Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 20th February 2013, 20:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Funny how your chassis looked great both before and after paint!
Old 21st February 2013, 12:02

Viatron is on a distinguished road

It would look even better in my workshop but got up at 6 this morning to go to the unit to collect the van and the battery was dead and couldn't get it to jump start :-(
Old 21st February 2013, 20:24

Had a good day today on our other project, ended in the momentous occasions of getting it of the build tressles onto the floor for the first time!

Old 24th February 2013, 14:52

donnysoutherner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Had a good day today on our other project, ended in the momentous occasions of getting it of the build tressles onto the floor for the first time!

Did you build the car around the guy in the driver's seat??
Old 24th February 2013, 15:02

:-) thats my racing teammate Dave, were both of the more muscular build, the reason hes in it is we were trying to work out the most graceful entry and exit route, turns out there isnt one!
Old 1st March 2013, 19:47

Slight delay in getting the chassis back to the workshop due to an earth fault on the transit race van but all sorted now and im off up there in the morning to start on building it up. in preperation i ordered some spaxy goodness from Canley and they arrived today. height and ride adjustable, also collected a good condition large front ARB on the way home tonight, £10! niiiicceeee

Old 2nd March 2013, 21:00

Best laid plans of mice and men, the workshop heater went bump so spent e whole day stripping it and rebuilding with a new fuel solenoid, main jet and thermal cutoff switch, then found myself sanding it all down and painting it......I need help!

That said Dave my partner in car crime was MIA today as he is off paintballing for his stag do, we're doing an alternative stag do for him me and a couple of other non paintballers next month, silverstone international track day in one of our other toys, an Audi a4 Quattro track slag.

Did get to spend an hour on the blast cabinet trying to salvage my calipers but in the end dug out the plastic and ordered a pair from Canley, at the rate it was going it would have been days before I was happy with them and I'm conscious that the rolling chassis needs to be done ASAP as its due in Preston in the near future.

Did get time to order some 3/8" and 5/16" UNF tap sets though as the first fun job will be clearing all the galv out of the threads on the chassis, not looking forward to that as I'm sure ill end up snapping one so went for the full set in each size so I have a taper, bottom and plug hopefully if I take it easy and use lots of lube I should be alright, as the bishop said to the actress........

Last edited by Viatron; 2nd March 2013 at 21:07..
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:28

Quote:
... Best laid plans of mice and men...
That was certainly the story of my day today.

Good luck getting everything ready for the the trip to Preston.

It will be interesting to see what your kit frame will look like compared to my one.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:39

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
.....the workshop heater went bump...........
Terrible news.

My workshop heater came on for about ten minutes today, then it clouded over, I thought it might come back on again but it got dark instead.
Old 9th March 2013, 19:42

Well with a now fully functioning heater that has never run or looked better the man cave was a nice place to be today, got the body back on the GTA and tested the rear lighting, all good except it looks like my indicator stalk is goosed so of to ebay in a minute to find a replacement.

Putting the body back on the GTA was in fact part of today's master plan to make room for the Navigator chassis, after a quick clean up and tool sort it was unloaded from the trailer where it has sat waiting since it was painted a while ago, noticed a couple of small marks where it was rubbing whilst in transit but a quick touch up with some paint saw that all sorted, then it was on to cleaning out any holes filled with galv and tapping those that headed it. The tapping went fine, paying out for a good quality full set of 3 3/8unf taps was a good move. Biggest problem was finding the tapped blocks that the front suspension towers bolt to as during the last workshop cleanup all Navigator parts had been "filed" in a potato storage box, I say box but its a wooden crate about 6 foot long buy about 4 foot wide and 4 foot high, much digging about later and I had all 4 required, phew!

I ordered a load of bits from Canleys on Thursday expecting them to arrive yesterday but they didn't arrive which was a bugger as e order included a load of new bolts, nuts etc, quick trip to my local fastener chap on the way in this morning though saw me leave with about 100 mixed UNF bolts and sets crews in different lengths and thread configurations along with a good handful of stainless washers and spring washers, a fiver thank you for cash, result:-)

Once all the required holes were drilled out, threaded etc we started to try and fit the front suspension mounting tower blocks, one each side went in ok with a gentle tap, the other two were going nowhere as the channel they slip into was full of globs of galv, about an hour of chisel drill and swearing action saw them clear enough to get the blocks in and lined up though.

The near side tower went on in about 30 minutes, mostly due to trying to align the threaded blocks properly whilst holding the tower in place and fitting the bolts at the some time, good job Dave was present as I don't think 2 hands would have been enough.

Remembered that to fit the shiny new spax shocks I would need the shock top mounts off the old shocks, 10 minutes rummaging through the potatoe box and a trip next door to borrow some spring compressors saw them off and the old shocks and springs relegated to the growing scrap pile that whilst sorting through the box had 2 manky old spitfire rads added to it. Another 5 minutes a piece with the rotary wire brush in the grinder saw them cleaned up nicely and a cot of etch primer and them 2 coats of chassis black with a couple of minutes in front of the heater saw them ready to be pressed into service.

