Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st July 2018, 20:22

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Catch Up - Part 2:

Sunday
Turned my wife's Micra into a camera car for the last few GoPro shots.

Camera stuck to the bonnet.

Giving this view.

Note: I need to crop out the bits of car you can see in the bottom of the shot.

Camera stuck to the boot.

Giving this view.

With a bit of luck, I will have finished all the editing by next week.

So I will leave you with this 'out take' of me getting into the car.

As I had just pressed record, I was in a bit of a rush.

Which meant I appear to be flying over the side in true Le Mans style.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 1st July 2018, 22:29
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Getting in ‘like a cat’

Good luck with the video - car looks great !

Dave
Old 4th July 2018, 12:55

Dave - Unfortunately, all the other footage shows that I am now a 'fat cat'.

But with one of my friends getting married in October I plan to lose a bit, OK, a lot, of weight in the next few months.

I'm still working my way through the film editing process.

It is amazing just how many hours are required to end up with a 6 minute video.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 8th July 2018, 09:29

Hot & Hectic!
This week I've been busy at work and preparing for my wife's brother's visit at home.

Plus, I've been on two airport runs so far, Southend at 5.30am on Tuesday and Stansted at 6.30am this morning.

I've got more stuff to do today, so I'd better be quick…

By Friday night I'd almost finished the car video, but just couldn't find a way to join the last two clips together.

On Saturday morning I had a brainwave and, between chores and the England match, sneaked out for a quick drive.

Believe it, or not, but the clip I needed was of my foot hitting the brake.

Which means I have now completed the film and just need to load it up onto YouTube.

With that recorded, I filled up with petrol so I am ready to take my wife's brother out for a drive after work next week.

Well, I will do if we can fit him in the cockpit, as he is around 6' 5"!

There was a real buzz around town before the match and the car/"Three lions on my shirt" combo went down well.

Stopped at Sainsburys on the way home and a very shiny RangeRover pulled up next to me as I was leaving.

So I just had to take this photo from the reflection in his paint.

Right, I've got to go, take care, Paul.
Old 8th July 2018, 21:17

Triumph Swordfish - The Summer Sequel

Introduction:
- This is only my second car video, so I’m still a novice when it comes to recording and editing GoPro clips.
- Still, the car looks much better now that it is painted, compared to being in just grey primer last time.
- The warm weather also meant that I didn’t need my woolly hat, fleece or thick gloves this time around.

Music:
- I used my iTunes account for the Matt Monro / “On days like these” sound track last time.
- YouTube were happy with this arrangement, but Apple were not, causing a few technical problems.
- So for this video, I used YouTube’s own ‘copyright free‘ audio library to select the sound track.
- Which led me to some music that is over 200 years old… Mozart’s “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers, Paul.

Video Link:
Running Time = 6 mins 13 secs.

https://youtu.be/ipExTQmKEyk

Note:
Make sure you set the YouTube play back quality to the highest setting.
Old 8th July 2018, 22:24

molleur is on a distinguished road
Smile

Very well done Paul!
Old 9th July 2018, 18:27

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Good Video Paul
Glad to see you out and enjoying it- hahah but I think you must have edited out the smile on your face

So the big question is after all those hours building does it live upto the dream?
Old 9th July 2018, 20:16
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Watched it, enjoyed it, well done.
Old 9th July 2018, 20:36

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

Well Done Paul inspiring me to hurry up and get the alpha finished
Old 11th July 2018, 07:43

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice video Paul, well done. Exhaust sounds very fruity, would've liked to have heard it a bit more though.
Old 11th July 2018, 08:01

Barber is on a distinguished road

Paul, that is great. The shots of driving past high banks and hedges, then the dashboard and changing gear brought back distant memories of driving my little NG TF around the back roads in East Berkshire and North Hampshire. Also your comment about nearly losing your cap at 50mph. Like you, I need some sun protection, and the temptation to reverse the baseball cap a la Harry and Perry was great. But that would have looked silly, so I resisted. The video was hugely enjoyable, do some more.
Old 11th July 2018, 16:10

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Great video of your car and driving experience. I think the music suited the look you had on your face whilst driving. Brilliant, well worth the effort. Keep on motoring!!!!
Old 13th July 2018, 07:32

Molleur, Roadster, Micky1mo,Yorkshireman, Mr T, Barber & Froggyman - Thanks gentlemen.

