Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 7th July 2011, 14:57

vipered is on a distinguished road
Default Deon 246

Hi One and all, can anyone tell me what windscreen is fitted into the original Deon 246 as i want to get a new top tint screen and replacement rubber.
thanks
Available from eBay
Old 8th July 2011, 10:42

jonhopper is on a distinguished road

I think Deon had a batch of screens made up; mine cracked early on, and Autoglass fitted a Dino 246 screen, which fitted better than the Deon original....
Old 8th July 2011, 19:47

Default windscreen

Thanks Johnhopper
Old 14th July 2011, 09:26

Inspace is on a distinguished road

CLASSIC REPLICAS BEWARE!
This company is still running and at present have a large sum of my money with no sign of a promised car or returning my funds.
I was told by Gordon I was buying a part built car from a customer who was unable to take the car. My experiences of this man now puts this in question.
The car was promised to be ready in April /May. Then with out contacting me it moved to June. When I called to see how it was going and subsequently visited (in June) I was told end July. When I got there I found the car no where near complete. No doors, Boot, bonnet, Glass, lights, not sprayed, no wheels,No bumpers, no interior ordered as well as many other issues.

Gordon who seemed like a nice guy when I first met him has avoided me since the first set back and now will not take my calls.
I am forced to pass messages through his secretary and even then he still doesn't respond.
He has left me no choice but to consider Legal action against the company as I have tried ever other way to make this deal work, even offering to take the car as it stands and have someone else build it.

BEWARE {comment deleted - Be careful what you post on this forum, its not a free for all} . I even mentioned the negative comments posted on this site once when I was there and he suggested it was a bad customer. I really wish I had spoken to that customer instead. Do not be fooled or you will be sorry. With out doubt he will be on responding and I welcome it.. He will say 'call me' but they are hollow words as he won't speak to me. He will suggest there are two sides as with a previous customer. You just need to read between the lines. This is a small business unable to produce more than 2-3 cars a year, if that the same cars have been there every time I visited.
Ask to speak to a satisfied (unrelated) customer if there is one. I have never come across such a crazy situation. He is letting himself down and a potentially good idea go to waste. His staff are always helpful but without Gordon keeping his word they are left to pick up the pieces.

I AM POSTING THIS TO WARN OTHER POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS

If you are a someone else who has had bad dealings with CLASSIC REPLICAS then please get in touch and lets join forces.

Contact me at ugotme.austin@gmail.com

Last edited by JG; 19th July 2011 at 18:58.. Reason: Please keep posts factual and not personal, posts will get deleted if they get out of hand
Old 14th July 2011, 18:38

sorry to hear about "the goings on"
Many years ago i had similarly bad experiences with the 1st kit car i bought. My dad and I paid for two kits and was seriously messed around. We eventually got the kits after many months (which i think was due to my dad being a policemen) and then we had all the classics of components not fitting or not having been told the full story on what was required. The web is such a power full information/ communication tool, if it had been around then i would not have spent my hard earned cash.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:02

Thanks vipered,
It is such a shame as I would have liked to have a good replica but now don't even have the faith in them to build one. I have had several other unsatisfied customers contact me already and hopefully together we can stop Gordon Ainsley wasting anyone else's time and money. Not to mention getting our own money back. I will be speaking to Alpha Romeo tomorrow then onto Watchdog and Rogue traders. After all he promises goods but doesn't produce them so they may well take this and run with it.
PS. The Dino in your car shot look very nice, hows it go?
Old 15th July 2011, 16:19

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspace View Post
CLASSIC REPLICAS BEWARE!
This company is still running and at present have a large sum of my money with no sign of a promised car or returning my funds.
I was told by Gordon I was buying a part built car from a customer who was unable to take the car. My experiences of this man now puts this in question.
The car was promised to be ready in April /May. Then with out contacting me it moved to June. When I called to see how it was going and subsequently visited (in June) I was told end July. When I got there I found the car no where near complete. No doors, Boot, bonnet, Glass, lights, not sprayed, no wheels,No bumpers, no interior ordered as well as many other issues.

Gordon who seemed like a nice guy when I first met him has avoided me since the first set back and now will not take my calls.
I am forced to pass messages through his secretary and even then he still doesn't respond.
He has left me no choice but to consider Legal action against the company as I have tried ever other way to make this deal work, even offering to take the car as it stands and have someone else build it.

BEWARE {comment deleted - Be careful what you post on this forum, its not a free for all} . I even mentioned the negative comments posted on this site once when I was there and he suggested it was a bad customer. I really wish I had spoken to that customer instead. Do not be fooled or you will be sorry. With out doubt he will be on responding and I welcome it.. He will say 'call me' but they are hollow words as he won't speak to me. He will suggest there are two sides as with a previous customer. You just need to read between the lines. This is a small business unable to produce more than 2-3 cars a year, if that the same cars have been there every time I visited.
Ask to speak to a satisfied (unrelated) customer if there is one. I have never come across such a crazy situation. He is letting himself down and a potentially good idea go to waste. His staff are always helpful but without Gordon keeping his word they are left to pick up the pieces.

