Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st April 2009, 16:31
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default rear ride height

Having done a trial fit of the rear scuttle, I was shocked at the gap between the upper aspect of the rear wheel and the outer lip of the rear wing-I cant remember which springs I have in-but the ride height need to come down maybe 5 or 6 inches.Could any other builders measure their distance from ground to lip of rear wing in a line thru the centre of the wheel.Cheers.
Available from eBay
Old 21st April 2009, 19:40
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeremy
My bodywork was fitted by Mark, and the distance from the ground to the lower lip of the rear wings is 66.6 cm (This is with 17in wheels and full fuel tank). I've had to chop some bodywork off behind the rear wheels to avoid fouling the spring seats.
Tim
Old 21st April 2009, 22:20
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeremy,
mine is 65cm with about a quarter tank of petrol. Also, its an e30 based chassis and e30 supension. 15 inch wheels.
If you used the standard cars springs I think they will need shortening but I used some aftermarket 'lowered' springs.

cheers

Peter

Last edited by peterux; 21st April 2009 at 22:20.. Reason: additaional info.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:41
Enthusiast

Default springs

Thanks guys-The problem is I want the best of both worlds-the gap between the top of the tyre and the wing lip to be as small as possible,but not have springs to short to fall out at mot/IVA or to stiff to ride in!
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:10
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Jeremy

Are you E30 or E36 based. I had some springs wound for me (E30) that give a pretty low ride height but keep the bump stops apart and are reasonably comfortable. I still have the details if you would like them.

Kind regards

Robin
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:47
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I've used coil overs on the back of mine, I can seem to find a good photo at the moment. I'll measure next time I'm in the garage

Old 22nd April 2009, 21:36
Enthusiast

Default springs

Thanks again. Robin,what springs did u you use in the end, and what ride height did it give you?I like the coil over ride height but modification needed makes my heart sink....Patrick has more stamina!!!
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:52
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Thanks again. Robin,what springs did u you use in the end, and what ride height did it give you?I like the coil over ride height but modification needed makes my heart sink....Patrick has more stamina!!!
I'll have to search for the specs - but they were made specially for me. My car rides at about the same height as Patricks with just me sat in it. (I am about 11 stone) If you go that route I would suggest you had them made perhaps 1/2" longer as I have wound down my spring plates a little.

Robin
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:10
Enthusiast

Talking springs

Thanks Robin,can you factor in 13 stone...or maybe I shud cut out the kebabs when i am building the car!
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:16
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

I just fitted some aftermarket springs to mine to get it through the MOT - back of the cars shot up an inch or 2 - haven't decided what to do yet as shorter springs feel like they'd "fall out" of the springs seats when the cars up - i.e. when it's being inspected...
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:53
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Thanks Robin,can you factor in 13 stone...or maybe I shud cut out the kebabs when i am building the car!
I found the place I got them from - it was www.dfaulknersprings.com. I can't find the spec at the moment (must have it somewhere) but I am sure they must have it on record. It was about 2 years ago I had them made. I think they were about £80 the pair. Sounds expensive but I think it was good value as they are made to order.

I don't think a few kebabs (lol) will make any difference when the weight on the rear axle is about 450kgs anyway. But I would probably have them made about 1/2" longer or perhaps 10% stiffer if I were to do it again.

Robin

PS - I am running 16" wheels with 205/55 profile tyres