Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th June 2020, 09:13

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

More parts arrived in the post yesterday. I've got some Fiat 500 side repeater lights that will fit neatly in the back of the side vents but still be visible from all angles. Rear lights are the Lucas L691/2, just need the rear end to fit them now ! Think I'm decided on dark British Racing Green satin finish rather than gloss for the final colour. I didn't want a blingy finish on the car, more a toned down classic look.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 10th July 2020 at 22:39..
Old 9th July 2020, 20:34

I've progressed the car a little, still waiting on the rear end and boot lid so I can get the car finished.

The under bonnet wiring has been cut back and thinned out ready to be fitted and extended where required. I've gone with black "stone chip" finish on the under side of the bonnet. This is the Hammerite stone chip, the only product they make that I actually like and would recommend ! Not to be confused with Hammerite underseal which is crap !!
In the bonnet photo you can see I've fitted cable tie pads to secure the wiring. I scraped off the double sided tape backing ( which dries out causing the pads fall off ) and attached them with PU adhesive.

That's about it until the rear end turns up. I might remake the door cards for a more retro look and I need to order a nice wood rim steering wheel, probably a good time to get the wheels freshly powder coated too.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 9th July 2020 at 23:22..
Old 9th July 2020, 20:37

photos...…..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4337.jpg (91.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4338.jpg (91.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4340.jpg (94.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 9th July 2020, 23:44

Munky is on a distinguished road

Great progress. Again I must admit to being a little envious of your project! I bet the time seems to be dragging until you get the rear end.

What does the windscreen glass proportion look against the front end when it is in place? Do you think it will need any chrome edging to try and reduce its size like the 250swb in comparison to the other proportions of the car or does it balance out well?
Old 10th July 2020, 12:22

I will fit a half round profile aluminium around the screen including the lower edge, probably a 16mm width. This worked well on my other project giving a retro look and giving better proportions to the screen. It won't need a scuttle trim like the Grassbank cars featured.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 10th July 2020 at 18:28..
Old 10th July 2020, 18:35

Just realised I've cut out the front side light wires as part of my tidy up exercise yesterday ! Lol, not too late to reinstate those before the extended loom goes in place !

I've fitted a garage door on the front of my car port ( £12 off ebay ! ) All non car related stuff ie gardening stuff, lawn mowers, garden tools, push bikes, ladders etc etc will now live in there and free up my main double garage ! What a luxury !!

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 10th July 2020 at 18:39..
Old 11th July 2020, 01:24

Thanks for the thoughts. A couple of the pics I’ve seen from above the car makes the front glass area look quite large. More a problem of perspective than anything else by the sounds of it.

I can’t wait to see some more pics of a finished kit from a few angles.

I’ve been dreaming and checking out possible local donors for this swap and just found something quite tempting. A Z3 with a V8 LS swap... Not cheap though but 400 horses at the wheels.

I still have a Caterham on its way... dang!
Old 25th July 2020, 21:14

That photo above makes the screen look out of proportion ! I'll be fitting an aluminium trim surround around the glass, that makes a big difference.

Got my wheels back from the powder coaters together with a new set of rubber, one size bigger at 235/50 - 17". These fill the arches really nicely , well at the front at least ! The old 45 profile tyres looked a bit small, the 50 profile are about 1 1/4" bigger in diameter.

Whilst I was thinking of a dark shade of Racing Green, I'm now considering Midnight Blue ! The dark blue might be better on the convertible perhaps ?

Still waiting on the rear end, hopefully it will be ready in the next week or two.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 26th July 2020 at 10:39..
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:55

This looks interesting - just noticed it on Chris’ Facebook page.
Could be a great addition to a Z3gt.
Lots of work though.

Any updates on your rear end?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E92D569-D95D-43AF-A07B-DD591AB1EC12.jpg (18.3 KB, 100 views)
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:29

I'm happy to live with the Z3 dash. Replacement door cards, seats and a smart steering wheel is enough for me.

Chris has promised an update about the rear end moulding this week so I'm hoping it will be ready soon !
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:05

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I'm happy to live with the Z3 dash. Replacement door cards, seats and a smart steering wheel is enough for me.
+1 from me. I'm long past rewiring unless it's for new functionality. I can get most diagnostic info via a wifi OBD sender onto a phone. Just more things to worry about if they are in front of you all the time!!! My driving in the Z300S doesn't include trackdays, etc where I think I might need it.
Old 4th August 2020, 17:29

Started making some new door cards. I'm using the top curved part from the Z3 with a new lower section which will have simple pocket and a pull handle. It will be more retro and less Z3 ! Another bonus is that it will do away with the moulded trough at the bottom of the stock door card which always rubs on my ankle on a long drive.

I've nearly finished the aluminium screen surround that I'm forming from 16mm half round aluminium. This worked particularly well on my 275 and is quicker and easier the second time around ! It changes the visual proportions of the screen as well as giving a retro style. I'll probably extend the trim to the door top and front quarter glass to complete the 60's look !
Old 5th August 2020, 23:22

Chris sent me the headlight covers and trims today. I've offered them up and they fit really well with just the minimum of trimming. Haven't decided whether to chrome wrap the trims or paint them, probably the latter. The perspex covers are nicely done and crystal clear !
Old 6th August 2020, 02:32

I would love to see a couple of pics of the screen surround if you get a chance please.
Old 6th August 2020, 11:20

The windscreen trim is a kit of parts at the moment that will be fitted after paint ! Here is a photo of my 275 which was given the same treatment. The only difference on the Z3GTc is a lower trim across the bottom of the screen. I'll also do the quarter window and door top the same too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4176.jpg (88.1 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 6th August 2020 at 11:23..
Old 6th August 2020, 12:42

That looks great.
Thank you.
Old 9th August 2020, 19:36

Crofty is on a distinguished road

How did you manage to bend the corners of your windscreen surround.

I would love to do it to my tribute 250 GTO headlight covers.
Old 9th August 2020, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty View Post
How did you manage to bend the corners of your windscreen surround.

I would love to do it to my tribute 250 GTO headlight covers.
To do a single 90 bend is easy. Simply heat the aluminium strip with a blow torch and bend it around a former that is cut to the correct radius. A bit of tweaking once its cooled and your done.

Headlamp surrounds are a different ball game and are best cut from a sheet of aluminium having first made a card template. More time and effort but probably the most effective method.
Old 10th August 2020, 20:38

Here are a couple of photos of the headlight surrounds supplied in the kit. The initial fit is very good. They are pretty wide though so I've trimmed them down from about 20mm wide to around 8mm wide. They look a lot more in proportion now and will be painted bright silver which will contrast well with the midnight blue paint ! I've ordered some 3mm black piping which will go between the perspex cover and inside edge of the surround just to finish them off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4351[1].jpg (86.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4352[1].jpg (92.6 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 10th August 2020 at 20:40..
Old 10th August 2020, 20:50

Crofty is on a distinguished road

They look great, what thickness aluminium are they and what did you use to trim them down.
Thanks regards Andy.