I AM POSTING THIS TO WARN OTHER POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS

If you are a someone else who has had bad dealings with CLASSIC REPLICAS then please get in touch and lets join forces.

Contact me at ugotme.austin@gmail.com

Don't know how many more people are going to have an experience like this before others get the message JH Classics & Classic replicas and both the people who run them are cut from the same cloth are wolfes in sheeps clothing and yet both try and distance themselfs from each other even though the one spawned the other.

They have both traded of the fact the Ferrari Dino is a intoxicating car to look at and the price of the original is now out of reach for most, but the bottom line is their cars were not, not now and never will be worth the grief and will leave a sour taste.

BTW they both lurk on here and play silly games

Last edited by JG; 19th July 2011 at 18:58..
Old 15th July 2011, 18:24

Default I will end this

Thanks for the input Simmons,

I am aware they hit this site
But I am not bothered by him in the slightest and will be seeing him in person soon.
Old 16th July 2011, 23:21

MrBojangles is on a distinguished road

Heard nothing but bad things regarding CR as was looking at getting one so glad i looked on the web and found how badly they have treated people. A new company has started up called DeHavilland Motor Company they have a facebook page showing the construction of the first demo car. The owner seems a top guy and talks alot of sence he also seems to know what he is talking about unlike CR seem to be full of bull.
Hope you get your cash back from CR defo check out DeHavilland your dream might not be dead in the water just yet.
Old 17th July 2011, 00:36

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Heard nothing but bad things regarding CR as was looking at getting one so glad i looked on the web and found how badly they have treated people. A new company has started up called DeHavilland Motor Company they have a facebook page showing the construction of the first demo car. The owner seems a top guy and talks alot of sence he also seems to know what he is talking about unlike CR seem to be full of bull.
Hope you get your cash back from CR defo check out DeHavilland your dream might not be dead in the water just yet.

This company has used the JH classic body moulds so it will fail
Old 18th July 2011, 19:52

Bikidude is on a distinguished road
Default DeHavilland Motor Company

I visited the DeHavilland Motor Company yesterday (16/07/11). These are my thoughts for what it is worth.
I met with Terry , the guiding force behind this project.
Terrys father is also involved with this project. He has many years experience within this industry.
Terry told me the history of this project, where and how he had obtained the moulds and their history. He did not claim , like others, that the moulds were from an original Dino .
This Dino is based on an MGTF. Again Terry told me the reasons behind this and they were all sound. The result being that the car , once completed , should be reasonable quick and more importantly from my point of view, it should handle well. Terry is anticipating fitting a V6 engine at a later date which is probably my preferred option.
Also being based on an MGTF this should shorten the build time as the two sub chassis will be removed from the base car and then bolted to the Dino chassis, possible a days work at most. Obviously there are alterations that have to be made to the steering column.
Terry has come up with some ingenious solutions to problems he has encountered and, appears to me, not to have sacrificed quality with a desire to keep the costs reasonable. I am not a mechanical engineer but within the industry I work in, I know that if it looks right and works right then 99% of the time it is right and his solutions looked right.
I was disappointed that this project is not at the stage where I could sit in the dino to make sure that I could comfortable see though the windscreen, operate the pedals and the gearstick etc...
However Terry thinks that this stage will be reached soon but I think he is a tad optimistic with his timescale. However I was able to appreciate the quality of the body which Terry informed me that as it is the prototype , production bodies would actually be better.
He also explained that most dino kit cars suffered from a drooping front nose but again due to his attention to detail this one will not.
I am looking forward to re-visiting the company once the seating has been installed.
I will be following the progress of this project and look forward to a test drive later this year?
At this moment in time I do not foresee anything to prevent me purchasing one of these dinos in the near future.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:51

