Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 18th October 2018, 15:01

rockford is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from Ontario, Canada

Hello All, I'm sort of new here, was registered many years ago but not very active.

I'm looking for any direction regards to a Dino 246 - completed car, project or body kit for sale. Let me know if you have something or know of where one may be available? Preferably from North America but open to all options.

I am also interested in a 250 GTO, same as above, complete, project or body kit.

Appreciate any and all help, thanks look forward to hearing back.

Last edited by rockford; 18th October 2018 at 15:09..
Available from eBay
Old 18th October 2018, 15:21

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

There are cars over here in the UK that might be of interest. They include 250 SWB's, a couple of GTO's etc. Shipping costs are not as high as you might think.
Old 18th October 2018, 15:38

Thanks Lucky, yes the container cost for shipping isn't of concern, I do, however, prefer a LHD.

I did communicate with a fellow who had a 250 GTO advertised on ebay, but his car is a RHD.

Thanks for your input.
Old 18th October 2018, 23:38

The kit suppliers over here will be able to help you out with left hand drive options as will the build agents for most of these cars. You could commission a new build in left hand drive to your own specifications. The exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.
Old 19th October 2018, 02:46

Thanks again Lucky, ideally a body kit will be much easier for me to import. As you may be aware Transport Canada has closed the door on importation of kit cars.

Regarding the exchange rate, actually the converse is true for me, the buying power of the Canadian dollar compared to the Euro or British Pound is approximately worth half.

A purchase costing 1000 BP would cost me in excess of $1700 Canadian dollars, so a car costing 20,000 BP would equate to approximately $34,000 CDN, not so favorable.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 19th October 2018, 17:42

I didn't know about your import regs, I don't think it will be common knowledge over here.

What do the regs say ? What is a kit car ? Can you still import Morgan's or Lotus cars for example. Just asking as many hand built cars, if built at a factory, whilst assembled from a kit of parts are not considered "kit cars", even though they are !

Build agent or "factory" built commissioned cars might be ok with Canada regs, perhaps ?

The value of the £ might turn to s***e in March next year !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 19th October 2018 at 17:46..
Old 21st October 2018, 02:39

The regulations are very clear, here is the general wording...

If you want to import a kit car or a reproduction vehicle that can be driven, you must provide proof that it meets all passenger car class CMVSS before importing it. There is no difference, under the Act, between assembled and disassembled vehicles. Note: Most kit cars do NOT qualify. Therefore, kit cars cannot be manufactured to sell in Canada or imported into Canada.

Since most kit cars meet Transport Canada's definition of a "passenger car", they must meet the safety standards for that class.

A "car kit" or a "starter kit" allows opportunity for a home build. I have worked with Transport Canada in the past and have successfully imported such starter kits.

Build agent or "factory" built commissioned cars are not likely to be allowed entry as they do not meet all Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards which include crash testing among others.

It appears as though there is continuing support for another referendum - vote regarding the Brexit deal?

Thanks again for your input.
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:41

Still on the lookout for a Dino body kit. I like the JH CLASSICS targa version for the MR2 donor.

Let me know if you have something or know of where one may be for sale?

Thanks again for any input.