Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 21st June 2012, 09:57

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The delay in getting the bodywork is nothing to do with Gary, it is all down to me and the state of the donor vehicle

Old 21st June 2012, 12:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yes, that looks pretty bad. The best advice I could give anyone thinking about building any kind of donor based kit car is to budget for the best donor you can find. If I'd spent twice as much on my donor, around £1,800, I'd have finished my car months ago, and I've easily spent more than the difference on new parts and tools to fix the problems. I'm sure you'll get there in the end though, as will I.
Old 21st June 2012, 14:56

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Yes, that looks pretty bad. The best advice I could give anyone thinking about building any kind of donor based kit car is to budget for the best donor you can find. If I'd spent twice as much on my donor, around £1,800, I'd have finished my car months ago, and I've easily spent more than the difference on new parts and tools to fix the problems. I'm sure you'll get there in the end though, as will I.
I would wholeheartedly agree with the buy the best-donor-you-can-afford doctrine. I bought mine last August and after sorting the minor horrors that didn't show upon the road test and which the vendor inadvertently failed to mention was on the button and going like a dream after a service at Queensbury Road Garage and all ready for the conversion in February.

Seemed to have hit a snag with the body production and fitting though.....but I'm sure it'll all come good in the end
Old 21st June 2012, 19:22

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
I would wholeheartedly agree with the buy the best-donor-you-can-afford doctrine. I bought mine last August and after sorting the minor horrors that didn't show upon the road test and which the vendor inadvertently failed to mention was on the button and going like a dream after a service at Queensbury Road Garage and all ready for the conversion in February.

Seemed to have hit a snag with the body production and fitting though.....but I'm sure it'll all come good in the end
Price does not always mean best available, mine was £250 and required a single patch to the rear outrigger, just be cautious with what you find.
Free adds or Pre loved beats E bay for bargain prices.
Pops
Old 21st June 2012, 21:43

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Price does not always mean best available, mine was £250 and required a single patch to the rear outrigger, just be cautious with what you find.
Free adds or Pre loved beats E bay for bargain prices.
Pops
Some people are just born lucky....
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
Some people are just born lucky....
Yes, that does sound like a bargain. I got more than that for my bonnet...
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:20

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I think you need to rethink that dashboard........

Old 22nd June 2012, 23:14

Yikes...
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:21

I've seen a few Cobras whose owners would find that dash a bit sparse...
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:11

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Cobra-standard ejector seat button, airspeed indicator, and automatic Preparation H applicator switch are conspicuous by their absence.
Old 23rd June 2012, 13:15

Funnily enough, I seriously considered fitting one of these to my dash -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-oil...#ht_891wt_1185

I figured it would look right for the period but I doubted I would ever get it to work properly.
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:09

craigt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not much I could do to the dash while the bonding paste sets on the passenger side so I decided to make up some brackets to mount the wireless.

I thought long and hard about whether to fit such a modern device in my car, but the reality is that I'm planning to go touring in it so I'd like some music while I cross continents, and I'll also be wanting something to do while I wait at the roadside for the RAC to show up...

I looked at a few options - original Blaupunkt radios rewired for connection to an mp3 player and American 'RetroSound' units that are designed to look really old for example. I didn't like any of them though and they were all too expensive for what they were. I eventually found a Clarion model that's so modern it actually looks rather retro, if that makes sense -

I can already hear the sharp intakes of breath from the Sammio traditionalists, but I rather like it, so it's staying.
Pretty similar to the setup i'm thinking of putting in the Cordite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00520-20120623-1552.jpg (59.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:24

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Funnily enough, I seriously considered fitting one of these to my dash -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-oil...#ht_891wt_1185

I figured it would look right for the period but I doubted I would ever get it to work properly.
Mr T - Why not fit one anyway, who cares if it doesn't work?

Most people will only see it when the car is parked and all dials are at zero.

