Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 24th November 2015, 07:17

Amir Manzoori is on a distinguished road

Having looked at my Royale's propshaft I think there is enough clearance, but removing the bracket totally may be a problem as there isn't enough side clearance. Utilizing the bottom of seat belt bracket for welding the exhaust mountings would be another option.
Old 29th November 2015, 22:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
I am glad you liked the idea. But to be able to remove the bracket without having to take the body off the chassis, it will be a good idea to have the lower one in one piece but the top one cut in the middle and each half to have its own bolt to secure it to the one below.
I have made and fitted the clamp as suggested. I've decided to leave it all one piece and will worry about cutting it in half should I ever need to remove it.

Exhaust mid hanger clamp by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Exhaust mid hanger clamp by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The clamp is made from 2mm thick steel strip with a 4mm thick backing plate. (Sorry for the poor photo). It works really well!
Thanks again to Aamir for the suggestion.

I've also 'completed' the exhaust system by using a couple of flexi pipes at the front.

Exhaust Flexi's by marlinpeter, on Flickr

My original plan was to use two rigid Jetex 45degree bends to bridge the change in levels as the exhaust system is slung lower than in the BMW. There wasn't sufficient space to accommodate the rigid bends so I'm using these Polylock flexible pipes from Rev motorstore on ebay.

I said above 'completed' in quotes because I fear the front exhaust is too low and there is too little ground clearance.

Because the pipes that enter the cats pass under the side supports to the gearbox cross-member the exhaust is currently about 1.5" lower than it should be. I've been working on the car raised on axle stands for the past few months so hadn't realised how little ground clearance there is under the car at this point. It's also just about mid way between the two axles so the worst place for speed humps. There is currently only 3.25" ground clearance with the existing 14"wheels.
I'm planning on using 15" wheels which will raise the car by 1/2" and high profile tyres which will add a bit more but I think I need to find another way of routing these pipes nearer the centre of the car.

You can just about see the issue in this early photo....

Exhaust initial trial by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Thinking cap firmly back on.......

....peter
Old 17th December 2015, 21:36
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Because the pipes that enter the cats pass under the side supports to the gearbox cross-member ......... There is currently only 3.25" ground clearance with the existing 14"wheels.
I'm planning on using 15" wheels which will raise the car by 1/2" and high profile tyres which will add a bit more but I think I need to find another way of routing these pipes nearer the centre of the car.
Ever wondered what the regulations are related to speed bumps?
Well here it is....
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ic-calming.pdf

Page 47 onwards covers speed bumps specifications.....

"the Highways (Road Hump) Regulations 1999 still allow a maximum height of 100mm" but this document goes on to say...." a maximum height of 75 mm is recommended for individual road humps that are not raised junctions "

So my conclusion is that my 85-100mm unladen clearance is not enough so Plan B is currently being designed.......
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:01
Enthusiast

Default Exhaust system - Plan B

I've decided to ditch the original BMW front section of the exhaust system because the pipes in front of the cats clash with the Sabre's gearbox chassis crossmember. (It was kind of free with the donor and bit rusty so no great loss). Looking around for other options I found this aftermarket front section in Eurocarparts Black Friday sale.
Exhaust system - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Looking at this picture I thought I could cut the pipes in front of the cats and use the flexi's to get round the chassis issues.

So I ordered the Eurocarparts aftermarket exhaust front section and this is what arrived.........

Exhaust system - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Initially, I was quite disappointed that it was nothing like the one pictured on their website but offering it up under the car opened up some new options.
It is designed for the M50B28 engine but is quite different from the original OEM design. (Wrapper still on in this shot as I hadn't yet decided whether to keep it or take it back for a refund)

This is the Klarius (part # 380824) aftermarket front section. In this shot the front part of the pipes that join to the exhaust manifolds have been removed and a extension piece has been inserted in front of the catalytic converter.

Exhaust - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr

A 185mm length of 57mm diameter exhaust pipe TIG welded by a local engineering firm between the 'cat' and the two into one joint.

'Cat' and front curved pipes now clear the gearbox chassis crossmember.

