Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 21st May 2019, 17:10

Fibreglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossnzwpi View Post
Hey Mark, what are the differences that the production 246 chassis has from this march '69 blueprint I found on the net?
Ross
The very front and very rear look pretty close but all of the centre section from the front to rear bulkheads is quite different. Both bulkheads are also different. Have a look at my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pg/classic....59117777469276.

Ignore the fact that mine is RHD and the blueprints are for a LHD but you will see they are quite different. My jigs were taken off a completely stripped original 246 GT along with a 246 GTS for the additional parts needed for the GTS chassis.
Please have a look at the attached picture from when the jigs were being made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cascu1.jpg (88.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 17th July 2019, 05:59
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Your posts about wheelbase and the differences between 246 (CASCU) and 206 and 206 (Deon/DGT) have got me thinking. Ian measured his Deon at 2255mm and a Dino 206 wheelbase is 2280mm, a Lotus Europa is 2311 and a Dino 246 is 2340.

I'm trying to draw up a body shell for a 246 but cannot find accurate blueprints anywhere. Most seem to be just 206 bodies with new labels! Sometimes bolt on wheels are drawn but the shell is still sitting on a 206 wheelbase. Maybe Ferrari got lazy!
Anyway in order to find out where the body changes were made between 206 and 246 I've been overlaying photos and going by the supposition that the centre of the car won't be foreshortened by the curvature of the camera's lens. It is amazing how much the extremities get foreshortened. Any way - my guess is that the 246 remains as near as dammit identical to the 206 all the way back to the rear of the doors. Thereafter, it looks like there is added length in the rear quarter panel between door and wheel arch and probably in the wheel arch to the rear of the car too, although that is harder to judge from photos.

Next time you guys have your tape measures out I'd be really grateful if you could measure (at the crease line) rear of door to wheel arch and rear of wheel arch to rear corner of the car.

Heres a blue 206 superimposed over a red 246
cheers
Ross
206-246GT_profile3.jpg
Old 17th July 2019, 12:22

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

What does it matter? If truth be known possibly every dino has some differences, with some minor, some major?. If you are building a replica (look-alike) it will never be the real thing, and if nobody notices the wheelbase 'inaccuracy' if there even is one, what does it matter? Build your car with the bits you have, to your budget, or whatever criteria you set - as long as you're happy with it and nobody else is harmed, then that's good
Old 17th July 2019, 17:17

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default chassis for a dino

Hi All

Yes Ross you are right. The longer wheelbase of the dino246 compared to the deon206 is added behind the door to rear wheel arch. The actual length is added at the back of the car. I've attached some recent photo's to show. The deon206 engine lid is identical to the dino 246.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1189.jpg (85.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1191.jpg (86.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1203.jpg (87.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.jpg (87.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 17th July 2019, 17:21

extra!
missed these off! some other differences in the shell swage line being one.

ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1200.jpg (84.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1201.jpg (90.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.jpg (85.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.jpg (86.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1195.jpg (85.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 19th July 2019, 08:47
Enthusiast

Thanks Ian - thats very useful to me as I try to draw up a 246 body.
Old 19th July 2019, 18:20

hi Ross

A few more for you

ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1245.jpg (85.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1246.jpg (94.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1247.jpg (94.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.jpg (89.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1249.jpg (85.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 19th July 2019, 18:24

Hi Ross

Here's some more photo's plus one of an original that was on ebay recently for £140 thousand!!!

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.jpg (87.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252.jpg (87.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1227.jpg (91.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1243.jpg (91.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1253.jpg (92.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 19th July 2019, 19:33

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Some info from cascu for you Dino guys

We have had quite a few enquiries regarding pricing of our Dino 246 parts so here is a price list of most of the parts we make.

Dino 246 GT coupe body with bonnet, boot, engine lid and pair of outer door skins £3500

Dino 246 GTS body with bonnet, boot, engine lid, pair of outer door skins and double skinned targa roof panel £3800.

Door inner skins £300 the pair

Door top trims £100 pair
A post trims £50 pair
B post trims £50 pair
Dashboard with pod £250
Ignition key panel £40
Handbrake console £40
Gear lever console (non air con) £60
Gear lever console (air con) £70
Rear bulkhead £120
Spare wheel well £140
Rear wheel arch liner front left £75
Rear wheel arch liner rear left £75
Rear wheel arch liner front right £75
Rear wheel arch liner rear right £75
Front wheel arch liner rear left £50
Front wheel arch liner rear right £50
Boot floor lower section £100
Boot floor top section £100
Boot floor corner pockets £80 pair
Front bulkhead RHD £200
Floor panel RHD £200

LHD panels are also available.