And for the record, I like your stereo.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
In the OTT dash above, I'm pretty sure they don't need button No.4.
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:02

Ha ha. Is that an eight track Craig?

I'm glad you like my wireless Paul, I don't think it looks too out of place. As for the windscreen wipers on the ott dash (is it a Bentley?), it probably had a detachable full windscreen for road use and aero screens for racing, hence the wiper switch. I'm thinking of re-using my wiper switch to turn the methanol injection system on and off and I bet nobody notices it...
Old 23rd June 2012, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mr T - Why not fit one anyway, who cares if it doesn't work?
Thing is, I'll know it's a fake. Call me Mr pedantic but I don't want any extraneous frippery on my car, I want everything to be there for a reason.

Additionally, lovely though it looks, I happen to know that the glass in the Vulcan gauges is extremely fragile: When I worked on them they were forever coming back from sorties with smashed gauge glasses. Now, either the glass was really fragile or the chinless wonders that flew them muist have been banging the gauges with their ham fists when they didn't read what they should and breaking them. As no pilot ever admitted breaking his aeroplane in my twenty three years RAF service, it must be that the glass wasn't fit for purpose. It was a common problem that was suffered by every aircraft type I worked on...
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:56

Alpha is on a distinguished road

was thinking, if you can replace the buttons on the Clarion with some like these:

PictCatal_big_bouton.1.jpg

it would REALLY look the part!

Baz from Brussels
Old 24th June 2012, 10:07

craigt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ha ha. Is that an eight track Craig?
It certainly is, it was found along with the Sharp radio above it and a Motorola radio in my Uncles house when i inherited it. There was also a couple of 8 track cartridges to go with it (one of which is propping it up in the photo).
Old 27th June 2012, 20:23

No update for a day or so as I've been sorting out the electrics, mainly installing some security measures - a proper immobiliser and a home made alarm system:

It's kind of a work in progress at the moment. I'll be tidying up all the electric string once I've finalised the details of what's staying in the loom and what's going.
Old 29th June 2012, 22:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - My Spitfire radiator has just decided to spill its guts everywhere.

So can I take you back in your build to this...

Quote:
... after finding that what I thought was a pressure activated overflow on the Honda radiator filler neck is actually an open outlet, presumably to connect to a header tank, so the coolant just piddled out of it A length of hose with a plain shaft bolt pushed in the end as a stopper soon fixed that though...

Have you had any issues running your Honda radiator without a header tank?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:12

Hi Paul. It's so far so good with the Honda radiator running without a header tank.

The length of hose I have running back to the bulkhead with the in-line filler in it gives plenty of extra coolant capacity and the water level remains constant after running it up to operating temperature. I haven't tested it on a long drive yet as I'm still at the moon rover stage and don't have private land to hoon around on like Phil J does, but it sat at idle on a blazing hot day for over an hour without overheating, so it should be fine at speed with air being force fed through it.

The only possible issue is that I haven't managed to get the heater working yet. I've put a bleed valve into the return hose but I don't seem to have any flow into the matrix - I can take the cap off the bleed valve completely with the engine running and no water comes out. I've primed it by filling the heater hoses with coolant but it just sits there doing nothing with the cap off. I don't think that's anything to do with the radiator though, it's more likely a blockage in the original heater feed hoses.

If anyone's an expert on the Vitesse heater system btw I'd appreciate any ideas on how to get mine working...

I'd say that the Civic radiator is a good bet for fitting to any Sammio as it's compact and does the job. I've gone for the standard one intended for engines up to the 125bhp 1.5 vti at forty quid brand new. It does look very small and thin compared to the old Triumph one it replaced, so if you want something that looks a bit more substantial then the alloy racing version of the same is twice as thick and great value at about £75 delivered.

I'm sure there are other suitable radiators available - I believe Trevor B used a Golf rad in No.48, but I couldn't find a new one from any other car at anywhere near the price I paid for the Civic one.

Good luck finding a suitable rad, it's all part of the challenge.