One problem encountered when assembling the spax was that the two top nuts are the same size and thinner that a standard spanner so locking them off against each other was impossible so a hunt around the floor found the nuts that had come of the old shocks, one thick and one thin, the thick ones were cleaned up and pressed back into service successfully. Just had time to fit the near side shock and then ran out of time but the end result is:

Not as much as I hoped for today but an hour on Monday should see the offside finished as well and then hopefully another hour will see the rack and the front updated ARB fitted, if time allows then the next step is to fit the new wheel bearings discs calipers, pads and brake flexis which for the purposes of getting a roller going should be the front end pretty much done......in theory!

One issue I have come up against is that buying my donor in bits means that I can't seem to find the shims that go between the bottom wishbone mounts and the chassis, anyone know how many should be there? Anyone got any going spare?
Till Monday evening then
Tata

Last edited by Viatron; 9th March 2013 at 19:47..
Old 9th March 2013, 20:22

Must be good seeing parts going back on.

The previous owner restored my donor's chassis so I've not touched it.

Are these shims visible? If so, I can have a look at in the daylight for you?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 9th March 2013, 20:25

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Mine had four on one side and three on the other. I think they were added as needed and it will depend on whether your chassis was made on a Monday or a Friday afternoon.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:48

I've ordered a few stainless ones from Canleys but won't fit them until after the body is on and I can get the roller to the setup guru who does the race car.

Good progress today the front suspension towers are both on now along with the front co livers. Also completely rebuilt one good rack out of two including painting, new boots and fitting it. Was going to use solid mounts for the rack but found a pair of polybushes in the tater box so have reverted to standard but with the polybushes.
Spent half and hour with the rotary wire brush in the angle grinder and took my 7/8" front ARB back to bare metal, it's hanging from the ceiling now drying after 2 coats of gloss black fortress metal paint so should be dry enough to fit in the morning, hopefully by the time I get home my mot recent Canleys order should be waiting for me which should mean that the front will be pretty much complete by this time tomorrow barring new wheel studs which I haven't ordered as I'm awaiting the arrival of a set of wire wheel conversion hubs. Hopefully will the diff in tomorrow and will then start on brake lines and stripping and refurbish the rear suspension whilst waiting from my swing spring kit from Canleys which I'm told could be a while yet as they are made to order.

Old 11th March 2013, 18:00

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

looking very smart Viatron.

It seems a long haul to get this far, but it starts to really take shape and inspire from now!

I makes me laugh when someone will say that you 'restored' the chassis, when in fact you have significantly 'improved' it! The factory would have gone bust a lot quicker if they had spent your attention to detail on every car!
Old 11th March 2013, 18:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's looking really smart. Keep up the good work!
Old 12th March 2013, 18:25

Only have one thing to say today ( not really) Bl00dy diff bushes! What an absolute pain, 3 hours to remove 2 bushes, eventually had to burn out the rubber, that was nice, and do the hacksaw a slit and chisel them out, won't be doing that job ever again!

Other than that had a real result today, digging through the tardis that is the tater box storage solution guess what I found lurking in the bottom, a very clean and unworn swing spring complete with the correct top plate, now I loaded every part and transferred them all to the tater box and can't for the life of me remember seeing it, I think the triumph parts density in the box is so high that their reproducing! Quick call to Canleys and although they won't cancel my swing spring kit order and refund me they have given me a full value credit note so as good as at the rate I'm buying stuff from them.

Got the updated ARB fitted today complete with new polybushes and swivel ends, had a minor crisis when I found it didn't have the studs in the end but dig in the parts department turned up 2 standard ones complete wish studs and they are the same size so that's a bother job complete.

Got the new discs mounted to the freshly painted hubs and also made a couple of brackets to mount the chassis end of the brake flexis to as couldn't find any amongst the boxes. Also fitted te first of the cu/in brake lines and found I had a load of appropriately sized stainless rubber lined p clips left from the race car so am using those.

After struggling with the diff bushes I managed to get it cleaned up and painted before leaving so all things being equal I'm hoping to have it fitted tomorrow, my only concern is how much galv I will find in the tube between the 2 bushes, worst comes to worst ill chop it out and replace with new as I can't see me getting a drill in there and it would appear to be no more that a crush tube anyway.

Currently trying to decide if the mini fin brake drums are worth the money, I think I'll probably go for them as now I have decided on wire wheels they will be visible.

Hopefully my wheel bearing will turn up before I leave for the workshop in the morning, if so I should be able to get the front totally finished included calipers brake pads, dust shields etc.

At this rate my target to have a rollin steerable chassis by the weekend looks possible....ish

As I know you lot like pics some more below of today's progress.

Till tomorrow

Ta ta
Old 13th March 2013, 08:56

garyh is on a distinguished road

Love the pics, V... They will help me at some point.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:00

Well my most recent Canleys order just arrived, haven't been able to get to the unit for the last couple of days as I landed a last minute emergency job but am clear tomorrow and Saturday and with Dave lending a hand on Saturday I still think we're on schedule fr delivery of a rolling chassis to Ribble sometime Monday .

Old 14th March 2013, 15:55

garyh is on a distinguished road

Mustn't get envious, carry on decorating... keep wife in good mood...£££
Look forward to seeing rolling chassis, how about video to show what you have done.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:44

Not a bad idea, might try and do one once its a roller