Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th February 2008, 12:51
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Smile Mikes BMW Marlin Cabrio

Big hello to you guys who regularly use madabout....

Many thanks for the hours of pleasure I have had looking at your builds and the different solutions you have each found to similar problems/opportunities.

I hope you don't mind us Cabrio builders piggy backing your Sportster site - but we do have a genuine interest as some of us have gone down the BMW route.
I have chosen to fit an E36 M50 vanos in to my Cabrio - and have finally been spurred in to joining madabout by Rob Dorey's entry , as he has a M50 engine.

Rob, do you have any photos of your build? I would love to see how you are getting on. How have you dealt with the electrics - did you use the BMW's own loom, or buy a new one?

I am some way behind you guys with my build, but have made some changes to my chassis which may interest you. If interested I have also opened up a flickr account: www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_bmw_marlin_cabrio
Hope you like them: and many thanks for enlightenment over the past 18 months.
regards
Mike
Available from eBay
Old 8th February 2008, 13:08
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Robin
Old 8th February 2008, 13:42
Enthusiast

RobDorey is on a distinguished road

I spent many happy hours sat on an old office chair with the old loom spread out on the garage floor. Stripping out the circuits I didn't need, so that when it came to the build I could keep to the BMW colours.
The main problem I had was trying to fit the 2 computers(ABS & ECU), fuse box and most of the relays under the passenger side and still have enough room for someone to put their feet in. And actually, looking back, it wasn't so hard and was a joy to do.
I've tried to use as many unmodified parts as possible from the donor car to make life easier if something breaks.
Old 8th February 2008, 14:02
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike - Nice set of pics. Loving the engine hoist!
Old 8th February 2008, 14:07
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

hi Mike
Old 8th February 2008, 22:34
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Yeah, great set of photo's and some very interesting and adventurous mods.
When did you take delivery from Marlin? It must be one of the last ones they did.
cheers

Peter
Old 9th February 2008, 20:18
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

This raises a good point actually. With Javelin continuing the Cabrio and utilising BMW goodies, what do you guys think about opening this forum up to Cabrio builders or would it be better to create a new forum for Cabrio builders (assuming there is demand for one of course)

Quite happy to be guided by the masses.

John
Old 9th February 2008, 20:36
Enthusiast

Hi John

If you remember it was me that suggested you start the forum :-). There aren't a huge number of Sportster or Cabrio builders (so it seems) and as there is a lot of commonality between the cars my vote would be to open the forum to both. What do you other guys think?

Robin
Old 9th February 2008, 20:39
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Hi John

If you remember it was me that suggested you start the forum :-). There aren't a huge number of Sportster or Cabrio builders (so it seems) and as there is a lot of commonality between the cars my vote would be to open the forum to both. What do you other guys think?

Robin
I agree a combined forum would probably work quite well
Old 9th February 2008, 21:06
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
This raises a good point actually. With Javelin continuing the Cabrio and utilising BMW goodies, what do you guys think about opening this forum up to Cabrio builders or would it be better to create a new forum for Cabrio builders (assuming there is demand for one of course)

Quite happy to be guided by the masses.

John
John,
I think we have already made Simon and Mike welcome and the cars are quite similar with their clothes off!

My vote is leave it as a combined section but maybe change the title to 'Sportster/Cabrio builds' so that any newcommers don't miss anything.

I wonder if there are any Javelin builders out there that frequent this site?

Peter
Old 9th February 2008, 21:07

Simon is on a distinguished road

Keeping it a combined forum gets my vote too. As Robin says, there aren't alot of Sportster and Cabrio builder around.

Simon
Old 10th February 2008, 00:44
Big Cheese

Righto....Forum name changed to reflect the introduction of Cabrio builds.

John
Old 17th February 2008, 08:25
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the welcome.
I've just come back from a weeks holiday and found you've changed the forum name - very nice gesture- many thanks.

Intriguing questions?
JG - Who are you- I've worked out who the other guys are?

Javelin - how many BMW based Cabrios have they sold?
Does the MOC have any record of Javelin sales?
Can we encourage them to join this forum/MOC?

Similarly there must be other Sportster build on going that could be encouraged?
The more ideas the better the build!
Mike
Old 17th February 2008, 13:34
Big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Thank you all for the welcome.
I've just come back from a weeks holiday and found you've changed the forum name - very nice gesture- many thanks.

Intriguing questions?
JG - Who are you- I've worked out who the other guys are?

Mike
Mike, I run Madabout for my sins.

John
Old 11th March 2008, 23:46
Enthusiast

Talking

Quick Update.
After months of going backwards, cutting and narrowing the transmission tunnel, modifying a pair of Audi A4 sports seats, widening the footwell, and modifying the pedals and pedal box, this part of the build is coming together. I've had my seats re-covered, and they fit (phew! - it was always a concern they would be too tight): the wider spaced pedals have trial fitted in the footwell really nicely. There is a good sized space between the accelerator and the brake pedal, and the action of all the pedals has been improved by the needle roller bearings and better support brackets.[If you are interested have a look at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_bmw_marlin_cabrio/
When I have a bit more time I will learn how to import the odd photo in to this site.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:28
Enthusiast

Nice mods to the pedal box. The thing as supplied by Marlin has always seemed a little flimsy to me.

When I "prepared" mine I modified the adapter block that Marlin supplies so that the pedal pushes on the center of the servo pushrod rather than on one side.

Robin
Old 12th March 2008, 13:59
Enthusiast

Nice mods, I should have done more to mine really!
Old 13th March 2008, 18:38
Enthusiast

Nice mods to the pedal box. The thing as supplied by Marlin has always seemed a little flimsy to me.

When I "prepared" mine I modified the adapter block that Marlin supplies so that the pedal pushes on the center of the servo pushrod rather than on one side.

Robin
I am planning to extend the servo push rod (cut and weld insert) leaving the forked end to attach to directly to the pedal: this will leave a single pivot connection rather than the double one created by the adaptor. IThis has the double benefit of lining the pushrod with the servo centre line, and reducing the play in the overall pedal-servo connection.
Mike
Old 14th March 2008, 08:59
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I am planning to extend the servo push rod (cut and weld insert) leaving the forked end to attach to directly to the pedal: this will leave a single pivot connection rather than the double one created by the adaptor. IThis has the double benefit of lining the pushrod with the servo centre line, and reducing the play in the overall pedal-servo connection.
Mike
I thought about this but it then means you have a non-standard servo which is not so good for spares. In fact the Marlin supplied adapter I have is machined (crudely) to accept the end of the fork so that you don't have two joints than can pivot.

If you are using the marlin adapter that fits between the servo and the master cylinder you may also need a little spacer that fits between the servo push rod and the mater cylinder. If you don't the pedal moves about halfway to the floor before anything happens! You can see some pictures on my website.

Robin
Old 14th March 2008, 21:42
Enthusiast

Robin

Good point about the non-standard servo.
I have made my own adaptor, from 5mm plate, and then a pushrod spacer, so hopefully I will not get any excess travel, but until I get it all plummed up I am not sure how much pedal travel I will get.

Mike