Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 4th August 2010, 06:51

spart is on a distinguished road
Default Help

Hi all

Just found you! Wish I had done that 5 years ago. I'm in Wolverhampton and I've had my sportster for 5 years. It's E30 2.5 based and is no further along than the wheels and suspension.

I need a kick start to get me back into working on her as I haven't raised a spanner in anger for 3 years.

Is there anyone who lives near me who could give me a little encouragement by showing me their completed kit and perhaps some advice?

Any encouragement or advice online would also help.

Thanks.
Available from eBay
Old 4th August 2010, 07:42
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I'm in Northampton, so it's a fair distance to travel, but you're more than welcome to come and see Vikki.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:33
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road

Hi Spart and welcome. Just to let you know you are not alone. I too have had my kit for many years (E30 2.5) and I too got it part built then,for various reasons, did not touch it for over 2 years. Sorton, who also posts on here is in a similar position. I don't have the technical skills and knowledge of the others on this forum but what I will say is don't give up. I only got back to my build in may and have now progressed to the point where testing is on the horizon. I could easily have given up but I am so glad I didn't. I don't know what advice the others would give but I would say aim to get the engine in and fired up...... I know that gave me a huge boost.
Good luck
Alfie.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:40
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Spart

I'm a bit further down the road in Bedfordshire. Completed my Sportster last year. It was painted this spring. As with Jason - am always available for a chat or any questions.

Robin
Old 4th August 2010, 18:48

spart is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks all

I thought that becoming a teacher would give me loads of time during holidays, but it has had the opposite effect. I may take someone up on an offer to come and see a completed sportster, but until then thanks.

I will be in touch with questions, unfortunately I have a new mathematics specification to plan for over the next few weeks!

Please do not forget me, I will be bugging you all soon.

Many thanks. Spart.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:43
Kit Car Dreamer

raasayphil is on a distinguished road

I got my kit 7 years agon in november and am not any further forward than you - but momentum is gathering and hope to start making real progress over comimg months.

Just look at all those fabulous cars that Patrick etc have built and if that does not inspire you then...

Phil
Old 4th August 2010, 21:27

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spart View Post
Hi all

I need a kick start to get me back into working on her as I haven't raised a spanner in anger for 3 years.

If you need a good kick start whilst sitting in your arm chair you couldn't do much better than these for a prod -

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Gooster/Introduction.html

http://www.msportster.co.uk/index.asp

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/index.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/

They are all regular contributors to this forum and I hold them all entirely responsible for committing me to many lonely winter hours in the garage, a lack of a social life and much head scratching and wondering.............. But hey!! It'll be worth it in the end.

I'm behind you. I've only just ordered my Sportster. The donor's on the driveway waiting to be stripped and I'm getting started in a week or so.

I'm a fair distance from you in Reading but the thing we have in common is that we'll probably be asking the same questions.

Good luck and keep us up to date with progress. I plan to post pictures on Flickr (like marlinpeter)on the basis that if the updates dry up, some of this lot are bound to give you a prod and ask how you're getting on. Think of it as an endless kickstart....................
Old 5th August 2010, 14:50
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi Spart
Good luck ... I finished my Sportster last Dec after about 2 years, with a lot of help from these guys. So don't be afraid to ask...
And don't give us the no-time-due-to-maths-spec excuse (with my ex-head of maths hat on!!!)
All the best
Tim
Old 6th August 2010, 15:15
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Welcome, always good to know about another builder. I'm near Winchester so very far south from you. How ever if you do find yourself down this way your welcome to come have a look
Old 7th August 2010, 07:39
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Another welcome to this happy band of Sportster buiders!

Here is a little map of bulders (run by John aka Limpabit 5exi buider) and it looks like Jason (aka GOO) is your nearest.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...73,19.6875&z=6

I not aware of any builders up your part of the country but you could try contacting Tim Hawksworth at the Marlin Owners Club. He is the club's membership secretary and a Sportster owner himself, so he will probably be able to locate your nearest owner.

My own build was over a seven year period, but there were whole six month periods during that time when i didn't touch the car so don't loose heart. I actually found I made more progress in the winter months when there was less things like holidays and diy to get in the way. There is nothing like getting over your hangover by spending New Years day in a freezing cold garage! My advice is to set yourself small achievable targets, rather than the finish point. I still vividly remember the day my car passed its SVA test and I drove home in the car I built!

So what's you fist job? (after you've finished your homework!)

...peter
Old 7th August 2010, 09:49
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi Peter

You can add Sportster Builder (E30 325i base) in Biggar South Lanarkshire Scotland.

I get the impression Kit building is more of an English pastime - maybe to do with the weather up hear?

Phil
Old 7th August 2010, 20:33
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raasayphil View Post
Hi Peter

You can add Sportster Builder (E30 325i base) in Biggar South Lanarkshire Scotland.

I get the impression Kit building is more of an English pastime - maybe to do with the weather up hear?

Phil
Hi Phil,
wow, that is a long way north of Exeter!
I think you'll have to drop a PM to 'Limpabit' who maintains that Marlin Map to have your name and details added.
I hear it''s been quite warm up your way today!

...peter
Old 8th August 2010, 13:07
Kit Car Dreamer

Hi Peter

Will do.

Yes it is rather warm but very muggy!

Going to go through phots taken so far and put on web. Flikr seems popular? any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 21:09
Enthusiast

Pictures are always of great interest to the forum members.

I use Flickr and I have found it very easy to use. There may be other options now but i've not tried them.

...peter