Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 17th October 2014, 12:12

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Ferrari side markers / indicators

These Altissimo items are available from Christian via the german ebay or after contact, directly and Paypal. Altissimo part number 414.12.18. This week they cost me 93E = £76

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Seitenblinker...3D300711926657
Old 17th October 2014, 17:56

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Bought those Indicators from that seller , when I first started , Geoff .
Old 18th October 2014, 17:35

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Been looking at lots of pictures of SWB interiors and trying to find suitable seats.

The race cars tend to be fitted with small buckets, similar to AC Cobra seats, but the road going cars have an assortment of far more comfy looking armchair style seats.

I had decided that MGB seats would fit the bill,

and was surfing for 'MG leather seats' on ebay when I had a moment of inspiration. On finding these Rover 45/MGZS seats it triggered a vague memory of possibly seeing something similar in a 250 SWB.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1913674076...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A bit more surfing and I rediscovered this link to a customer specified road car -

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...%2012-Cylinder

So, a pair of period looking leather seats for under £100, and maybe even turn the rears into a Top Gear style sofa, preferably without the H982FKL number plate attached in case the premium Argentinian cow hides they're covered in attack...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 18th October 2014 at 17:46..
Old 18th October 2014, 22:24

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Yep the rover seats are very retro....
Old 19th October 2014, 18:02

y cymro is on a distinguished road

The B seats might fit but I wonder if the squabs of the MG/Rover ones are too high to allow head room?
Old 19th October 2014, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
The B seats might fit but I wonder if the squabs of the MG/Rover ones are too high to allow head room?
Good point, they might need a bit of modification to the frame.

Mind you, the Z3 seats aren't exactly compact -

Compared to -

The Rover seats might even be a bit lower...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 19th October 2014 at 19:03..
Old 19th October 2014, 20:45

I didn't realise the z3 seats were that tall as the driving position feels low. Though I when I removed one from the car because the electric drive motor jammed I notice it must weigh about 40kgs.
Good find on the MG ones.
Old 27th October 2014, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Picked up some nice old Jag bolt on wires from ebay, should look the part

Sorry to dip back so far into this thread, but do the Jag bolt on's just bolt on to the Beemer hubs or do they need modification first?

I see there's not much in it PCD wise, they're 5x120.65 while the BMW has 5x120. Is it just a case of elongating the holes by .65mm?

I know you guys are always busy but it'd be nice to hear if there's been any progress...
Old 27th October 2014, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I see there's not much in it PCD wise, they're 5x120.65 while the BMW has 5x120. Is it just a case of elongating the holes by .65mm?
You're right about the difference in pcd and obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to elongate the holes due to that affecting the mounting tapers needed to locate the wheel.
Eccentric washers are available for this and are widely used, though I have no experience of using them. They're known as 'wobble bolts' and look like this

I found them on this American site via a quick google
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2142850/
Old 27th October 2014, 09:59

I measured a pair of MG/Rover seats at yesterday's Restoration Show and think they'll be too wide for a Z3 - though it was a rough and ready measurement. Whereas on the Z3 the rear of the backrest is tapered to be narrower than the front face, on the MG its wider. The front face is about 15mm wider than the Z3 whilst the rear face is more than 40mm wider. I suppose you may get away with it if you sit close to the steering wheel and don't push the seat far back.

Last edited by y cymro; 27th October 2014 at 10:03..
Old 27th October 2014, 10:15

Quote:
You're right about the difference in pcd and obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to elongate the holes due to that affecting the mounting tapers needed to locate the wheel.
Eccentric washers are available for this and are widely used, though I have no experience of using them. They're known as 'wobble bolts' and look like this
Thinking about this, is the centre bore of the Jag larger than the BM? If so you'll need a spigot washer to locate the wheel if using wobble bolts as otherwise it will be difficult to centralise the wheel.
Chris has fitted these wheels to his SWB so I'm sure will be able to advise you.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:55

Quote:
I measured a pair of MG/Rover seats at yesterday's Restoration Show and think they'll be too wide for a Z3 - though it was a rough and ready measurement. Whereas on the Z3 the rear of the backrest is tapered to be narrower than the front face, on the MG its wider. The front face is about 15mm wider than the Z3 whilst the rear face is more than 40mm wider. I suppose you may get away with it if you sit close to the steering wheel and don't push the seat far back.
Interesting, were they this type you measured?