Just to pick up a few of the points raised…

Facial expressions - I was trying hard not be grinning like a loony while driving along.
Plus the summer weather does increase the risk of me swallowing a fly!

Exhaust sound - I actually ran into a few technical problems trying to include more of the engine noise.
I would need a much longer microphone cable to get film footage from one end of the car & audio from the other.
Or I need different editing software to overlay the exhaust sound from one clip with visual from another.
As I can currently cut the original wind noise from the film and add a separate music file over the top.
But I am not able to extract the audio from one video clip and use it over the top of another one.

Autumn Sequel - Unfortunately, these videos take a HUGE amount of time to make.
However, despite this, I would like to make at least one more film following a Petrolicious / TopGear tradition.
Yes, I plan to include a low level shot of the car sending golden leaves flying into the air as it drives past.
In fact, I suspect there are production companies that can supply crates of leaves to any film location.

Hours of building vs. Dream of driving? - Almost all Sammio builders have described the positive reaction their car got.
But every time I am out, the sheer joy this car generates among other motorists and pedestrians alike is really beyond belief.
Especially when you consider London is generally a hostile place to drive, with everyone rushing to get somewhere at all times.
Also the 'al fresco' sensation of driving the car reminds me of my motorcycling days a bit, including the weather watching side.
On twisty roads, the car is great fun to throw around and you don't need to be going at silly speeds to enjoy a 'spirited' drive.
But, deep down, I'd rather not think about just how many hours it took to get the car to this stage, as it almost broke me.
I'm also trying hard not to get hung up on the fact that keeping the car under a tarpaulin is making a mess of my paint.
Still, by the time I've finished my 'To Do' list I think the car will have ended up miles better than I could ever have expected.
( Tonneau cover, headrests, cockpit aluminium panels, passenger mirror plinth, gaiters for gear lever and handbrake, etc. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still Hectic…

Sunday
Completed my airport hat-trick with a trip to Luton in the afternoon.

Tuesday - Afternoon
Stuck in a work meeting that over ran past 1pm meaning I missed the start of the RAF fly past.

This also meant I was stuck behind the hordes when I finally got to watch the tail end of it.

Tuesday - Evening
Took my brother-in-law out for a drive when I got home from work.

On the way home I remembered it was classic car night at the Ace Cafe, so we popped in.

I was one of the last cars to arrive before the car park was full and only got this spot because someone else left.

I'll cover this event in more detail in another post, but here is one more photo for now.

Wednesday - Evening
Not a great photo, but we went to our local to watch the England match.

The occasion was also marked by our local landmark too.

Despite the result, I think Gareth Southgate deserves all the credit it has got.

Thursday - Evening
We had a family BBQ and then saw Donald Trump flying over head on his way to Blenheim Palace.

Although I'm having a few technical problems getting the photo from my phone to here.

With a bit of luck I'll get the chance to go for another drive soon.

Take care, Paul.
Old 13th July 2018, 08:33

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I think you should do an "about town" Video, similar to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEeyOCJ1OA

Most people will have seen it before but it is always nice to see it again.
Please note the correct exhaust note and the correct use of traffic lights
Old 13th July 2018, 13:17

Jag - Funny you should mention that video...

As I was actually planning an early Sunday morning drive around town one of these days.

Because, like the opening sequence of The Italian Job, this video was something else I thought I could recreate with the GoPro.

Please Note:
By "recreate" I mean get some of the main London tourist sites on camera, not drive like a demented lunatic.

I did drive into town very early one Sunday to see the poppies at the Tower of London and the roads were clear.

So if I time it right, I should some decent footage.

However, given the current climate, driving like that video would see my film end with me in the arms of the Law, not a pretty woman.
( Or being shot by anti-terror officers. )

So cutting clips together with stops at red lights may make it less spectacular.