'Cat' now sits neatly between the chassis crossmembers. (Center hanger not yet fitted in this shot).

I think I can also use the standard BMW gearbox support brackets. (This is the first fitting trial and the bracket needs a bit of 'adjustment' to get the pipes in the right position.)

Stainless steel Polylock flexi's used to connect up to the exhaust manifolds.

Overall view of the front section.

And now ground clearance maximised with very little below the the chassis!

This will be my last update this year so Merry Christmas and happy new car building for 2016!!

...peter
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:08

What I would cal a job well done. Looking forward to more updates in the new year.
May you, your loved ones and all those following this first class build be blessed with a year filled with health, happiness and peace. Merry Christmas.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:50
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Very neat now!
And as they say - if it looks right, it probably is (right)

Have a great Christmas

Robin
Old 26th December 2015, 13:02
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Very neat now!
And as they say - if it looks right, it probably is (right)

Have a great Christmas

Robin
Thanks to you and Amir for your Christmas wishes.
I think your so right about it looking right.
really wasn't happy with my first attempt so getting the Klarius was a lucky moment!

atb, Peter
Old 26th December 2015, 13:41

Ben Caswell is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter, Have been contacted by a ex Marlin fan who now has a Sabre Royale which needs a new hood as well someone to talk to.
Any help from you Royale enthusiasts appreciated. <b.caswell@virgin.net>
Old 27th December 2015, 10:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Caswell View Post
Hi Peter, Have been contacted by a ex Marlin fan who now has a Sabre Royale which needs a new hood as well someone to talk to.
Any help from you Royale enthusiasts appreciated. <b.caswell@virgin.net>
Hi Ben,
Automotive Creations Ltd ( http://www.automotivecreation.com/) are the current manufacturers of Royale Sabres, spares and support to existing owners. Malcolm Badger is the owner and I believe he can supply hoods for existing cars and new builds. I have always found Malcolm very helpful with Sabre specific technical questions. You can contact Malcolm through the ACL website.
There is also an active owners club that has a wealth of knowledge and experience going back to the launch of the Sabre is 1994.
http://royaleownersclub.org.uk/index.asp Peter Gibbons is the chairman and contact numbers for the club committee members listed on the 'Club Officers' button.
cheers, Peter
Old 28th December 2015, 15:15

Ben Caswell is on a distinguished road

Thanks Peter for the info which I will pass on. Your project does look interesting if not a bit daunting compared to the simple Marlin Roadster with a Triumph six purring under the bonnet ;-)
thanks Ben

Last edited by Ben Caswell; 28th December 2015 at 15:15.. Reason: correction
Old 28th December 2015, 15:33

I would not compare the two as the only thing they share is the self build part of it.
Old 28th December 2015, 17:31
Enthusiast

Quote:

This will be my last update this year .........
Well I thought it was until Santa arrived with these in his sack....

New Front shocks and springs by marlinpeter, on Flickr

And I couldn't resist popping down to my garage this afternoon to make sure they fit OK.

New Front shocks and springs by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Temporarily fitted today just to check the bush sizes are correct, etc. The coils are much shorter than the original ones which are prone to being coil bound on compression.

Happy New Year......peter
Old 4th January 2016, 13:02

lordivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Default Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, Peter - I hope you had an excellent rest. All best wishes for 2016 and I look forward to further missives from your build!
Fingers crossed that this year is the year I'm able to get back on the Sabre wagon.. ;-)
Cheers!
Ivan.
Old 4th January 2016, 13:04

lordivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Default And to Amir..

Happy New Year as well! I hope no-one minds if I temporarily hijack this thread for that too.. ;-)
All the best to you as well Amir, I wish you many happy hours of driving the kids round in the special '+2' seats!
Ivan.
Old 4th January 2016, 18:01

Default 4 Seat Sabre?

