Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th June 2020, 14:23

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road
Default Reverse Trike MSVA Question

Hi

Starting to look at building a single seater reverse trike, and fancy the challenge of fabricating the frame myself. The design is based on a front frame that the entire motorbike frame bolts into using the headstock (similar to the picture below).

My end state for this would be electric power (I’ve got the EV bug having just finished this motorbike conversion ....

)

Anyway, back to the topic .... I’m designing it on the basis that this needs to go through MSVA, but as I’m retaining the entire frame, swing arm, engine (albeit converted to electric) and rear wheel and, as it could be reverted back to a motorcycle, I remember a while back you used to be able to register this on the original V5 for the bike without it needing to go through MSVA. The key point being that as you haven’t welded the trike frame to the bike frame (it’s bolted including the headstock) it can be reverted to the original wheel plan. You used to be able to go through the process of re-registering similar to that of a radically altered kit car.

Looking around other forums I’ve seen a similar question raised recently without any real clarity, so just wanted to check if anyone had a view here?

As I said I’ll plan on the basis of it going through MSVA but would be good to know if the ‘bolt on’ approach still applies.

Many thanks
Available from eBay