Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 15th April 2012, 11:29

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Cool bumper fitting

Hi all
I have a deon and have a set of the group harrington stainless bumpers. Now I've offered them up to the back of the dino and where the fit there is nothing to bolt them to!!! Looking at loads of photos on the net it appears they slide into locating pegs mounted directly to the dino's chassis. This means that the deon boot floor appears to be located lower than that of the original dino as the mounting point come approx 40 mm above the floor. Has anyone else come across this and how have you sorted it. I dont think just bolting them to the fibreglass will cut it really!! as per deon build manual.
I'm looking at welding up a frame from steel angle and bolting this directly to the chassis of the deon through the boot floor,then putting a removable floor onto this. Out riggers similar to the dino ones will protrude through the body on to which will slide the bumper mounts bolted to my bumpers.
Not looked at the front mounting yet as I plan to cut and shut the front end beneath the swage line using a cascu belly mould with the correct vents as per original.
ian
Available from eBay
Old 15th April 2012, 13:34

Dino Builder is on a distinguished road

I can't help you with the bumpers but your idea sounds as good as any. I'm very interested in your plan to modify the front valance though, as I always hated the wonky Deon front corners and the DeHavilland still has the Deon shape - I hope it gets corrected with a new mould eventually, if not - your idea sounds promising. Don't forget pics!
Old 15th April 2012, 23:58

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hi there;

I also have a set of GH bumpers and have come across the same thing! Actually, we thought the same about using a still angle bolted to the chassis. In the original car, however, the tubes supporting the rear bumpers are not fitted directly to the rear frame either, although there´s a still frame surrounding the whole rear panel, so it´s quite strong...

Regarding the front belly panel, I also thought the same thing as well!
It´s a good idea but remember cascu´s is a replica of the late E series dino, with the air intakes, etc, and a Deon is based on a 206 which has a very different panel, which matches with the first Dino series (L-series).
Personally I don´t think it´s a good mixture.

Cheers

Dino-GT
Old 16th April 2012, 00:05

Sorry, I was mistaken. I had a picture of an original Dino in which the bumper stays were not welded directly to the chassis but have other pictures where they are (which makes more sense). So I guess they must be attached to the rear transverse rail of the chassis.
cheers

Dino_GT
Old 20th April 2012, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino_gt View Post
Sorry, I was mistaken. I had a picture of an original Dino in which the bumper stays were not welded directly to the chassis but have other pictures where they are (which makes more sense). So I guess they must be attached to the rear transverse rail of the chassis.
cheers

Dino_GT
Have you offered up your rear GH bumpers to your car yet? I've offered both sides up to my car and feel they stick out at the sides of the car to far and the shape of the bumper at the back of the car doesn't match the back of the car/panel either.It looks like the bumpers need to go in towards the centre of the car around 20mm each side. And also the angle of the bracket/mounting that fixes to the rear wing doesn't match the shape of the rear end/rear wing either. Looking at dino photos they seem to be alot closer to the body. I think a bit more cutting and shutting is needed. Deon had steady bars in the wheel arch that mounted to the front of the rear bumper but these look as though they just bolted to the fibre glass too. May have to weld a return to the boot frame to take these as well!! And that's before I even look at the front bumpers
I know what you mean regarding the 206 nose/belly but I've 246'ed my deon even down to a new engine cover with the correct 7 vents, and personally I like the brake vents off the later 246.
ian
Old 20th April 2012, 22:50

Thumbs up belly pan

hi all
hoping to pick up a belly pan moulding from cascu later this month as he is in this country for a couple of weeks. when I've chopped the front end offthe deon will look at mounting the front bumpers. Unfortunately I cannot load photos on to this sites as they have too many megs!!

ian
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:16

Hi Ian;

I haven´t put the rear bumpers yet, but they seem to leave an equal space to the bodyshell following the lines... However, I´ll tell you better when I´ll put them in place properly. The front bumpers don´t follow the line perfectly, but I think it happens the same with original dinos...

I still have to make a more serious try, since they were too close (almost touching) the body when I fitted them .

Regarding the nose/belly, well, the only thing really important here is that you like your car so that´s the way it has to be...

cheers

Dino_GT
Old 17th June 2012, 17:36

Thumbs up Front bumper fitting

Hi all
Having now managed to fit my rear bumpers I've moved to the front bumpers.I have built up mounting brackets and these have been bolted to the chassis. Then mounting tubes similar to the ones used on the real car have been bolted to these that protrude from the front of the car on to which I have mounted the front bumper brackets.These in turn mount to the bumpers.
When mounting the bumpers, the front drivers side is almost spot on but the passenger side doesn't follow the body at all. On looking more closely I've noticed the body seems to flex real badly in this area-in fact up to almost 1" of movement can be obtain without really trying!! I've cut some timber and wedged this in causing the body work below the swage line to move out to better fit the bumpers and have noticed this seems to give the front end a lifted look. The body in this area is poorly supported and this could be the cause of the drooped nose look people on here have mentioned.
I have posted in another area for information regarding the deon front bumper stays and just wondered if anybody can supply a measurement of this item?
ian
Old 17th June 2012, 18:07

Hi Ian;

Agree with you about the droopy nose. In fact, I suspect that the moulds could also have been taken from a shell which already had the problem. Watching Dehavillands shells, their moulds (Jh classics moulds) seem to look this way as well.

Regarding the information from Deon, there´s nothing on the manual I have. I believe it´s better to look for your own solution, as I am doing myself.

I have planned to make a new support for the radiator and the front bumpers at the same time, but I haven´t done anything yet.

cheers

Dino_GT