Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 30th December 2013, 22:12

Mille Miglia is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone knows which kitcar brand this is?

Hi all,

I aquired some while ago a partly build Dino replica.
The body is not new, as it probably has been used for a previous project, but the chassis looks brand new.

I believe the body is a DGT?? Could anyone confirm this?
But I do not know what brand/manufacturer the chassis is?

I have this replica currently for sale but actually do not realy want to sell it but due to the fact I do not know the maker of both the chassis and body, I am not sure which specific parts I should use to complete the car.

Does anyone recognize either the body and/or the chassis?
If so, does anyone has a build manual? I would highly appreciate to obtain this as I would like to know for example what parts are used (from what donor) to fit the doors, what steering column is needed etc.

Please refer to the following link:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C439244

I have quite some experience restoring classic cars; Porsches 911's and Ferrari's 308's, so to build a replica should not be a big problem to me.

Any support is welcome!!
Available from eBay
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:39

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hello There;

That car seems to me has been made by classic replicas. I don´t know if you know them, but I don´t think there´s a build manual or certain parts to use. I´d say that project will be more like a "search and adapt thing".
I´d also say be very careful with suspension and steering systems when you look for parts to adapt. Even if you are able to contact classic replicas, I don´t think they are going to be helpful, even if they want to help: they are not qualified professionals when it comes to designing or building a car...

hope this helps.
Old 3rd January 2014, 22:38

Many thanks for your info.
Do you perhaps know where they are based?
And whether they are still in business?
Would highly appreciate to make some progression with this project.
Old 4th January 2014, 00:22

They were based at bridgwater, somerset. I don´t know if they are still in business. Many people had problems with them so be careful, even if the owner iseems to be kind, etc.
Old 4th January 2014, 11:44

scimjim is on a distinguished road

I've read all of the threads about this company on MK and find it very interesting that the name Classic Replicas is also embroiled within the Den Tanner/Peter Filby/Ken Cook/Bob Busbridge - Cobretti/Viper/Brightwheel/etc Cobra Replica scene

Ken Cook apparently wound up Classic Replicas in late 2001 after winning the trademark "Viper" back from Chrysler after 10 years of legal battles

Mr Gordon Edward Ainsby doesn't appear to be a director of any active limited companies but:

he was director of Falcon Transport Services Ltd from Jun 91 to (receivership) 1996 and briefly, a director for West Somerset Logistics Ltd (Dec 2000-April 2001). A Mr Edward Ainsby was director of GEA transport Ltd from Dec 92 to (dissolved) May 93. Of course date of last submitted accounts can be very different to date dissolved.

as well as a few other dissolved companies (Grovebridge Engineering Ltd, Eco-Ware UK Ltd, Eco-San (SW) Ltd) he was also a director of the following dissolved companies:

Classic Replicas (UK) Ltd was incorporated in Feb 02 and dissolved in Nov 05
Classic Replicas 09 Ltd was incorporated in Jan 09 and dissolved in May 10
Classic Replicas 02 Ltd was incorporated Nov 10 and dissolved Mar 13

all of this is freely available online, as are registered addresses etc.
Old 4th January 2014, 12:14

Indeed does not sound like a stable company with a vision how to grow a company.
I thought it was a DGT, as the body is from an older project.
Anyone who has a DGT build manual or could help me with some practical questions?
For example:
-Door hinges and door locks; what donor source are these taken from?

Well, I either plan to sell the project or put time and efforts into it to turn it into a Dino 246 Le Mans replica.
Old 4th January 2014, 17:00

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Not 100% sure but mot parts would be from lancia beta and/ or fiat x19
Old 5th January 2014, 19:56

Hello;
If it´s of any help: i don´t believe that any part of a DEON/ DGT is suitable to that car, simply because it´s a completely different chassis. even door hinges could be different, because they are attached to the fiberglass in the case of a deon, whereas in that car it is something similar to the original dino (attached to the chassis) I´d say, maybe doorframes, but certainly not uprights/hubs, steering (for sure) etc. So a DGT manual would not help.

That said, I believe that chassis, if well constructed, could be better than the one of a deon. However, to make a suspension and steering work on it, you have to look for the appropiate parts for the chassis pick up points dimensions. If you have experience with 308´s I´d give a try in fitting parts of the front end of a 308 GT4 (if possible). The rear end is another story.
Old 6th January 2014, 20:00

Ferrotus is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone knows which kitcar brand this is?

Also, unless DGT extended the bodyshell (and chassis) the two cars are very different as the DGT originated from a 206GT whereas I am led to believe the Classics car was produced from a 246GT.
Old 12th January 2014, 13:18

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Miglia View Post
Hi all,

I aquired some while ago a partly build Dino replica.
The body is not new, as it probably has been used for a previous project, but the chassis looks brand new.

