Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 8th February 2010, 21:07

clarksy is on a distinguished road
Default Classic Replicas v JH Classics

Hi All, some time back I purchased a Dino replica off e-bay. The guy selling it intimated it was a Classic Replicas Kit as it was missing doors & bonnet & if I contacted them they would help. However, I am now starting to wonder if it isn't. Does anyone know if the CR & Deon chassis are similar? If the Deon chassis is way different then I'm pretty sure I do have a CR. The CR website shows a picture of the chassis & mine does look very similar, but some of the magazine articles I've read don't seem to match up.
The body is double skinned & very well made.
I'm not too bothered which it is but I would like to know so I can make a start this spring!
Available from eBay
Old 9th February 2010, 13:44

mac is on a distinguished road

Hi Clarksy, I don't think I can give you a difinitive answer to your question without seeing the car but I might be able to give you a couple of pointers to help you identify your replica. Classic replica's started building thier Dino in 2001 so if the car you have was registered before then it probably isn't one of thiers, also the only engine that they used was the Alfa V6 and the most common engine for the Deon was a Lancia Beta 2.0ltr so this may give you a clue also. Both cars used a box section space frame chassis but the Deon chassis numbers all started with the prefix DGT so this may also help.
All the best with your re-build. Regards Mac.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:21

clarksy is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks for that. The car is in kit form so no registration & as far as I can tell no chassis number. The kit did come with parts from an Alfa 164 including the v6 engine so I'm definately edging toward the Classic Replica at this point. If possible I will post some pics of the chassis when I can release it from all the junk sitting on top!
Old 10th February 2010, 22:28

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksy View Post
Ok, thanks for that. The car is in kit form so no registration & as far as I can tell no chassis number. The kit did come with parts from an Alfa 164 including the v6 engine so I'm definately edging toward the Classic Replica at this point. If possible I will post some pics of the chassis when I can release it from all the junk sitting on top!
Hello, Deon also used the alfa V6 in some of their later cars, i have sent you a P.M
Old 11th February 2010, 00:08

Mirabeau3000 is on a distinguished road

Classic Replicas chassis are quite different from the Deon ones from what i have seen. The sills on Deon chassis are quite high - about 6 inches - and CR's have a stronger and more triangulated chassis and the cills are a lot lower (I think!). I do know that the CR cars correctly have a front hinging bonnet as opposed to the Deon rear hinged.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jon
Old 11th February 2010, 00:12

Mirabeau3000 is on a distinguished road

Oh yes, almost forgot!

The Classic Replica cars run on Alfa 164 running gear with the 5 stud hubs which means better, bigger brakes than the old 10" lada/Lancia 4 stud jobs on the Deons.

Jon
Old 19th February 2011, 15:29

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi All, some time back I purchased a Dino replica off e-bay. The guy selling it intimated it was a Classic Replicas Kit as it was missing doors & bonnet & if I contacted them they would help. However, I am now starting to wonder if it isn't. Does anyone know if the CR & Deon chassis are similar? If the Deon chassis is way different then I'm pretty sure I do have a CR. The CR website shows a picture of the chassis & mine does look very similar, but some of the magazine articles I've read don't seem to match up.
I'm not too bothered which it is but I would like to know so I can make a start this spring!
WARNING
just to let anyone know who is interested JH classic's is up and about again with yet another interpretation of his dino replica now cut and shut to fit the mr2. be afraid-very afraid!!
Old 19th February 2011, 15:37

Quote:
The moulds for the CR dino were orignally taken from a customer car, a deon dgt, that they were finishing and were infact made by a guy called Marus King who for a while advertised as Low Rider Sports Cars.I know this for a fact as I travelled down to somerset and saw them being manufactured. So deon doors should fit CR's shell. Try and measure you door openings. The passenger side is a different size to the drivers door!!
Old 25th February 2011, 13:46

[QUOTE=thecarbuilder246;20842]The moulds for the CR dino were orignally taken from a customer car, a deon dgt, that they were finishing and were infact made by a guy called Marus King who for a while advertised as Low Rider Sports Cars.I know this for a fact as I travelled down to somerset and saw them being manufactured.

I always suspected this to be the case rather than the sales pitch CR give about their body moulds being lifted off an original Dino.

I am a pretty street wise person but a few years of being around the Dino kit car game and "game" being the correct word i can say i was shocked at the way the makers of these cars operate.

As you stated John Hurst has reared his head again recently, tread with caution!

I was one of the very lucky ones who got out on the up.

Tom Marr, top bloke.

I could say a lot more.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:59

[QUOTE=simmos;20882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
The moulds for the CR dino were orignally taken from a customer car, a deon dgt, that they were finishing and were infact made by a guy called Marus King who for a while advertised as Low Rider Sports Cars.I know this for a fact as I travelled down to somerset and saw them being manufactured.

I always suspected this to be the case rather than the sales pitch CR give about their body moulds being lifted off an original Dino.

I am a pretty street wise person but a few years of being around the Dino kit car game and "game" being the correct word i can say i was shocked at the way the makers of these cars operate.

As you stated John Hurst has reared his head again recently, tread with caution!

Tom Marr, top bloke.

