Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th February 2012, 21:25

Roybo is on a distinguished road

i posted that pic a while back ,lovely looking car aint it?
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:22

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

SOME UPDATES FOR YOU ....

We have been pretty busy with kit production these last few weeks ....its gone a bit mad ...several Spyders out the door and currently moulding Nike55's G46 body as well....

Mike has started to shape things up a bit now and we have doorshuts , doors , sort of , a bulkhead / end of cill area and its starting to come to life....

I have bought a nice big bench on castors and the car is going to be forklifted onto this tomorrow , so we can work on her at a decent height and roll it in and out of the shop etc....

The above shots show the shorter body quite well and how the shorter rear and bulkhead along with the set back cockpit are starting to look pretty good.
We have actually shortened the bulkhead a bit more since the earlier pics....this brings the front arch a bit nearer to where it should be and keeps a long bonnet line.

Mike has a full day on her tomorrow , so hopefully some more updates to follow shortly.....

Last edited by lancelot link; 23rd February 2012 at 22:37..
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:34

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Looking good Gary. I like the door line and other mods that you are doing.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:20

Mike has been charging ahead with the Cordite - we are very aware that Stoneleigh is coming up very fast...

The body has been straightened right out now , all mods dealt with and smoothed , a couple of subtle tweaks have been done in a few areas also , top of arches raised and curved slightly , things like that.

The moulding has begun....

both sides are done , some flange cleaning ( oo-er missus ) and finishing will be done to the centre and bulkhead Monday and then the remainder laid up....

I reckon , fully moulded and ready by next weekend !

Then its fit bonnet and start on that procedure......

Old 31st March 2012, 08:59

Just posted a pic on the FIRST CORDITE ? thread showing the plug body with mould removed ...

Body mould is all done now and has come out lovely...better than the Spyder mould and less prep needed for paint than before...

Bonnet has gone on and I have set Mike back a bit as I changed the grille....The photoshopped rendition wasn't completely practical as the Spitfire has a curved front crossmember that really gets in the way......it makes the flatter front a bit tricky to produce in reality.....ironically , it has forced us to go with a style of grille that is similar to the original Lancia , oval and protruding forwards .....it is a bigger opening and the bonnet has shallower valleys , but does obviously still scream SAMMIO !

The nearest picture I can find to ours is this Gorgeous 1953 Maserati....

I will post some pics early next week when Mike has finished creating the bonnet's compound curvature....
Old 13th April 2012, 01:12

ksis is on a distinguished road

Any update? I'm saving my schillings!
Old 13th April 2012, 20:55

donnysoutherner is on a distinguished road

Can't wait for number one...
Old 14th April 2012, 12:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksis View Post
Any update? I'm saving my schillings!
I had a chance to visit Gary & Mike yesterday.

The Cordite for Stoneleigh is under construction.

I know they are both working hard to get everything done in time.

I promised not to share any photos until it was the finished article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysoutherner View Post
Can't wait for number one...
Well I've now put a deposit down to secure No.7.

I blame this forum as I was only supposed to be doing research at this stage!

Just need to get my act together now before I can finally order the kit.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:55

garyh is on a distinguished road

The Cordite, does it have a fibreglass bulkhead? If so , can I dispense with my vitesse one and make my own? Garyh.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:59

Thank you Paul ....good to meet you yesterday.

As Paul confirms , he has secured no. 7. We have a deposit in now from 4 interested parties and about 5 people waiting to see us at Stoneleigh , so thats good news !

Mould is now completely done and prepped and sealed. We have used it to create Straight Sixer's doors on his Spyder , re waxed her and just gel'd her for the first body.....I need a body to finish the framing off ....hopefully everything moulded and framed , jigged etc by next wednesday....

SO OFFICIALLY I CAN ANNOUNCE I AM TAKING DEPOSITS AND RECEIVING ORDERS ETC.

The website will be updated tomorrow night , but for now , here is some pictures of the completed plug body that the mould was taken from....

We had to deviate from the photoshop rendition a little , she has more of a pout due to the front crossmember issues on a Spitfire chassis , but has a definite 'look' going on.... The top picture shows bonnet mould still fitted but , of more interest , the bottom pic shows the mould sat behind the car giving you a nice ariel view of the new panel..

The Spyder will always be my baby , but I think at the moment the Cordite and its proportions are my favourite....

We are moulding a turquoise-ish colour for Stoneleigh ....dark but not too dark ( similar to a the colour of a '55 Pontiac I once had ) ..pictures to follow...

