Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st March 2007, 21:17
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Yup, that's pretty much all there is to it.
I used the top connections of the swirl tank for the low pressure so that it should always be full (at least that is the theory!)

I didn't fancy putting the fuel system on the same side as the exhaust, so I mounted my swirl pot, filter and high pressure pump on the inlet (cooler) side of the engine.
Robin (aka Martinclan) did the same and has pictures and a diagram on his website.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/pictures2.htm
He used a slightly diffrent combined return path.

atb

Peter
Old 22nd March 2007, 07:41
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I didn't fancy putting the fuel system on the same side as the exhaust, so I mounted my swirl pot, filter and high pressure pump on the inlet (cooler) side of the engine.
Peter
No, neither do I! I'll be taking a leaf out of everyone else's books and run the fuel down the inlet side. It makes more sense anyway, as that's where the fuel is needed anyway...
Old 24th March 2007, 20:23
Kit Car Dreamer

Will5 is on a distinguished road

At risk of sounding foolish, what are the pressure ratings for low and high pressure pumps? Would the original BMW pump qualify for one or not if so which one?

I have just been to a motorsports day at Stonelieigh, I asked at several stands if they had low pressure pumps but got blank looks. I must have been asking the wrong question so I decided to give up. Once more confuessed

Can anyone help, thanks.

Will
Old 25th March 2007, 19:46
Kit Car Dreamer

PJC is on a distinguished road

Will,

I actually haven't fitted a low pressure pump, but a bosch version that's used on injection cars.

This way there's certainly enough input in the swirlpot. I went to the ... (how do you call it where all old used cars are?) and bought one for 5 euro. Cleaned it and fitted it on vibration dampers.

Only problem that can occur is when tight corners and low fuel level give some air in the pump. This must not happen too long otherwise they will be overheated, but friends in Dax Rush which use such pump say that you can hear when this happens through the noise (after the 3th round at a roundabout !)

Peter-Jan
Old 27th March 2007, 20:30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will5 View Post
At risk of sounding foolish, what are the pressure ratings for low and high pressure pumps? Would the original BMW pump qualify for one or not if so which one?

I have just been to a motorsports day at Stonelieigh, I asked at several stands if they had low pressure pumps but got blank looks. I must have been asking the wrong question so I decided to give up. Once more confuessed

Can anyone help, thanks.

Will
Will,

the low pressure pump is typically used for carburreters and is arounf 4-6psi. It pumps the fuel from the tank up to the 'swirl' tank. From thre you use a high pressure pump designed for fuel injection systems. My donor had a high pressure pump but it was mounted inside the petrol tank so not suitable for the Marlin fuel tank. My advice is to just bite the bullet and buy the pumps direct from Marlin. They are not much more than buying separately and you know you'll get the right spec pumps.
cheers

Peter
Old 8th April 2007, 15:54
Kit Car Dreamer

Will5 is on a distinguished road

Peter,

Thanks for the information, I will have to bite the bullet and put another order into Marlin.

Cheers

Will
Old 11th April 2007, 08:19
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Well, after much prevarication and endless questions, I got my major fuel lines in during the easter break:

Like most of you, I went for 8mm copper hard pipes to do the major runs down the length of the car.

The lines where they pass through the bulkhead at the rear of the chassis:

I then routed the pipes up toward the top left hand side of the rear of the car. My thinking behind this is that it'll be easy to route flexi's from this point to any where on the tank / lp pump, and keep them nice and neat and out of the way of anything moving.

The pipes are finished off with some brass barbs that I got from Woolies Trim. These are just soldered on:

I put some yellow caps on the pipes to keep dirt out of them until the rubber flexible pipes are on.

I'll be sorting out the clutch pipes and the holes that they pass through next - and once that's done the engine will go in. I'm hoping that I can get that done by the end of the month.
Old 11th April 2007, 20:20
Enthusiast

Nice progress, Jason.