different car.

What is your skill set ? wood work ? steel ? fibre-glass ?

What are you prepared to learn ?
Old 13th August 2016, 07:03

Hi,

My skill set is limited, but despite saying lazy I'm willing to learn anything and put in the elbow grease. My farther can weld and fabricate steel/wood (hope to learn from him).

My heart is set on a 7 style car, but willing to take advice from the pro's!
Old 13th August 2016, 07:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Spooky...

I just popped back here as I had another thought about IVA too.

Another thing to watch for is the age of the kit, as the rules may have changed since it was started.

So a car design that would have passed originally, may not pass now.

Note: Lots of 7 type cars pass the test, so that is a good thing.

I'd also second Paul_N's suggestion of looking at "Rods 'n' Sods".

Here is a great thread covering some of things you need to do to pass.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...gh-biva-405393

Although the key point is to build the car to pass right from the start, not finish it and then make changes.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 13th August 2016, 08:12

Thanks Paul.

I've got the bug and not bought anything yet!

Mrs Leo isn't happy but who cares 😃
Old 13th August 2016, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo007 View Post
Mrs Leo isn't happy but who cares ��
Thats easy to fix , threaten to do something even worse like building an airplane so she sees a car as quite safe and logical !

Ok so you want a Lotus Seven style car so no wood work , and you don't want turn key.

4 choices I suppose.

1) Buy a new kit , hopefully you will find a forum that supports it and examples that have been through BIVA. IIRC tho you get a ' Q ' plate

2)Buy a new kit secondhand that has never been registered , hopefully you will find a forum that supports it and examples that have been through BIVA. IIRC tho you get a ' Q ' plate

3) buy an example that has in the past been on the road but has now fallen on hard times. If you look at one of these it MUST have the V5c correctly describing the vehicle and to be safe some old MOT's showing it was once MOTed as the described vehicle. Else DVLA will see it as a new build and BIVA time.

worse case scenario

4) old kit never been registered no papers with it and no examples know to have passed BIVA

This is a good example of buyer be-aware:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-S...8AAOSwMtxXqvT5

brand new body built on a genuine Austin 7 chassis , not a cat in hells chance of getting it registered for the road , the people bidding will split it and put the body on a chassis with V5 etc and split the rest for spares.

some of it's history:-

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/stat...14055&cmd=show

I am hoping to build a new body for a Sherpa chassis and get a legal Special that way , just a rebody look up 8 point rule.

regards Paul

Last edited by paul_n; 13th August 2016 at 12:17..
Old 13th August 2016, 14:38

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Be aware of any unfinished kits that would now need to pass the give as building to pass that with a kit designed before that came,into force could be a money pit
Old 17th August 2016, 08:28

Thanks for the advice.....

I'm leaning towards option 2. 2nd hand kit that has never been registered. I have found the below link - reasonable price with engine also in the sale. The advert says no V5 is that an issue when I will IVA and run on a Q plate?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3222247654...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Leo.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:50

Leo

Well I am not a kit builder so take all this with a pinch [ bucket ] salt.

I cannot comment on the V5 issue , however I am sure someone will come along soon who can.

As for that car well it looks very rusty and very incomplete and in my mind expensive ?

Do you know how to use ' Completed items ' on Ebay ?

Look up Robin Hood I saw several that looked 75% or greater completed i.e body panels fitted matching wheels seats fitted etc and they were £1k to £1.5k then ones that had already been on the road for around £2k.

So you are not ' building' a car from a pile of bits however they all need some work and if you can drive it you can see what needs doing what can be improved and what is missing ?

Your £500 car looks cheap to you see there is no hood ? seats ? carpets ? radiator ? fuel tank ? only 1 front wing , no bonnet , one headlight ? rear lights ? indicators , wipers , windscreen ? etc etc etc

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-category-m1

Also I would download the BIVA test book [ link above ] and see what you think to all the petty hoops you need to jump through to get one on the road ? ' E ' marked glass and lights and 2 speed wipers ? etc

Being tight buying and building is one thing IIRC the BIVA is £400+ and a retest is £90 , so that needs adding to the £500 RobinHood almost enough for buying a ready registered one and getting it right ?

Found this :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=30&t=1372396

Searching Google maybe productive ?

Thats why the kit marked has gone to re-panelling MX5's etc

Not dissing your idea , and get something and get it on the road I am sure the pleasure and grin is immense , however quite a few of the unfinished one's for sale are an unrealistic proposition to get through the BIVA.

If looking for a already registered one ask to see a picture of the V5c to see what it is described as ? Ford Cortina as a base car is fine however the V5c should NOT say that ? it is illegal to sell an incorrectly registered car however if you buy it and use it and are stopped you carry the can.

Does this shape appeal ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SJ410-SJ413-SAMURAI-4X4-BODY-CONVERSION-JC-MIDGE-ROADSTER-NO-IVA-NEEDED-/122057461308?hash=item1c6b310e3c:gEgAAOSwRgJXlRn 1

Just find a nice Suzuki you get to build a new body from new parts so no rotting wood or rust/corroded panels AND you have built something.

Paul

Last edited by paul_n; 17th August 2016 at 12:16..