Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th March 2009, 07:53
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Testing a brake servo

Like most of us I have a second hand brake servo and I am beginning to get a bit suspicious of its integrity. Yesterday, when driving up and down the drive, I noticed an occasional weazy squeel when applying the brakes hard, followed by the engine hunting for a few seconds. I guess there must be a vacuum leak somewhere. But how do I tell if it is the servo itself - or just a leak between the master cylinder and the servo?

Robin
Available from eBay
Old 19th March 2009, 08:14
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I had a leak between the servo and master cylinder, and then also on the pipe connection to the server. I found it my holding my hand over the area's and also listening closely (not so easy as the M20 is a bit of a loud contraption!)
Old 19th March 2009, 09:45
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

That may be normal operation?

The standard test is to switch off the engine and apply the brakes a number of times to get rid of the vacuum. Then press the brake pedal hard and start the engine. After you start the engine and the vacuuum builds up you should feel the pedal move down a bit.

However, the one area you might have a slight leak is where the vacuum connector goes in a rubber grommet into the servo body. Mine was a bit loose so i coated it with a bit of black silicon and pooped it back in.

Did you use any silicon sealer when you assembled the Marlin adapter and brake master cylinder?
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:48
Enthusiast

I am still not happy with my servo even though it passed the MOT. I would really like to source a new one but Metro ones seem impossible to get at a sensible price. Has anyone else considered an alternative? The mini one looks very similar and has the added advantage of an adjustable push rod.

But would it fit?

Robin
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:20
Enthusiast

Depends if the holes line up, size wise it looks OK. No reason you couldn't make a new plate to go on the end of the pedal box if it does not fit.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:00
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

To be honest, it looks exactly like the one that Marlin supplied me way back when, albiet in black:

Old 23rd March 2009, 12:16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
To be honest, it looks exactly like the one that Marlin supplied me way back when, albiet in black:
Thanks G.O.O. Can you remember if it had an adjustable pushrod? The Metro one I have used (which also looks very similar) has a fixed length pushrod for which Marlin supplied a 'orrible adapter.

Cheers

Robin
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:17
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

The metro would have been a development from the mini one. Maybe the fixed length pushrod was just a cost saving? It certainly looks similar. I managed to pick up a 'new old stock' metro one off eBay but can't remember what I paid.

i meant to add to try these folks as they are normall very reasonable prices ...

http://www.mpdonline.co.uk/PhoneNumbers.htm
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:49
Enthusiast

I don't believe it had an adjustable pushrod - I had to use the Marlin adaptor. Probably means that it's a Metro servo...

I'll take a peek later when I get back from work. I think there is a part number stamped on the side as well, so I'll jot that down.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:43
Enthusiast

I can't really see if it's adjustable as the pedal box is in the way, but I've just looked and I definitely used the Marlin adaptor.

The numbers on the plate on the side of the Servo are:

L 41 A 6

LBDHZCO14A4 (that O could be a 0)
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
LBDHZCO14A4 (that O could be a 0)
That's the same as on mine. (I happened to have a note of it in my Marlin notebook). So I guess its a Metro one.

Hmmm.

I shall have to look into this further......

G.O.O. I suspect the reason yours is black is the same that mine is. It was looking a bit past it's best at 10 years + old with the plating very tired...

Robin
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:08
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
That's the same as on mine. (I happened to have a note of it in my Marlin notebook). So I guess its a Metro one.

Hmmm.

I shall have to look into this further......

G.O.O. I suspect the reason yours is black is the same that mine is. It was looking a bit past it's best at 10 years + old with the plating very tired...

Robin
Robin

I have been round several Metros in the breakers yard & I found 50% had black servos and the rest were poorly galvanised, so I chose a black one.
There really is very little to go wrong with a servo. They either work or they leak. I bet yours is working just fine. Rember the brake boost on it is about 2:1, whereas on modern cars the boost is much higher.
I have looked at using a Mark IV Cortina servo, as that allows the use of a standard Sierra master cylinder, without having to make an adaptor plate. It would fit with your M20 in the Roadster, but will not fit with my M50 in a Cabrio, so Ive stayed with the Metro servo.
An other option is to go for a remote servo such as is fitted to the MGB.......?
Mike
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:29
Enthusiast

The 5exi used a remote servo does it not, I'm sure the builders would be able to advice on that front
Old 24th March 2009, 08:13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I bet yours is working just fine. Rember the brake boost on it is about 2:1, whereas on modern cars the boost is much higher.
I have looked at using a Mark IV Cortina servo, as that allows the use of a standard Sierra master cylinder, without having to make an adaptor plate. It would fit with your M20 in the Roadster, but will not fit with my M50 in a Cabrio, so Ive stayed with the Metro servo.Mike
Thanks Mike

I am actually using the standard BMW master cylinder so the Cortina servo probably is not an option. I would be interested to know where the boost ratio of 2:1 comes from. Can you work it out or is it just something that you happen to know? I guess the main factor is the size of the diaphram (and hence the size of the servo). As you say it isn't a lot.....

Kind regards

Robin
Old 24th March 2009, 09:49
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Mike

I am actually using the standard BMW master cylinder so the Cortina servo probably is not an option. I would be interested to know where the boost ratio of 2:1 comes from. Can you work it out or is it just something that you happen to know? I guess the main factor is the size of the diaphram (and hence the size of the servo). As you say it isn't a lot.....

Kind regards

Robin
Robin
Does your standard BMW master cylinder only have two outlets?
I think this is something which will niot be allowed under IVA - good move getting in under SVA!!
Regards
Mike
Old 24th March 2009, 09:58
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Mike

Kind regards

Robin
Robin
I just Googled Servo brake bosst ratios and found this.......
https://www.minimaniauk.co.uk/web/th.../msgthread.cfm
Mike
Old 24th March 2009, 10:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Robin
I just Googled Servo brake bosst ratios and found this.......
https://www.minimaniauk.co.uk/web/th.../msgthread.cfm
Mike
Robin

I 've just found my Audi A4 has a boost ratio of 5.5:1, so you can see the difference with only using a Metro one at around 2:1

Mike
Old 24th March 2009, 11:33
Enthusiast

Quote:
Robin
Does your standard BMW master cylinder only have two outlets?
I think this is something which will niot be allowed under IVA - good move getting in under SVA!!
Regards
Mike
??? I thought the SVA and IVA were basically the same for brakes - is that not so then?

Oh - and yes the BMW one just has two outlets.

Regards

Robin
Old 24th March 2009, 11:53
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The 5exi used a remote servo does it not, I'm sure the builders would be able to advice on that front
No, does not use a remote servo. Uses one from a bubble 200 Rover. But some don't even use a servo. Copied the Lotus Elise as that does not have one either if I'm not mistaken.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:29
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpabit View Post
No, does not use a remote servo. Uses one from a bubble 200 Rover. But some don't even use a servo. Copied the Lotus Elise as that does not have one either if I'm not mistaken.
Ah OK, not sure where I got that idea from