Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 28th January 2015, 16:23

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave - You know the rules...

If there are no photos, then you can not claim to have not done any work!

Doors & door cards?

What are these strange things you speak of?

Jokes aside, I've been thinking about fitting an extinguisher myself, but no haven't made a final decision yet.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 28th January 2015, 21:05

swifty is on a distinguished road

As they say great minds think alike, i too could not resit the bargain fire extinguisher from Lidl but not sure on the plastic bracket....umm
Old 30th January 2015, 08:55

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers Swifty. I know what you mean about the mounting bracket. I might try and make/acquire something in Stainless. I think i know what I'm after and i'll keep a lookout, but the plastic will do for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Dave - You know the rules...
If there are no photos, then you can not claim to have not done any work!
Doors & door cards?
What are these strange things you speak of?
ohhh he's getting cheekier!

Fair point about the photos tho. so....

Cut sheet aluminium roughly to shape and drilled fixing holes

Then fitted riv-nuts in the door shells and screwed the alloy in place.
Doing this made it take the curve of the doors, helped along with the big-rubber-ammer

Then i need some way to get to the door release cables, so I've decided to copy the Countach approach and cut two recesses and fit cubby-boxes.

So i marked out roughly the shape i want and then drilled a few big holes to get the snips through

That was roughly cut out with the tin snips

Then the final shape was nibbled away with the aviation snips and turned out exactly how i wanted

I also found that Aviation snips are good at trimming fibreglass as well and without causing all of the normal dust and fumes!
Next, the door boxes
Old 30th January 2015, 08:57

BTW, if you hadn't spotted it, i have no space to work on things this big in my garage, so i've joined Paul in trying to do work outside in between snow/rain showers!
The plank of wood is to try and minimise damage to the door, and my knees!
Old 30th January 2015, 21:26

Dave - Great job on the doors.

Shame you have to work outside, as I know that is a pain at the moment.
( I've spent too long lying on the cold ground recently. )

Good luck, Paul.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:53

It's SO Cold!!!!! So it's currently lots of little jobs, or jobs chopped up into smaller parts!

The rear part of the car has now had the paint flatted and polished so i could fit the rear lights and the period reflectors that i picked up which i quite like as they come on angled rubber mounts!

When i was selling the Lambo and thinking about all the things i was going to do on this build i did have it in mind that I was going to cut out parts of the rear and recess the lights... and... and... and...

But I've decided to keep it simple for this first phase so I've ended up with the below: (which despite everything being measured when positioned, does look wonky in this photo!!!)

I've also quickly fabricated an alloy heat shield/trim in the same manner as my filler cap ring, to tidy up around the exhaust.

And the reason that it's still up on axle stands is that I've been paneling in the rear wheel arches. Those are nearly done and just need a bit of tidying up.

Nearside:

(yes i know i need to level the bottom of the panels where they join )

Offside

The join needs to be fettled (whacked with an ammer) to flat it out, but my fingers were numb by this point!

I am quite happy with how they have turned out and the curved panels around the ends of the fuel tank mounts i am especially happy with, despite them being cut and formed on my lap, while sitting on a plank of plywood on the drive!
Old 5th February 2015, 09:00

And then it was the doors..

Always the doors...

I will be SO glad when these are finished and fitted as they have been a right royal pain! Espeically as they are an awkward shape to work with and not exactly small so have mainly had to be done outside so that i don't get "too" much dust in the garage!

The endless rounds of sanding / filling / flatting, left me with them like this.

They then got cleaned and primered, with any other parts nearby covered in newspaper and dustsheets to avoid overspray as far as possible.

I'll be so glad when everything is fitted on the car as it's getting a tad cramped in the garage atm...

Old 5th February 2015, 14:57

Dave - It looks like you are making very good progress despite the bad weather.

The panelling for the rear inner wheel arches looks the business & I like the simple rear lighting layout too.

Glad to hear that your battle with the doors is nearly won.

I might even "borrow" your alloy exhaust shield idea, or at least, a variation on that theme.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:03

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice wheel arch liners, DC.

My rear lights also look wonky in some pictures but not in the flesh. It seems to depend on the angle the picture is taken at. I think it's an optical illusion caused by the curves of the rear deck area, and, seeing as how the Miglia back end is exactly the same as the Sammio Spyder (through sheer coincidence, I'm sure...), it's not surprising it shares some of the same idiosyncrasies.

Indicators look wonky in this shot -

But they're actually not -

Ahh, the seaside. Can't wait for a bit of dryer/warmer weather, sigh.
Old 5th February 2015, 19:59

garyh is on a distinguished road

Looks amazing, how do you attach the aluminium panels to the bodyshell?
Old 9th February 2015, 16:05

Cheers guys. hummm..... beach.....

GaryH - I've filled the gap between the panels and the bodyshell with L-section alloy strip, or hand-beaten L-section for the interesting curvy bits.