I could say a lot more.
To be honest there is a little truth to their story.The original jhclassic's dino was said to have been moulded from a real dino.Infact the dino (a 206 to be exact) was said belonged to jon hurst himself and it all came about because his car needed a restoration,and being on the ball with prices for real dinos sky high saw an oppotunty to market replicas.
So infact cr's is moulded from a molding taken from mould taken from the real thing!! If you get my drift? But it's a 206 dino. Ian
Old 25th February 2011, 22:21

[QUOTE=thecarbuilder246;20883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmos View Post
To be honest there is a little truth to their story.The original jhclassic's dino was said to have been moulded from a real dino.Infact the dino (a 206 to be exact) was said belonged to jon hurst himself and it all came about because his car needed a restoration,and being on the ball with prices for real dinos sky high saw an oppotunty to market replicas.
So infact cr's is moulded from a molding taken from mould taken from the real thing!! If you get my drift? But it's a 206 dino. Ian
Yes i am aware that the origin of the JH and then CR moulds were from the Dino body shell that was put on a Lotus Europa chassis, but CR have always claimed their moulds have nothing to do with JH classics and were new first generation moulds taken off an original Ferrari Dino they owned, yet the quality of the body shells that come from their moulds will indicate that they are 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th generation.

I found a lot of bullsh!t and half truths about both the JH Classic and CR Dino's and from the people who make them.
Old 26th February 2011, 10:55

I know cr's try to claim they are nothing to do with jhc/deon but they were born from the ashes of them.I think the guy who started cr's was called gordon, and he originally traded from the same industrial site deon were on(he did something with hgv lorries-not sure what)right next door to one of deons units to be precise. I met gordon when I went to deon to collect my bodyshell.He and his son saw me entering the yard in my van with a traillor and came over.He said they(deon) had gone bust and they owed him money.I was taken into the back of their unit where they had a deon chassis,and varoius doen componants including a full floor pan for a dgt,that they were holding to ransom so to speak.I know they had all the deon stuff after the liquidaters went in because they contacted all of deon's customers past and present, offering any help needed to finish part built cars.
I know they have altered the chasis and removed some of the side impact protection rails deon had and they now use alfa mechanicals-but it is just really an updated deon/jhc.
I know there is a lot of bull these guy sprout.I've seen it first hand.I contacted jhc to inquire about the dgt in the 90's and was invited as a guest to view the car at stonely kit car show.I made a special journey there to find one empty stand-nothing.I then found they wouldn't answer the phone. Several weeks later deon was born and they carried on as jhc had left off.Happy to take your hard earned,but give nothinhg in return.And that seems the same today as it's always been.
Old 26th February 2011, 17:30

dino_gt is on a distinguished road
Default Cr Dino

Hi all;

Just to add my comment related to the previous thread. I agree that all said on it regarding classic replicas and Mr. Gordon Ainsby is true.

kind regards

Dino_GT
Old 25th April 2011, 23:44

MrBojangles is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=simmos;20882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
The moulds for the CR dino were orignally taken from a customer car, a deon dgt, that they were finishing and were infact made by a guy called Marus King who for a while advertised as Low Rider Sports Cars.I know this for a fact as I travelled down to somerset and saw them being manufactured.

Tom Marr, top bloke.

I could say a lot more.
Hi all.

There is a link to a facebook page of a new company developing a ferrari dino replica definately worth a look. Looks like they have bought the original J H Classics moulds.
Facebook page name is: DeHavilland Motor Company
Email is: dehavilland@live.co.uk
Old 30th April 2011, 19:15

[QUOTE=MrBojangles;21368]
Quote:

Hi all.

There is a link to a facebook page of a new company developing a ferrari dino replica definately worth a look. Looks like they have bought the original J H Classics moulds.
Facebook page name is: DeHavilland Motor Company
Email is: dehavilland@live.co.uk
The JH classic moulds should be thrown in the local tip IMO, whoever has paid money for them and is considering using these to produce a car in todays market must be retarded.

John Hurst only sold these moulds recently because he knew they are redundant and because in his "wisdom" he has decided to adapt these moulds to fit on a MR2:

Hands up whos going to buy a MR2 rebodied with a Deon shell for cira 15k??????????
Old 4th May 2011, 14:19

Dino gt v2!!
Was at stoneliegh over the week end and couldn't help but laugh.JH classics new conversion looked a joke!!.Too short,to high in middle and too wide.Looked as though it had been rear ended/front ended. Hey even a karma looks better!
Panel fit is rubbish as is the quality of the fibreglass panels-and pricey too-£10,000 just for the kit.stay away!
Old 17th May 2011, 00:22

MrBojangles is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=simmos;21415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

The JH classic moulds should be thrown in the local tip IMO, whoever has paid money for them and is considering using these to produce a car in todays market must be retarded.

John Hurst only sold these moulds recently because he knew they are redundant and because in his "wisdom" he has decided to adapt these moulds to fit on a MR2:

Hands up whos going to buy a MR2 rebodied with a Deon shell for cira 15k??????????
Interesting opinion i always thought the original J H Classics cars were really quite good compared to the tacky body kits that spring up every other week. Interested to know your experiences of the originals saw one on the italian replica club stand at Stoneleigh and i have to say i looked great. Wasn't as convinced by the new DGT V2 looked totally wrong compared with the proportions of the original one on the club stand outside.
Old 17th May 2011, 20:16

[QUOTE=MrBojangles;21517]
Quote:

Interesting opinion i always thought the original J H Classics cars were really quite good compared to the tacky body kits that spring up every other week. Interested to know your experiences of the originals saw one on the italian replica club stand at Stoneleigh and i have to say i looked great. Wasn't as convinced by the new DGT V2 looked totally wrong compared with the proportions of the original one on the club stand outside.
Horrible cars, horrible people.read through existing threads on here and you will get the picture, the DGT V2 says a lot about the person that created it.