40mm wider at the back is only four fifths of an inch to find each side. Once I've purchased a donor (don't hold your breath) a bit of clearance measuring will tell me if I can get away with fitting budget leather seats.

On the wheel front, I've been struggling to find a look I like. All the originals I've seen have dished Borrani wires - beautiful but two grand+ each.

The only wires I've found that look the part for anything like the sort of money I'd consider are AC/Aston/Morgan 6x15 with a 10mm ET from MWS, but these would still swallow about £260 per corner (with adaptors and 3 eared spinners) plus tyres of course.

http://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=490

For half that price I thought about having new steels banded an inch (sprayed silver) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4-B...item258e565c08

http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk/#!price-list/c1ez2

But, I might just have found a budget compromise -

They have the dished look I want and I could always upgrade to the AC wires when funds allow...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 27th October 2014 at 12:58..
Old 27th October 2014, 17:22

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

I have a set of Jag wire wheels, recently powder coated, available for a reasonable price.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:40

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry to dip back so far into this thread, but do the Jag bolt on's just bolt on to the Beemer hubs or do they need modification first?

I know you guys are always busy but it'd be nice to hear if there's been any progress...
My old jag wires bolted straight on even with the 0.65mm difference (how wide is a human hair?) using over length BMW tapered bolts (solid not sleeved)and the centre bore was spot on with no spigots needed. All dumb luck, take a chance on ebay stuff They are a tad wobbly at 45 and 70mph but after some rotation from front to back has proved usable. I will be replacing them when funds allow (that won't be soon) with these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKET-RAC...item7b6d616d53

with gray centres. Period looking and scratch my Hot Rod itch.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:47

I do like those Rocket 'rod wheels, they'll look pretty cool.

The 7x15, ET10 BBS's look like superb value though at around £100 to £200 per set and they'll definitely fit without fouling anywhere.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:52

Default Small progress

The need to earn some money has slowed the SWB development down, anyone who is self employed will know how taking a holiday is a financial nightmare, but back on it now.

After marking out the side vents on the car in pencil, I sprayed them in black to check how they would look once cut in the bodywork:

These were then transferred to an old bonnet of the same curvature. Easier to construct and mould the vents on a bench than the car:

Still lots of work to do on the shape. Once perfected they can be splash mould and 4 handed vent produced and the rears sectioned to reduce the height compared to the fronts, then cut into and bonded to the car/buck,
Old 27th October 2014, 20:56

Quote:
I do like those Rocket 'rod wheels, they'll look pretty cool.

The 7x15, ET10 BBS's look like superb value though at around £100 to £200 per set and they'll definitely fit without fouling anywhere.
And with a set of those £19 chrome/plastic 3 ear spinners from Europa will look great.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:59

Coming along nicely now, those penciled/infilled vents look pretty convincing in the photos.
Old 27th October 2014, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
And with a set of those £19 chrome/plastic 3 ear spinners from Europa will look great.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. I do like the look of the MWS dished wires but I have a suspicion that the short ET and 1.25" extra per side that the adaptors push the wheels out would lead them to foul the arches.

I did find this useful tool for checking the difference between different wheel/tyre/offset combinations -

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Combine that with this site to compare original BMW fitment -

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/z3/

This is how I can be pretty sure that 7x15's with ET10 will fit within the arches.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:59

Plastic Porsche is on a distinguished road
Default MWS Cobra wires

Your right, the MWS 6 x 15 wires do stick out a bit, the ET is actually -16 so they stick out alot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20140907_153103.jpg (89.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20140907_153036.jpg (93.8 KB, 55 views)