Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 5th June 2010, 12:30
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road
Default Game On (again!)

Hi all,
Finally, finally, been able to spend some uninterrupted time in garage(a very long story). I have created some work space and set about cleaning up car. Lots of dust and some surface rust but nothing major. Will try and post pictures when more presentable. Remember, I am a complete amateur with no real engineering or mechanical background, so be prepared for some dumb sounding questions!
Main concern at the moment is engine. As you know, I had it running but it hasn't even been turned over for a long time now. Obviously I will have to do it slowly by hand at first but is there anything I should do/check first.
Thanks
Alfie.
Available from eBay
Old 5th June 2010, 18:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
Hi all,
Finally, finally, been able to spend some uninterrupted time in garage(a very long story). I have created some work space and set about cleaning up car. Lots of dust and some surface rust but nothing major. Will try and post pictures when more presentable. Remember, I am a complete amateur with no real engineering or mechanical background, so be prepared for some dumb sounding questions!
Main concern at the moment is engine. As you know, I had it running but it hasn't even been turned over for a long time now. Obviously I will have to do it slowly by hand at first but is there anything I should do/check first.
Thanks
Alfie.
Well we are all complete amateurs, so there are no dumb questions!

Glad to see you haven't given up.

On the engine, i'd take the spark plugs out, spin it up on the stater motor to get the oil back up to the top of the engine. Then pop the plugs back in and fire it up. I'd maybe change the oil and filter after running the engine hot if it's old.

..good luck,

..peter
Old 5th June 2010, 19:52
Enthusiast

Thanks Peter
I will try and summon up the courage to give it a go!

Alfie
Old 12th June 2010, 13:01
Enthusiast

Question

I have cleaned things up and turned the engine over. It turns freely enough,so that's a bonus! Not tried starting yet though. Maybe later.
I have been checking over the fuel system this morning. Remind me (dumb question no 1)......the Marlin supplied one way valve to the fuel tank is to let air in as fuel is used up, is that right? I ask because it has an arrow and OUT written on it but I have put it in with the arrow(flow) going into the tank. I know I have read about this on the forum but can't remember.

Alfie
Old 14th June 2010, 19:03
Enthusiast

Smile

Is no-one speaking to me then? Never mind, problem solved.
Went for it this afternoon and fired her up. Ran perfectly. Fantastic! I feel much happier now. What a lovely noise, especially when you only have loosely fitted sidepipes and no silencers!! Now to the wiring!

Alfie
Old 14th June 2010, 20:00
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Alfie

The one way valve is supposed to let air in. But you also need to let air out or the tank will blow up like a balloon when it gets hot (weather). I took the valve apart and made a little cut in the seal. It now lets air in (quickly) - but also lets air out (very slowly). If you don't do this the expanding fuel and air (in hot weather) can actually force a fuel leak.

If I am ever unfortunate to make the car go upside-down I can relax in the belief that fuel will only escape very slowly....

Robin
Old 14th June 2010, 20:38
Enthusiast

Thanks Robin. I had an idea that was the case and managed to find the info on Patrick's site yesterday, so thanks to you too Patrick and Richard.
Like you Robin, I am on a mission to use the donor loom as much as possible, not for any cost reasons but because I painstakingly took it out, everything was working perfectly and I don't like waste. I think I have worked out about 90% of it and removed most unnecessary parts like ABS, electric roof/windows and central locking looms. I am hoping to work out the last few pieces of the puzzle tomorrow but if I get stuck I will call on you.

Alfie
Old 14th June 2010, 21:52
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is no-one speaking to me then? Never mind, problem solved.
Went for it this afternoon and fired her up. Ran perfectly. Fantastic! I feel much happier now. What a lovely noise, especially when you only have loosely fitted sidepipes and no silencers!! Now to the wiring!

Alfie
Hi Alfie,
sorry didn't mean to ignore you! I think Robin has explaned the problem with the Marlin valve. I've also read that you can drill a small hole in the filler cap, but I din't fancy that.
Whilst I had my rear tub off for painting, I removed the Marlin supplied valve and I fitted one of these....
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3...duct_info.html

I'll let you know if it works when I turn my car over ;-) (Only joking, Robin!)