On the top of those section i have used tiger-seal to adhere them to the underneath of the body-shell and then they are then riveted to the alloy panels. When firmly in place i then sealed around the edges with more Tigerseal and when that's dry i plan on glooping on some of that lovely thick tarry black wheel arch liner jollop everywhere to absorb any stones that are thrown up. This approach worked really well on the rear of the Spyder, although this time around i plan not to get any of that black cr@p in my hair as last time i had to get the wife to cut it out!!

This pic is looking up and to the rear of the passengers side arch. It doesn't look the tidiest as i'd just started sealing the edges when i thought to take a pic before it all went black! But it does show Hows it's all put together.

Old 9th February 2015, 16:07

Note: there is no panel across the top underneath the fibreglass shell. I know some will do that to stop stones impacting the shell and possibly damaging the paint. But as i mentioned, on the Spyder i simply coated the inside of that part of the shell with a few layers of that thick black wheel arch gloop, and it did fine for as long as i had it.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:42

The inner rear wheelarches are now lined and they have been coated in 2 thick coats of this gloop:
http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/underbody_seal.jsp

and so, it seems, has my garage floor... coveralls... walls... and anything else the brush even mildly looked at! But.... NOT my hair!!!

Joking aside, For anyone who's not used this sort of underbody seal before, BEWARE! it gets absolutely everywhere and i'm really glad i was wearing gloves and thick coveralls as it's a nightmare to get off of skin.

I have also fitted the new gaskets to the carbs and the material for the 2nd part of my grill has turned up

I've also done yet more sanding, filling, priming etc. on the doors and i'm "nearly" ready to paint them and get them on the car as i'm now fed up of bumping into the bl00dy things!!

Next - some minor paint corrections due to me being a numpty!
Old 13th February 2015, 10:53

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Good job on the wheel arches Dave! The alloy looks superb with all the rivets!
Old 17th February 2015, 13:39

Well what a weekend that was...

I picked up my pressed alloy (B&W) number plates and fitted those and what a motivation boost that was!

I also picked up the door edging strip and fitted it around each door where the alloy and fiberglass meet and it _really_ starts to make things look more _finished_

I also measured (twice) the rubber seal i'd need for the bonnet and managed to pick up a 5m length at the weekend.

Fitted it looks superb!

Although sadly the bonnet no longer closes!! as the D part is simply not compressing enough

So I've left that for now and will come back to that when i regain my sense of humor....

Additionally to that, i also manged to pick up replacement temp and fuel gauges at the auto-jumble on Sun and so i now have a working Fuel gauge
(Note to the original owner of my Vitesse as i know he'd want to know - both the fuel tank sender and the gauge were gone in the end )

I've also done the paint corrections on the main tub, painted the drivers door red and _finally_ finished filling pin holes in the passengers door!!

Jobs for this week..... TBH i've got so much done the weekend i want a few days to get my head around what's left
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:26

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Just read the whole tread,i am impressed by the attention to detail and build quality.........only one advice,loose the powder extinguishers.
They may be cheap but are totally useless,you can't put out more fire as a lighter and if it goes off by accident it will destroy all electrics,alloy connectors and more.
For a car fire you should use a Halon extinguisher or another non agressive agent and at least a 2kg bottle.
When a powder bottle went off by accident in one of our trucks at work there was so much damage the truck(2 years old)was a total loss.....
René
Old 24th February 2015, 18:44

swifty is on a distinguished road

Its looking great Dave, can't wait to see the whole car outside, may be a video of you burning up the open road.
Old 25th February 2015, 10:23

Cheers guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneanglia View Post
only one advice,loose the powder extinguishers.
They may be cheap but are totally useless,you can't put out more fire as a lighter and if it goes off by accident it will destroy all electrics,alloy connectors and more.
For a car fire you should use a Halon extinguisher or another non agressive agent and at least a 2kg bottle.
When a powder bottle went off by accident in one of our trucks at work there was so much damage the truck(2 years old)was a total loss.....
René
Hi René, thank you so much for sharing that, i never knew and i'll certainly rethink the extinguisher before i go much further!!
Old 25th February 2015, 15:11

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Halon is a bit expansive,a good foam extinguisher is affordable and will do the job,foam is'nt agressive........
Foam extinguishers are sometimes available on fairs,nice shiney old ones which are refillable............foam extinguisher need to be checked and refilled once every 5 years.
Old 27th February 2015, 10:20

Cheers matey.

--

While I've not been making a massive amount of progress over the past two weeks due to real life getting in the way, i am getting there!

The dash instruments are all now in and working and I've just got to tidy up routing of the speedo cable. The hole i had to cut in the dash between the large dials to get to my main earth point, I've decided just to blank off for now using more alloy and rivets, but ultimately i am thinking about fitting a period analogue clock there

When i had finished fabricating and fitting the vertical grill, i had also purchased an off-cut of interwoven stainless mesh off of this company who also advertise on e-bay.
http://www.themeshcompany.com/
The mesh is going behind the side vents, but before i chopped it up i held a bit behind the grill just to see what it looked like, and it looked a _lot_ more... "finished".

So i purchased a larger sheet and i am now using the same mesh on the side vents and also behind the grill!

It looks good in the garage and i can't wait to see what it looks like out in the open.