I believe the body is a DGT?? Could anyone confirm this?
But I do not know what brand/manufacturer the chassis is?

I have this replica currently for sale but actually do not realy want to sell it but due to the fact I do not know the maker of both the chassis and body, I am not sure which specific parts I should use to complete the car.

Does anyone recognize either the body and/or the chassis?
If so, does anyone has a build manual? I would highly appreciate to obtain this as I would like to know for example what parts are used (from what donor) to fit the doors, what steering column is needed etc.

Please refer to the following link:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C439244

I have quite some experience restoring classic cars; Porsches 911's and Ferrari's 308's, so to build a replica should not be a big problem to me.

Any support is welcome!!
Hi
I'm a bit late to this thread. I know that CR did start out with a cut and shut deon chassis and a bodyshell moulded from a car they finished for a disgruntled deon owner.
Later mods included updating running gear and engines. They did claim to have a 246 dino chassis that was copied and a 246 shell they remoulded but from the advert you have posted it does look like the body you have is the deon moulded one with the low nose. I cannot really tell which chassis you have. I have deon parts lists/build manuals if you need them but I doubt they would be of much help.
Ian
Old 19th January 2014, 18:30

Drsquashdavid is on a distinguished road
Default Chassis -- Deon

Hi
I am a novice at forums, have a Deon Mirabeau which is fully stripped down for a significant redesign and eventual rebuild.

I have been unable to load some photos of my Deon chassis - just to visualise.

HELP PLEASE- guide me how to load from I-pad to forum.

There are 2 photos of a Deon chassis to see:::: JH Classics have their LM Deon for sale , it is advertised in kit cars / Ferrari on Pistonheads currently, so able to see their Deon LeMans build originally circac1996 and the Deon chassis.

From what I can see in the photos you have posted I feel sure this chassis is not Deon.

Deon door locking mechanism ( not locks) were LDV. I have just bought a LDV 400 convoy mechanism from 88-93 van== same. There are a couple on eBay at moment for sale. The 300 LDV could well fit ,I suspect

Best wishes
Dave
Old 7th February 2014, 16:06

I took a closer look to this kit and I believe the chassis is not the original chassis which came with the body.
I believe the body is used as it looks stripped from parts.
I will try to up-load some detailed pictures of the body, especially I would like to find out what hinges and door locks are used.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:05

Ringo Grumio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsquashdavid View Post
Hi
I am a novice at forums, have a Deon Mirabeau which is fully stripped down for a significant redesign and eventual rebuild.

I have been unable to load some photos of my Deon chassis - just to visualise.

HELP PLEASE- guide me how to load from I-pad to forum.

There are 2 photos of a Deon chassis to see:::: JH Classics have their LM Deon for sale , it is advertised in kit cars / Ferrari on Pistonheads currently, so able to see their Deon LeMans build originally circac1996 and the Deon chassis.

From what I can see in the photos you have posted I feel sure this chassis is not Deon.

Deon door locking mechanism ( not locks) were LDV. I have just bought a LDV 400 convoy mechanism from 88-93 van== same. There are a couple on eBay at moment for sale. The 300 LDV could well fit ,I suspect

Best wishes
Dave
Join an image hosting site like Flikr, upload your images. Access your images full screen until you can see the path for the image in the address bar ie http://www.flickr.com/my car.jpg and then copy the link. When you post on here wrap image tags around the image address
I.e. [img ]http://www.flickr.com/my car.jpg[/img ] but take the spaces out of the image tag. I had to put them in to get the code to display.
Old 8th February 2014, 16:12

Inspace is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi I have a similar issue to yourself but I was ripped off by CR so know exactly what the company was like & Gordon Ainsby in particular.
My car body I have now cut in two just at the front of the cill, it also had some metal angle 1" bonded to the screen uprights and welded ( badly) to the body.
I cut this also to remove the front. Then about 10 rivets holding the back on.
With them both removed I got a clear picture of the chassis. All the welds are messy and there are a huge amount of them. Heavy box tube has been used and the thing is clonky. A friend of mine who banger races says it looks more like what they make for that or a Landy.
The faults are endless, geometry out etc. Gordon Ainsby is Lucky non of his car ever made it to the road straight from him or he'd have killed some poor unsuspecting customer. I do know now of one that is roadworthy but this guy spend a fortune having the car overhauled & effectively rebuilt. He also has his as a La mans Replica and it's going to shows.
My advice would be to forget Classic replicas & have no dealings at all with Gordon Ainsby. Instead speak to Cuscu or Dehaviland Motors.
Get the chassis checked before you start or you will waste a lot of money.
Good luck.