Anyway, good to hear you've got your engine running again!
Old 14th June 2010, 22:35
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks Peter. I may well invest in one of those.

Alfie
Old 16th June 2010, 14:00
Enthusiast

Had a visit from Stuart last night. He helped me make sense of the remaining wiring issues and advised on several other points,so thanks for that. I have some free time now,so hope to make real progress this month.
Stuart's car is looking good and sounding even better!
Old 16th June 2010, 14:25
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Good stuff - can't wait to see more pics of your progress!
Old 16th June 2010, 22:04
Enthusiast

Question

IVA question.... Does the speedo need to have KPH markings as well as MPH? I seem to remember reading this somewhere but have just been looking at IVA online manual and it only mentions MPH. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks, Alfie
Old 16th June 2010, 22:35
Enthusiast

I was told that you need both.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:21

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

IVA Manual only requires MPH.

They can't (shouldn't!) fail you for not complying for an unpublished requirement.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:47
Enthusiast

Thanks. I agree Chris but s*d's law says they will! Jason, do you recall who told you KPH was needed?
Old 17th June 2010, 14:09
Enthusiast

I'm pretty certain I got that from the forum. That's why I ensured my Speedo had both.

It wasn't mentioned by the inspector. It could be that it was a requirement at one point in the draft IVA, but like the clause that would have banned side-pipes, it got ditched at the 11th hour

Have you got your clocks yet? ETB do some nice ones - Both Robin and I have them fitted to our cars.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:27
Enthusiast

I have to go to Taunton tomorrow, so I will call in at the test station and ask.
Plenty of other things to do in meantime. I actually have a very nice (well I like them) set of VDO clocks which I bought over 2 yrs ago. They have never been out of the box and I am still quite keen to use them.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:33
Enthusiast

Evening all. Not posted for a while.... been a busy boy, so I thought I'd give a quick progress report.
I have sorted the wiring and worked out the runs front and back. The wires have been put into protective sleeving, so looks much better. Just a bit of tidying to do up under dash.
I have created possibly the worst looking dash in kit car history, mainly because I am desperate to get tested and on road but cant decide on a final dash or trim setup. This will do for now and I will sort properly over winter.
My son and I have spent hours setting up the exhaust system (side pipes,same as Gooster).... fitting, refitting, rerefitting etc. Finally happy that it was even both sides, left it for about an hour then heard a crash! Silencer rubber mount on driver's side had split apart! Maybe it was because it was left in a box in garage for years or maybe I put too much tension on it but on inspection it doesn't look very well made. Jason, I would check yours.
Today I have aligned both doors and fitted latches and catches.... both working fine and lined up rear tub, so gradually getting there. I have also repositioned a front brakepipe which Stuart pointed out was very close to exhaust.
Progress is finally being made!

Alfie
Old 9th July 2010, 23:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
My son and I have spent hours setting up the exhaust system (side pipes,same as Gooster).... fitting, refitting, rerefitting etc.
Ah, I remember like it was only yesterday...

Quote:
Finally happy that it was even both sides, left it for about an hour then heard a crash! Silencer rubber mount on driver's side had split apart! Maybe it was because it was left in a box in garage for years or maybe I put too much tension on it but on inspection it doesn't look very well made.
Really? Wow. I'll check mine, but they where fine today when I blatted Vikki through hyperspace on the way to and on the way back from work - so perfectly OK under load. If yours failed at rest, I'd suspect duff components.

Which way round did you mount the rubber bobbins? Horizontally or Vertically? Mine are vertical:

Old 10th July 2010, 11:06
Enthusiast

Vertically, same as you. The metal plate on the outer side, holding the threaded part, just came away. It looks like the thread is tack welded to the plate, which is then stuck to the rubber. the thread does not go into the rubber at all. I'm just glad it happened now, in the garage, not out on the open road! No harm done.

Alfie