Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th July 2015, 20:41

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Cool 250 SWB wheel size confirmation

I finally got to put a wheel on as couldn't fit it with Z3 Sill in place, I'm looking for confirmation that the small metal tab (shown in picture below) can be bent away from wheel so I know that they will fit ok, else have to go for smaller tyre which I don't really want to do.

Available from eBay
Old 27th July 2015, 20:46

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
I'm looking for confirmation that the small metal tab (shown in picture below) can be bent away from wheel
I have. In fact with the body in place it sticks out unless you bend it inside (or cut it off) so would look a little odd to leave it there.
Old 27th July 2015, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
I have. In fact with the body in place it sticks out unless you bend it inside (or cut it off) so would look a little odd to leave it there.
Super chuffed to hear that

So they are 235\65\17 8" across on ET35 alloy not sure they will fit on front but will give it a good go.

Site I used to verify differences for rear wheel and tyre combo:

Last edited by ericholm; 27th July 2015 at 21:03..
Old 27th July 2015, 22:50

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Yes you can bend it forward and screw the panels to it. Taller the tyre the better!
Old 27th July 2015, 23:50

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

What is it with everyone going for extra large wheels and tyres ? The real Ferrari never had doughnut style tyres , they were quite modest. The red demo car by new body has massive rubber too , it just looks too much imo.

Ultra low profile doesn't look right either , then there are problems trying to get it all under the arches without it rubbing .
Old 27th July 2015, 23:53

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/...f7aa00e5_b.jpg

Why go bigger and wider than this ?
Old 28th July 2015, 06:05

mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road

as long as you make sure you use CORRECT tyres with V coding and not truck tyres that are able to do max 100Mph
Old 28th July 2015, 08:07

Thumbs up

I guess it's down to personal preference, sorry but I'm not being rude however if I'm spending a shed load of money and time on building a car then I'll fit what I like, which may not be to everyone's taste, which is fair enough. If you google the Le Man 1961 no.14 car with the blue stripe the tyre walls are huge, this is the look I want. However I did spend a lot of time making sure these tyres are W rated as the ones on the car were this rating. I've got a massive issue with speedo calibration with this set up though, thinking of ways around that currently. As have 17% difference. 3.0 engine should have enough power to cater for difference, I think if I had a 1.9 it would struggle possibly. It looks like the easiest solution is to change the speedo gauge numbering format to a z3m set which pretty much matches the setup change, but I need to do more research and will be going over a previous change already as I have swapped to cream gauges already.
Old 28th July 2015, 08:45

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... I've got a massive issue with speedo calibration with this set up though, thinking of ways around that currently...
For accurate calibration (at least to 70mph) I can recommend using a cycle speedo which triggers using a magnet on the wheel rim.

I ask for at least one clip-on weight to be used on the inner rim by the tyre shop. The magnet clings to that, helped by epoxy or filler.

The accuracy is only dependent on how you measure the rolling circumference of the wheel (in mm !!!)- chalk tyre and road, roll car one wheel rev, chalk road again, measure distance. And that will change as the tyre wears obviously.

Last edited by IanA; 28th July 2015 at 08:47.. Reason: My last cycle speedo cost £4 at Tesco...
Old 28th July 2015, 08:54

That's really a good idea and suggestion, cheap and accurate, Thanks!!!
Old 28th July 2015, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
What is it with everyone going for extra large wheels and tyres ? The real Ferrari never had doughnut style tyres , they were quite modest...
The correct tyre for the 250GTO is a 185VRx15*. Only available as a classic tyre- these seem to cost about £250.

A respectable brand 205/65x15V could cost around £50.

Last edited by IanA; 28th July 2015 at 10:27.. Reason: * Or even a 6.00x15 or 6.50x15 crossply tyre.
Old 28th July 2015, 09:04

Quote:
That's really a good idea and suggestion, cheap and accurate, Thanks!!!
You're welcome- think about it- to achieve a 10% error, you'd have to get the circumference measurement wrong by 180mm (over 6 inches) !!!
Old 28th July 2015, 09:12

Old 28th July 2015, 09:39

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I guess it's down to personal preference, sorry but I'm not being rude however if I'm spending a shed load of money and time on building a car then I'll fit what I like, which may not be to everyone's taste....
Spot on! This is the reason that I love these type of kit cars, none of them will be the same with everybody putting their own ideas into each build which adds character. I think that it would be very boring to see everybody build exact replicas and since the originals vary massively in so many ways, this would not be accurate in any case.
Old 28th July 2015, 12:58

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As have 17% difference. 3.0 engine should have enough power to cater for difference, I think if I had a 1.9 it would struggle possibly.
Your car must feel much more sluggish with the new wheels and tyres - due to their additional mass and because you need to gain almost 40lbs ft of torque to make up for losses due to the taller gearing that they've introduced.

Quote:
It looks like the easiest solution is to change the speedo gauge numbering format to a z3m set which pretty much matches the setup change, but I need to do more research and will be going over a previous change already as I have swapped to cream gauges already.
Could you not use a GPS speedo on your phone?
Old 28th July 2015, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
Your car must feel much more sluggish with the new wheels and tyres - due to their additional mass and because you need to gain almost 40lbs ft of torque to make up for losses due to the taller gearing that they've introduced.

Could you not use a GPS speedo on your phone?
Not sure yet as haven't had all tyres fitted onto rims in case it doesn't look right or fit into the arches without some reasonable gap. Will let you know if/when kit is on with wheels and take it for a drive. GPS on phone is an option also, would need to mount it somewhere, as would be much larger that Cycle speedo option which could be more discrete.....hmmm, thanks for the suggestion it is welcome, Iv'e also asked on the Z3 forums and there are some interesting ideas, specifically around dividing the signal from the speed senor, etc.
Old 28th July 2015, 23:46

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Here's a speedo re-calibrator adaptation
http://tinyurl.com/ncdap68