Stay tuned....
Old 13th July 2018, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I think you should do an "about town" Video, similar to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEeyOCJ1OA

Most people will have seen it before but it is always nice to see it again.
Please note the correct exhaust note and the correct use of traffic lights
Excellent, those were the days, no traffic cameras, other drivers got out of the way of expensive cars!!!!
Old 13th July 2018, 16:21

whoops posted twice
Old 14th July 2018, 07:36

Barber - Forget the other drivers, what about the poor pedestrians?
( As he drives on the pavement, or brushes past them as they are crossing the road. )

Ace Cafe - Classic Car Night
Here is a full write up from Tuesday night with some extra photos.

As I was just supposed to be taking my wife's brother out for a spin I couldn't stay long.

But it was a lovely warm summer's evening with the sun slowly setting in the background.

These were parked near the entrance, so I spotted the matching colour scheme straight away.

This Lotus was parked outside the front door and I couldn't get any closer to it.

The mini we ended up next to was like it had just rolled off the production line.

And the 'Javelin' on the other side was more gold in colour than the photo suggests.

I really liked this Zephyr, but, unfortunately, the sunshine ruined the second photo.

There were two immaculate Heralds there.

Overall, there was an interesting mix of cars there.

"What is it?"
I actually spend most of my time there talking to people about my car and its build.

Using a sweeping broad brush, the crowd could be divided into three generic groups.

Casual Visitor
These were just enjoying the evening, the cars and stuck to 'passing the time of day' questions.

Know It Alls
I couldn't believe the number of people who wanted to correct my version of events.

This included:
- My Spitfire 1500 donor was actually a MkIV, as the MkIVs were the last models in the production run.
- My gear lever didn't come from a Spitfire.
- My kit was not a Sammio, but something else entirely.
( He did say what, but I'd already stopped listening by then. )
- Etc.

Genuine Car Guys
Obviously, these were the people who options I was interested in and the car went down well with them.

Saying it a "Triumph Swordfish" often doesn't help, so I usually add it is "Unique", "One of a kind", "Home build special", etc.

This usually makes people a lot happier that they've never heard of it, despite it looking vaguely familiar.

Most people got the idea of keeping a standard donor car underneath the 'new' fibreglass body and all liked the overall 50s style.

I had quite a few conversions about the new VHI rules & MOT exemptions, plus the use of black & white plates.
( As few guessed my car was actually less than 40 years old. )

As I talked through some of the modification work, people seemed to get that this was not "just" a bolt on kit car.

Those that knew about fibreglass commented positively about the stiffness of the scuttle and the weight/strength of the bonnet.

It was hard to tell for sure, but the fact my engine bay is a long way from being "dressed" seemed to make it more authentic.

Also, those who clearly worked on their own cars couldn't believe how far the bonnet opened and the access it gave.

But saying this was my first car build and that I did most of the work outside on my driveway confirmed I was clearly mad.

Overall, I don't recall getting a single negative comment and people went out of their way to point out the things they liked.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:37

PS
When I opened the bonnet for the first time at the Ace Cafe, I spotted one of my pancake air filters was missing.

The second one was literally hanging on by a thread, so I removed it and stuck it behind my seat for safe keeping.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a match for this style and have ended up with a new pair that are slightly different.

Top = New
Bottom = Old

I just need to fit these before I take the car out again.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:49

Saturday:
Obviously it would have been too easy if the holes for the new filter lined up with the old one.

So the old backing plate had to come off.

Before the new one could go on.

Then the filter itself.

Not easy to see, but the second filter cover was stained where the protective plastic had lifted.

Thankfully, a quick rub with some Mr Sheen was enough to clean that up & the second filter was in.

I then took the car for a quick spin and it seemed to be running really well.

Although given how hot it was, I might just have been imagining this.

Didn't stop for any photos, but did stop at Sainsburys on the way home.

So I've just got this photo from my driveway to show for my trip.

Drove to Oxford & back last night and have already been to Heathrow and back this morning.

Hopefully, I will have a bit more time to myself next week.

Cheers, Paul.