Thank you Ivan, and happy new year to you.
Making my Sabre into a 4 seater was not practical and without seat belt mountings, unable to fit seat belts, without them I wouldn't have liked to carry my grand children and if I did would have been totally wrong, I decided to have a bench on the back with storage spaces within. Now anything placed on the rear bench will not be creeping down under the front seats.
I also found a solution to having my grand children in the car with me. I am refurbishing a Royale Drophead, which when finished, four of them can come with me and it can also be used for wedding hire. Right now I am looking for good condition front and rear sub frames of 1974 Jaguar XJ6 to help me complete the mechanical of the drophead. All the best to you and Peter who's work I have been following with great joy.
Old 15th January 2016, 21:47
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
I am refurbishing a Royale Drophead, which when finished, four of them can come with me and it can also be used for wedding hire. Right now I am looking for good condition front and rear sub frames of 1974 Jaguar XJ6 to help me complete the mechanical of the drophead.
Amir,
so you really have got the Royale bug!!
Would love to see you start a new thread following your Drophead refurbishment.
cheers, Peter
Old 15th January 2016, 22:04
Enthusiast

Quote:
After I have finished fitting the exhaust system, I plan to refit the body tub again to check all the clearances between the tub and the fuel, brake lines and the exhaust mountings, etc. Fingers crossed that there won't be too much re-work needed
Well.....I said that back in November last year before I decided to rework the exhaust system.
That's now all finished so last weekend I got my son to help me refit the main body tub to check the clearances, etc.

Firstly, the tail pipes exit nicely just beyond the rear tub.

Body fit Jan 2016 by marlinpeter, on Flickr

And the good news is that all the fluid lines and the exhaust hanger brackets are clear of the body tub.

But,,,,,there is currently about a 6mm gap between the bottom of the spare wheel well and the top of the exhaust rear silencer box. I think I will drop the rear box by about 14mm to give a 20mm gap and for safety glue a heat reflective shield on the wheel well.

....and the body tub is currently resting on this bracket which is another good reason for dropping the rear silencer.

So one new bracket to make but otherwise every looks OK.

...peter
Old 16th January 2016, 06:13

Peter,
you are absolutely right, I really have got the Royale bug. And the deeper I go into it the more I like John Barlow's creations.
I would have started a new thread if I wasn't so involved with my business, which fills my time from 6 AM, right up to about 7 PM. And only Saturday afternoons is my own time.
Right now I have striped the rear seats and making them foldable to allow long objects fit in the boot, and while at it, doing a bit of wiring, a provision for a better sound system.
With regards to your exhaust rear silencer, as you have the flexible pipes as down pipe, the movement at the back section of the exhaust would be minimal, hence a 10 mm clearance would be more than adequate, but with stiffer rubber mounting and of course the heat shield. Keep up the good work.
Old 5th March 2016, 18:23
Enthusiast

Default Having fun with some fibreglass

Progress since Christmas slowed to a crawl but I'm now returning to finishing the gearbox tunnel modification. Just to recap the Royale Sabre was designed for Ford engines and gearboxes but I'm fitting a BMW 2.8 litre M52 straight six engine and its matching gearbox. The BMW gearbox is slightly fatter than the Ford 'box so the GRP tunnel needed to be modified.

Back in March 2013 (gulp!!) I started modifying the tunnel but didn't finish it because I hadn't finalised the position of the engine and gearbox. That's all done now so time to crack on and finish the tunnel.

N/S side extension by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I need to modify the tunnel to clear the sides of the gearbox and the clutch slave cylinder. The idea is the insert a hump on each side to improve clearance.

Gearbox tunnel mods by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I cut a cardboard template to replicate the side of the tunnel and then cut an ellipse to let in a curved tear-drop shaped 'hump'

I then made up some curved sections of GRP using the side of an old plastic washing up bowl as a former.

I glassed two sections together and then marked out the shape.

I cut the shape out with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade and cellotaped it to the cardboard to check the shape. Unfortunately my first attempt is too shallow and it doesn't give sufficient clearance to the clutch slave cylinder pipe. I'm now making up some more sections with a deeper profile.

Hopefully it won't be another 3 years before the next step!!

....peter
Old 7th March 2016, 09:33
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter

Have you considered making the "bulge" in aluminium. I can tell you, from experience :-), it is pretty easy with just basic tools. I have plenty of offcuts if you want to try!

Cheers, Robin