Chassis RHD GT coupe £4000
Chassis RHD GTS £5000

Dino 246 GT coupe RHD body and chassis package including all coupe parts listed above. This comes with the body fitted to the chassis with doors, bonnet, boot and engine lid all hinged to the shell. £12000

Dino 246 GTS RHD body and chassis package including all GTS parts listed above. This comes with the body fitted to the chassis with doors, bonnet, boot and engine lid all hinged to the shell. This also includes the targa roof assembled and ready to fit but will need all rubber seals. £14000

We are only doing a maximum of 10 body shells without chassis, then we will be back to the packages only.

If you have any questions please message us.
Old 4th August 2019, 14:06

Hi all

Another shot of interest for all. I overlaid the cascu panels on the deon and found engine lid was spot on. Rear boot was some 3 inches or for those in metric 76 mm longer. However the front bonnet was some 18 mm, sorry 3 quarters of an inch, shorter!! A lot has been said about the droopy nose on the JHC /Deon so was the bonnet lengthened to fit or was the 206 slightly lower at the front??

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.jpg (85.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1193.jpg (89.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1190.jpg (88.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.jpg (87.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.jpg (92.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 18th September 2019, 09:24

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hi all;
Interesting things lately on the forum! Congratulations to thecarbuilder for his new purchase and his courage in trying to build his dream car!, well done and keep up with it.

Just to add more info on this blueprint: this is actually the first chassis developed by Ferrari used in the 206 GT and the first series dino 246GT (L-series). Pretty sure of this.
By the refererence on the top left, I´d say it is an original blueprint.

cheers!
Old 18th September 2019, 09:25

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

I meant this blueprint:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&d=1558233609
Old 15th December 2019, 22:31
Enthusiast

Hey Ian, just re-reading your post from May. I hope you've made good progress with your CASCU /Deon project - though the weather may be closing in for you (its getting pretty hot here in NZ). Its probably not very relevant to your project but the comments you made back then talked about shortening the wheelbase of a 246 to suit the Deon whereas the Deon (or JH Classics DGT as it was originally) was taken from a 206 not a 246. Therefore all Deons are based on a lengthened 206 wheelbase to suit the original Lotus Europa. Now that my long summer holiday is nigh I might dust off my paper planning for a Dino replica project.
Ross
Old 10th March 2020, 15:37

Thumbs up chassis for a dino

Hi All

Not much doing!! Thought I'd update you all on my build. After much measuring and several wooden mock ups I've given up and decided to use one of marks dino chassis. My idea was to get a standard dino chassis and alter it to fit new /bespoke rear suspension while keeping the front as is. But then mark contacted me with some superb news.
For all those that follow the page Mark is working with a french guy who is updating the original chassis to take more modern/bespoke running gear but sticking to the original geometry. He is also working on producing some of the more hard to find pieces. The chassis redesign will use all the original pick up points for everything dino but should allow the fitting of nearly all V6 engine/gearboxes you can think of!! The first chassis should be started soon but the new cad drawings look great.

ian
Old 10th March 2020, 19:08

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a big jump forward
Good luck
Old 11th March 2020, 21:53

Fibreglass is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post Ian.

The new chassis build is progressing well and we will sort some pictures out soon.
We have learnt a lot about the original Dino chassis through this process and have therefore found out that the chassis blueprint that was posted above is from a very early 246 and is very different to the later chassis. Very few of the measurements are the same and this caused some confusion when originally doing the drawings. However this is all sorted out now.

We are now starting to get some parts reproduced so with a little more time will be able to supply a very comprehensive kit.

Here is a little preview of the new chassis design for anyone who has not already seen it.
The front suspension will remain the same as the original Dino but with our own wishbones and uprights. The rear has been changed to allow more space for alternative engine/transmission fitment. The suspension has been updated to allow this but the basis geometry remains the same.

More updates to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
Hi All

Not much doing!! Thought I'd update you all on my build. After much measuring and several wooden mock ups I've given up and decided to use one of marks dino chassis. My idea was to get a standard dino chassis and alter it to fit new /bespoke rear suspension while keeping the front as is. But then mark contacted me with some superb news.
For all those that follow the page Mark is working with a french guy who is updating the original chassis to take more modern/bespoke running gear but sticking to the original geometry. He is also working on producing some of the more hard to find pieces. The chassis redesign will use all the original pick up points for everything dino but should allow the fitting of nearly all V6 engine/gearboxes you can think of!! The first chassis should be started soon but the new cad drawings look great.

ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear alfa chassis small.jpg (86.8 KB, 30 views)