Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 4th March 2010, 09:15
Kit Car Dreamer

martin butler is on a distinguished road

like i said its a mine field , i think that what they(the EU ) are trying to do is to kill off the kit car movement for instance, you as in my case are interested in historic kit cars, but you would find it impossible , or down to cost not viable to save older kit cars from disapearing i think that SVA and IVA whilst being necessary should have had been set from the manufactor date of the body,or chassis after all it takes years to build a car from scratch
Old 4th March 2010, 10:48
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I agree with both of you. I think they are trying to kill off kit cars. And the only way I can see that a car has been built and completed before the 10 years, is MOT's, registration doc etc. Other wise, it's still in build state.

Or have a chassis you are going to use with the registration doc. Eg VW Beetle chassis conversion with age related reg docs.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:28
Kit Car Dreamer

true, but how can you proove age if say its a car that has been just off road and never been registered you wont have any mots tax etc to go by , i have seen several now that have been built but not used on the road, so how do you go about getting a car registered then? if you ask me the whole sva/iva thing has not been very well thought out either it should have been no age related rules or a system where a local examiner , from your local car club or something checks the body and chassis, and then depending on that you either have to go though sva /iva route or you get a Q plate and need an MOT , anything has got to be better than the current one size fits all rules
Old 4th March 2010, 15:28
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

As I've seen and been told by VOSA. It's up to the individual to PROVE the age of the vehicle sufficiently, not VOSA to disprove. That means if they think it's not sufficient, then it fails. Only way I can see how to do this is a reg document and MOT's etc.

That's why you see people advising about buying part built kit cars, to make sure the donor has a reg document. If not, it's a mine field to prove and convince. Not sure on the rules for a Q plate though with individual parts.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:50
Kit Car Dreamer

well because of the possibility of buying something and the extra cost of registration and iva im putting off getting another car and saving up to get something thats already registered and will only need an MOT , in the long term it would be a cheeper option to spend an aditional £500 on a car than to have to spend it on government red tape so i would have to say that the days of buying something that needs work is only going to get harder