Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 31st May 2015, 20:02

andysharrock is on a distinguished road
Default ANDY S 250SWB build thread

so thought I should start a build thread someone may find it helpful most of the regulars will know me from my GTO build
DSCF0051.jpg
20150516_165647.jpg
I am aiming for or should I say hoping for a quick build the cars a 2002 2.2 full documented history from new. now sat in my garage in bits LOL everything I don't need has now sold on ebay and the car stands me in profit

today I mocked up the door handles so they will now open with the alfa handles and I also fitted the petrol filler tube ready dose need a bit of trimming down a bit
20150531_123457.jpg

20150531_151729.jpg

20150531_151753.jpg

all the lights have been disconnected tagged and are waiting to be reconnected air bags have been removed and a snap off steering boss fitted ready for the wood rim steering wheel to go on.
few things I am undecided on at the mo Sheffield roads have more pot holes than cats eyes so I am holding off lowering. the interior is all black leather so be a shame to change things or would it.
my kit will be here for the end of the week so going to be a long weekend.
Available from eBay
Old 1st June 2015, 12:55

wolfie is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pipe

Hi Andy

Hope the build is going well, I have just started my z3 tribute cobra build and want to do the same as you ( extending the fuel pipe ), any chance you could let me know what diameter flexible pipe i should look for + how did you fix it to the tank end.

Thanks
Wolfie
Old 1st June 2015, 13:17

hi the pipe is Ultra Flexible Fuel Filler Hose 51mm (2") - FFF51 form car builder solutions, if you take the top off the filler hose on the car its fixed on with 4 lugs around the top. bit of prizing with a screw driver and all the filler mount will come out the tube. the new tube is a snug fit down the inside of the pipe and I fixed /sealed it with PU18 High Strength Polyurethane Adhesive & Sealant and a large jubilee clip off ebay . it worked well for me . good luck with your build andy
Old 1st June 2015, 19:16

Furyblade_Lee is on a distinguished road

Hi mate, just signed up and will be watching this with interest. Planning on building a 250 SWB on a Z3 3.0.

I compete in sprints and hillclimbs in amongst others an R1 powered Sylva Phoenix, but the wife is quite keen on a SWB and who am I to argue! I will build it in the style of a racer and it will get used for competition, and have a custom cage fitted in it.
Old 1st June 2015, 20:57

that sounds like it would be one nice build, for now I am going rat look dune the well polished look and its not for me. got some well nice parts arriving from all over the place my mirrors and headlight covers have just got here from the states
$_12 (2).JPG

$_12 (1).JPG

give you a idea of the look I am going for old school all the way
Old 1st June 2015, 21:15

Yes good idea, I am not going for a concourse build either as I will be entering all sorts in hopefully, classic road rallies, hillclimbs, sprints etc. It will get "patina"'d quickly I suspect, but saying that I will build and paint it properly dont worry! Just finishing off a VW bay resto for the family then hopefully sourcing a Z3.
Old 1st June 2015, 21:35

lol meet my splitty I will still be working on her when I retire

20150419_173825.jpg
Old 1st June 2015, 21:48

WOW! Love it!
Old 8th June 2015, 11:04

Default steering wheel boss adapter

just got this
20150608_115619.jpg

20150608_115611.jpg

20150608_115601.jpg
from http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk £20 with delivery perfect fit for my steering wheel it will now bolt onto the smaller size boss.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:36

Default kits arrived well most of it LOl

kit arrived Thursday so had a few hours on it since then front of the car now striped with the crash bar removed. oil cooler rubber pipes trimmed back prob about 3 inch to allow the cooler to be fixed to the slam panel.
20150611_103754.jpg

20150612_104152.jpg

20150612_104158.jpg
main body of car fitted Friday loads of clamps and a tin of risen on the top for a good measure,left overnight to set.

20150613_092213.jpg
Old 14th June 2015, 18:53

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the build! I'm nervous about cutting oil pipes, is that 100% necessary, or just something you wanted to do to re-position the cooler? Good to see that kit can be delivered, saves a long trip to Devon

Hopefully I can connect with Tribute chaps tomorrow to get my kit discussed. Yay.

Looking forward to watching progress with interest.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:57

Default lights fitted and wired

had all Saturday fitting and wiring the lights up, the back is just short on the original so all the wiring needs to be extended by 6 inch. The front is a mare you need to release the radiator from the top and pull all the wiring back. starting at the drivers headlight make a new loom to run around the inside of the bonnet and the splice it into the original wiring loom it takes ages to do.
20150614_170455.jpg
20150614_170601.jpg
Trial fitted the boot on the hinges the gaps are spot on so things mus be well lined up.
20150613_095727.jpg
petrol recess cut out and bonded on need just a bit more filler then patch the paint.
20150614_170610.jpg

next job look at getting the doors bonded on and sorted if it ever stops raining my ducks were happy this morning if nothing else
20150613_092231.jpg
Old 14th June 2015, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Good luck with the build! I'm nervous about cutting oil pipes, is that 100% necessary, or just something you wanted to do to re-position the cooler? Good to see that kit can be delivered, saves a long trip to Devon

Hopefully I can connect with Tribute chaps tomorrow to get my kit discussed. Yay.

The oil cooler sits to far forward so it has to be moved back, its only for the power steering so don't fret over it get a clean empty tub pull a pipe off and drain it then you can put it back in when you have trimmed the rubber pipes.
Old 14th June 2015, 19:08

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
The oil cooler sits to far forward so it has to be moved back, its only for the power steering so don't fret over it get a clean empty tub pull a pipe off and drain it then you can put it back in when you have trimmed the rubber pipes.
Thanks, phew!

Happy to play with wires and body, don't want to get too involved in mechanics. Extra photos look great and looks like the ducks are taking an interest they are all up against the fence being nosey ha ha
Old 14th June 2015, 19:17

lumpy is on a distinguished road

I have tried a good long internet search, does anyone know if you can run without the cooler loop?
Old 14th June 2015, 19:20

its a ten min job to move it back if its there its got to be needed. I did not run mine until it was all refitted and filled back up
Old 14th June 2015, 20:08

Plastic Porsche is on a distinguished road

Andy

Great progress, looking forward to seeing the finished car

How much did you cut off the metal brackets at the front

I should get a few parcels this week so will make good progress on mine next weekend if the weathers good

Have you tackled the door handles yet, I have some Alfa 156 handles which I will try
Old 14th June 2015, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Porsche View Post
Andy

Great progress, looking forward to seeing the finished car

How much did you cut off the metal brackets at the front

I should get a few parcels this week so will make good progress on mine next weekend if the weathers good

Have you tackled the door handles yet, I have some Alfa 156 handles which I will try
you just need to take off the two air scoops for want of a better word one each side of the rad top to bottom. if you look at the picture of ware the bumper bar was bolted on you can make out I have cut steel off top and bottom I have gone alfa handles they worked on the mock up just need to try them with the door skin on
Old 14th June 2015, 20:59

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post

Great progress Andy. Public apologies on behalf of the couriers who caused some damage to the kit when delivering, we had been very lucky in the past, it's a shame the luck ran out with your kit. Your missing sills should have been collected on Friday by a different courier but Sod's law meant I took them to the post office on Saturday lunchtime instead, they will be with you on Tuesday.

Sorry to Ericholm for not replying to email yet, ringing is a better bet at present due to workload etc.
Old 14th June 2015, 20:59

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

It's looking god Andy, with progress like that yours will be finished long before mine. Unless you get it roadworthy then try it on the road, after that it seems a shame not to use it during the summer (When it properly starts)

Cheers, Bob.