Thanks for the input regards DeHavilland Motor Company they sound very good. Sadly as with most people who have had dealings with Gordon Ainsley Of Classic Replicas UK, I am put off having anything to do with kit cars for the moment. I was just talking with another customer of his who was very interesting in regard to the company. Seems he also has a car that is unfinished and has been for some time as have I. Seems he paid a large sum of money for a car promised but not delivered as have I.
Seems the same stories (lies) have been used to delay him knowing what is really happening.
Just imagine a company that goes this.
They tell you the car they are selling was that of a previous customer who sadly couldn't afford to finish it and his family had asked them ( a company like Classic Replicas owned by Gordon Ainsley) to attempt to sell it on for them. Does this sound familiar to anyone who has dealt with Classic Replicas or Gordon Ainsley? Has anyone else bought or been offered a car that a customer can't afford to finish from Gordon Ainsley?
I now know I am not alone. So this company (like Classic Replicas) who offer no Build manual for there cars, There is no wiring diagram. You can only get your parts from them, decide to break contract and the owner of the company stops taking your calls or answering your emails (As Gordon Aisley has done to at least 3 of customers so far). What do you think their (his) next move would be.
He gets his secretary to offer you the car as it is, unfinished, Unregistered, and costly to complete as Gordon Ainsley has the parts you need to complete it.
Ofcourse you decline the offer as it is not related to the original agreement.
Bingo! Gordon (Whoops I mean the company) has a part built car (carrot) for the next unsuspecting customer. Tells the same difficult or unhealthy customer story and the cycle starts again.

Classic Replicas also build a replica Mercedes SL300 Gullwing. as you can imagine more expensive. so you will need to give Gordon Ainsley & Classic Replica's an even bigger deposit! "When would you like your car sir?" "With all our experience we should be able to take a lifetime to build it".

On a serious note I am asking for any customers past and present to come forward and contact me my email is in this forum or IM me. If anyone has a road worthy Dino from Classic Replicas UK or has had a good experience with Gordon Ainsley, Please come forward. I really want to hear from you.
I am also looking for the fountain of youth, the holy grail & a never ending pint of Guinness so please come forward if you have the where about's of these also.
Old 19th July 2011, 16:49

dino_gt is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone;

I´m glad to see that some other people are "arising" on this forum, giving more credit to the words I posted here some time ago. I wrote a large message talking about my experience with classic replicas which was erased due to legal matters, no problem about that.

I received many PM´s and i met other people who have had bad experience with classic replicas and Gordon Ainsby, even worse than mine. M.R. Gordon Ainsby himself posted here some time ago, very convinced, that "he had nothing to hide" to what I responded if he was sure of what he was saying and if he wanted that all his unhappy customers came over and explain the situation better. Of course, there was no reply for that.

Yes, the "cycle" is exactly like that. We, who have suffered it, know that it is exactly what happened. My cycle was 1 complete year, trying to get my kit.

I´m not glad that there are more people suffering from what this person is doing but, at least, now there´s more information so that people can see what´s going on.

I´m also glad that some other customer have been lucky enough to be happy with his dealings with Gordon Ainsby, although I honestly don´t think there are many.

Even in this case, the ones who have been taken our hard earned by this guy are enough important to be able to stop this guy from continue doing what he´s doing.

I invite Mr. Gordon to join all his "bad customers" and have a chat. Maybe he can teach us all how to run a business properly.

cheers.

Dino_GT

Last edited by JG; 24th February 2012 at 19:27.. Reason: getting personal
Old 19th July 2011, 17:26

DeHavilland Motor Co is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

Thank you Bikidude for your kind comments it was a real plesure meeting you. Clearly there are a lot of people who have had a bad experience with CR, I would like to take this oppotunity to say to all that we are currently producing our first prototype of our GTS model (GT will also be available) whilst we are very busy getting the prototype finished i would love to hear your comments and questions you can see how the prototype is getting on on our facebook page . Hopefully we at DeHavilland can restore peoples confidence in a car that has had a very tortured past and help you all in obtaining that Dino you always promised yourself.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Terry
Old 19th July 2011, 18:20

Terry as long as you don't do business like Gordon Ainsley you have a chance. It would be great to have a company making dino replicas that you can trust. It really has been tainted by Classic Replicas.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:52

DeHavilland Motor Co is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspace View Post
Terry as long as you don't do business like Gordon Ainsley you have a chance. It would be great to have a company making dino replicas that you can trust. It really has been tainted by Classic Replicas.
Yeah for sure, unfortunately not only do certain peoples actions taint what should be a very pleasurable experience but it also casts a dark cloud over the entire kit car industry. I was also looking at buying a CR Dino a few years ago but managed to escape with my hard earned cash thanks mainly to the posts i saw on this site. All i can say is keep posting guys, the way i look at it is if someone doesn't have anything to hide and conducts themselves in the correct manner they would welcome the publicity.
Old 7th August 2011, 08:05

Bikidude is on a distinguished road

Hi I drove an MGTF yesterday for the first time ever . What a brilliant car when you stop driving it as a diesel, which is what I drive . Both myself and my passenger could not stop grinning after driving it around the country roads. The main problem with the car is the looks. The suspension and steering are excellent. I could not stop thinking that once Dehavilland Motors have completed their project and replaced the body with the Dino 246 shape with the option of fitting a V6 engine on the well sorted MGTF mechanical s this is going to be a tremendous and fun car to drive. I would recommend that anyone contemplating building a Dino should wait until this project has moved to production and then have a serious look at this car.