Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd May 2015, 18:08

smonza is on a distinguished road
Default Ribble Pilot screen support

Hi fellow Ribble/sammio builders

I bought a Pilot kit last September from Andy Powell, but when I went to collect it the screen support was missing. He said he was going to send it on, but weeks went by and no support. After countless emails, text and phone calls were ignored I spoke to Mick Moore. He is going to sort out a price for me but said it may be worth asking if anyone has a spare on the forum.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:53

Rene is on a distinguished road

I have no spare, but i knowing the screen was made out of a makrolon plate,which is approved from the automotive industry for roadgoing racecars... This sheet was bolted trough of the moulded carbodywindowsill.Some one here in the net added a alloylayer outside to.
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

smonza - Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I've already given away my screen support to another builder (and it was for a Cordite/Navigator anyway).

However, I did make a small wind deflector for my aero screens, so if you can't find one, you could always make one.

I started with a "former", added some fibreglass, removed the former, then added some more fibreglass and filler.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
It would be great if you could start a build thread with some photos to show us how you have been getting on.
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:38

swifty is on a distinguished road

Hi Smonza I still have the screen support made from fiberglass as i made my own out of ally sheet and to be honest the quality of the supplied support is rubbish, its sitting in my shed at the moment and you are welcome to it, it is of course supposed to fit the navigator i say "supposed" rather lightly as it does not fit the body i have.

I think you will be better off making your own that way it will fit the body you have and its not a structural part so no issue there.
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:03

Many thanks for your reply's
Would you say there is much of a difference between the screen area of navigator and pilot? Mine is a pilot body and navigator bonnet.
Thanks for the offer of the screen support, I'm in Sheffield but were are you for possible pick up?
Also while I asking questions, what is the material used for the screen?
Thanks all
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:43

I think no, there isn't, i have the same mixup at my car which is
at heroldframe with a navigator bonnet which gave a very nice harmonic design. They called it Pilot. The Navigatorbonnet was negotiated as one part of the standartisation which made sence.
I see also not a difference between the sammios, pilots,or what else except the bid different wheel distance Spitty,Herold, or what else. with cutted carbodies and widen up to fit. The difference is more to find in nice words... (-;....

Last edited by Rene; 3rd May 2015 at 19:47..
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:48

I think no, there isn't, i have the same mixup at my car which is
at heroldframe with a navigator bonnet which gave a very nice harmonic design. They called it Pilote. The Navigatorbonnet was negotiated as one part of the standartisation which made sence.
I see also not a differnce between the sammios, pilots,or what else except the bid different wheel distance Spitty,Herold, or what else. with cutted carbodies and widen up to fit. The difference is more to find in nice words... (-;....in concept view.
But there are some small variation in the dimension depence at the mouldgeneration copied and modified out the original sammiomouldingbase... That means the full screen can only fit, when they take a schablone from the windowsilllines.

Last edited by Rene; 3rd May 2015 at 20:46..
Old 4th May 2015, 06:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

smonza - I'm not sure if there is much of a difference.

The Cordite/Navigator support that Swifty has was designed to form a 3 piece screen.

Whereas the support for the Spyder/Pilot was deigned for a single screen.

However, the supports clearly look similar(ish), but may not be interchangable.

As for the screen itself, this is a clear perspex type material.

Hope that helps, Paul.
Old 4th May 2015, 06:57

I would propose,make a paper schablone and let it cut out from the plate.
Thats the safer way...They copied one mould from the other and modified the parts and copied again...that means between the navigator and spyder could be a very little mm difference,which is difficult to modify afterwords at the screen...
Note; perspex is not approved in every country in crashperformce..Makrolon is more flexible and has a higher e modulus.
Old 5th May 2015, 16:59

Smonza i will dig the surround out and take a picture with it on the navigator body, but from what i remember the fit was useless fit.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:15

Thanks Swifty that is most kind, and thanks to Rene and Paul L for your info and ideas. I will see about uploading some photo's, not done this before but how difficult can it be. My car is a 1967 1200 convertible which I have had for about 22 years. I donated the body to the spitfire graveyard in sheffield, but it was in a poor state. Although the chassis was in top nick with original engine and gearbox.
Old 5th May 2015, 19:29

davecymru is on a distinguished road

In case it's of use and you're in my kneck of the woods, I also have a spare Miglia screen support in the garage that you're more than welcome to have a chop about with?

TBH I've no idea if it's exactly the same as the Sammio/Ribble, but it looks damn similar to my old Sammio one (the Red car above) as that area of the cars is.... remarkably similar..... (no comments please!!! )
Old 6th May 2015, 13:59

My screen was bandsaw cutted over a schablone out of the plate, drilled and then final drilled in to the sill and bolded.
Looking very nice as the total car.

Regards

Rene
Old 6th May 2015, 14:02

The pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side1.jpg (57.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 6th May 2015, 14:04

garyh is on a distinguished road

Nice to see something that went ok.
Old 6th May 2015, 19:04

Hi,
Is that your car Rene, if so, that's the car me and my wife sat in at Andy's workshop in Layland. And I think I'm going with that colour, I believe its Jaguar primrose yellow.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:20

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post

TBH I've no idea if it's exactly the same as the Sammio/Ribble, but it looks damn similar to my old Sammio one (the Red car above) as that area of the cars is.... remarkably similar..... (no comments please!!! )
They screen supports supplied by Miglia will fit a Sammio in the same way as an original Sammio item.
Old 11th May 2015, 20:12

Photo as promised of the fiberglass screen surround, you can see the fit is not the best, that's why i suggest you make your to suit your car.

IMG_5320.jpg
Old 12th May 2015, 19:13

Thanks Swifty, I see what you mean, it do's look naff. I think I will call on a friend who works with s/s and see what he thinks.
Many thanks to all