Last edited by lancelot link; 14th April 2012 at 14:02..
Old 14th April 2012, 14:13

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Yes. Nice, Nay NICE!!
I think you hit the nail right on the head with the proportions and look of this one. Great to see the level of interest already and I can't wait to get my mitts on one (after my Spyder is finished of course)
Old 14th April 2012, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
The Cordite, does it have a fibreglass bulkhead? If so , can I dispense with my vitesse one and make my own? Garyh.

Yes it does ....it will have the front section of the internal frame bonded in with a 5mm plate duplicating the holes in your original bulkhead for pedal mounting , steering column etc.

You can make your own bulkhead ...Barry Mays modified Spartan example has an ally and steel version....we have only ever used the original bulkheads for comvenience.....if your example is very rusty , that convenience is lessened !!
Old 14th April 2012, 14:28

here's another one showing the rear.....

Old 14th April 2012, 14:45

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

Gary's chaps delivered the body and stuff an hour or so ago and I just love the doors. Good quality mouldings and very reminiscent of Jaguar C Type yet not a replica of anything. Dying to get stuck in to it but I have a Jaguar MK2 to finish restoring (1 week to go) and a 420 to sort first. Door shells lend themselves to all sorts of stuff from '50s racing cars, like the spare set of plugs in the driver's door etc. The obligatory photo sitting in the shell has been taken so as soon as she has time, my partner Gaynor will upload for me as I'm too stupid for computery stuff

Len.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:45

donnysoutherner is on a distinguished road

Gary, got a slight concern about the front of my donor chassis. Ages ago discussed with you the modification that had been done before I owned it (see below).

You suggested that this would be OK as a slight modification but the thread so far seems to suggest that the front has been adapted to fit the whole front bar in any case. Advice please/ Will it be best to simply revert to the old design by adding the front peices or will this pass DVLA inspection AND fit with the bonnet design you are working on. Not a great deal of work to change back I guess, but don't want to do it if I don't have to?

Last edited by donnysoutherner; 18th April 2012 at 21:46..
Old 18th April 2012, 18:03

Alpha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Yes it does ....it will have the front section of the internal frame bonded in with a 5mm plate duplicating the holes in your original bulkhead for pedal mounting , steering column etc.

You can make your own bulkhead ...Barry Mays modified Spartan example has an ally and steel version....we have only ever used the original bulkheads for comvenience.....if your example is very rusty , that convenience is lessened !!
Gary, considering the tyre clearance issues that the Spyder builders have dealt with, what wheel sizes will the Cordite accomodate? The wheels on the 'prototype' appear to be the standard 13' wheels...

Baz from Brussels
Old 18th April 2012, 19:33

Patton is on a distinguished road

Well I can say "I was there" today saw the first Codite body popped from it's mold and placed on a Spitfire chassis with doctor Mike performing the surgery as Gary was doing his usual Wednesday job getting cars inspected so it's offical two more sammio's exsist. I went in Skippy got wet and cold and snapped the rear exhaust turning in to Garys outside the cafe (sorry boardroom), 140 odd round trip not missing a beat. I went with a tape measure, pen and paper to see the Cordite as thats where I'll be starting with my variation on a theme I'll post pic's and start a thread once under way, watch this space! Pat, Liz 'n' Skippy
Old 18th April 2012, 21:37

Straight Sixer is on a distinguished road

Of course it didn't miss a beat Pat. It's a well known fact that old cars have to be stationary in their garage for at least a week before they can break down!

Keep us posted on the next project.

Len.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnysoutherner View Post
Gary, got a slight concern about the front of my donor chassis. Ages ago discussed with you the modification that had been done before I owned it (see below).

You suggested that this would be OK as a slight modification but the thread so far seems to suggest that the front has been adapted to fit the whole front bar in any case. Advice please/ Will it be best to simply revert to the old design by adding the front peices or will this pass DVLA inspection AND fit with the bonnet design you are working on. Not a great deal of work to change back I guess, but don't want to do it if I don't have to?
Difficult to say Simon ....some Offices won't give it a glance , some will possibly come out with their chassis drawing and tape measure.

I would be confident enough to present it here in Poole , but that doesn't help you , being 250 odd miles away....

If you are want to go the safe route ...I would add the original crossmember ....but its your call.

SORRY I can't be any less vague
Old 19th April 2012, 09:52

Baz , its set up for the good old 14'' MGB wire as before....we have set the bulkhead back a bit for clearance this time.....

The 13's aren't too bad on it though.....I think slightly taller tyres would work on 13's for the shorter profile of this car....