Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th July 2015, 21:56

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default Indicator stalk wiring

I am struggling up get my indicators to work, does any one have any wiring details for the e36 indicator stalk? I currently have the flasher relay supplying power to the input side of the indicator switch (from pin 49a of the flasher relay) but I am not getting any life when flicking the indicator switch.
Available from eBay
Old 20th July 2015, 08:40
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I know that its easy to find the entire E30 wiring diagram on t'internet but never looked for e36. However that may not be of much use as they don't always show indivudual connections. I would start by taking a multimeter and checking what are the physical connections of the indicator switch. It should be straightforward (ish) after that.

I used a stripped down original BMW loom. It was a lot of work to identify and strip out all the unused wires but the plus side is that I didn't have to worry about stuff like indicators hazards etc. It was all plug n play...

Cheers, Robin

PS - Found it. Have a look here http://www.e36club.ru/faq/E36_Sedan_...after%2093.pdf
Old 20th July 2015, 21:45

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
I am struggling up get my indicators to work, does any one have any wiring details for the e36 indicator stalk? I currently have the flasher relay supplying power to the input side of the indicator switch (from pin 49a of the flasher relay) but I am not getting any life when flicking the indicator switch.
I had the correct wiring diagram for my E36 and it was of little help

I spent a good couple of hours with a multimeter mapping the terminals on the stalk switch, and that was only after I had worked out which terminal the indicator live and the flash / main beam supply should be connect to

I have a full set of 1994 E36 wiring diagrams if they are any use. If you PM me your Email I can send them to you.

Nigel
Old 20th July 2015, 22:07

morris is on a distinguished road

I remember this taking a bit of testing to work out. The wiring diagrams say what's what but not how they work. From my notes where I chopped off the BMW connectors and popped an 8 way on...The pin numbers won't help but the colours may

Indicator Stalk to 8 way multi connector
1 – BRN – Ground
2 – YEL/RED – BC when brought to ground pin 1
3 – GRN/YEL – Main Beam Flash when contact to pin 4
4 – WHT – To High Beam relay and dash
5 – BLU – Right Indicator
6 – BRN/RED – Live from Horn relay - grounded on column
7 – GRY – Left Indicator
8 – YEL – High Beam on – From the main Off/Sides/Head switch

Indicator Stalk - left on original connector
GRY/BRN – unknown
GRY/YEL – unknown
GRY/GRN – unknown
GRY/BLU – unknown
Old 20th July 2015, 22:23
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
The Bentley manual shows the Turn Signal switch as a low'ish current switch signal going to the combined Hazard/Turn Signal module.The module has internal relays that switch the lamp current.
I'm not sure, but the indicator switch may not be happy switching the full current of the indicator lamps?
Old 27th July 2015, 20:56

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

Managed to get it all sorted! Thanks!