Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 15th August 2012, 07:53
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
Because the trailing arms are nicely powder coated I think I might cut the top stud off and have it welded to a plate which I can bolt into rivnuts set into the chassis. I am leaving it for now so I can get all the welding bits done in one hit. John
I thought about doing it this way but was concerned that rivnuts may not be strong enough. There could be a lot of force on the bump stop and if they are not 100% alligned than there will be some sideways as well as upwards force.

But maybe I am just a bit over cautious :-)

Cheers

Robin
Old 15th August 2012, 18:08

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road

Robin, I have considered that but I am pretty confident that lined up properly with 4 say, 8mm rivnuts it should be ok.

OK another problem. You may recall that I had problems screwing the bush carriers into the new upper wishbones because the threads were imperfect. Well, it seems I have the same issue with the lower wishbones. The threads for the lower ball joint are terrible and the ball joint simply wont screw in. After a couple of threads it just seizes. Its not cross threaded just stiff. I cleaned the smaller ones up with a tap but goodness knows how to clean these up by the looks of it they are well rough. Any ideas? - John
Old 15th August 2012, 20:12
Enthusiast

I had the same problem. Take a look at them closely. Mine were just full of powder coat that was relatively easy to clean out using the tip of a needle file. After that I just greased the threads on the ball joint and carefully eased it in and out to clean any remaining muck that the file couldn't deal with.

If the threads really are poor you may be able to clean them up using a special thread file. Not used one myself but they are frequently used when restoring older cars where there are no spare parts available and you have no choice but to clean up and re-use what you have.

Cheers

Robin
Old 15th August 2012, 22:38
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I thought about doing it this way but was concerned that rivnuts may not be strong enough. There could be a lot of force on the bump stop and if they are not 100% alligned than there will be some sideways as well as upwards force.

But maybe I am just a bit over cautious :-)

Cheers

Robin
I'm with Robin on this one.
Please don't take any offence, but I think the rivnuts could shake lose with all the vibration from the suspension.

If it's a sideways alignment issue, you can get some movement by resetting the wishbone bushes with some thread bar and nuts, etc.
Personally, unless its really really bad, I would leave it and only fix it if it becomes a problem.
...peter
Old 16th August 2012, 18:53

Hi Guys. Peter, no offence taken at all, quite the opposite-its the kind of debate I need! OK I am persuaded away from the rivnut idea. I think I need them to line up. its way out, probably 35mm.
two options then. Cut and re-weld the top stud - not easy without turning the chassis over or moving the bottom plate a la Robin.
Robin, you made up new bottom plates but could the old ones be re-used? I have some spot weld drills. Shame though its going to screw the silver powder coating.

There is no way I can clean up the thread on the lower wishbone, it is not just powder coating, the thread is poor. I will borrow an M34 x 1.5 tap from an engineering firm we use, nothing is easy but this is shoddy.

Another two week delay now whilst I have to go on my travels again so more soon! - John
Old 16th August 2012, 19:10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Robin, you made up new bottom plates but could the old ones be re-used? I have some spot weld drills.
1. I had to use a small cold chisel as well as the spot weld drill. They were somewhat bent by the time they came off. You may be more lucky!

2. I took the opportunity to make the lower part of the bump stop adjustable using a large nut into which is screwed a short bolt packed out to a suitable height with washers. Without this there was the danger of my springs binding before the bump stops touched.

Shame about the threads for the ball joints but if you have access to the correct size tap that is the best way to sort it.

Cheers

Robin
Old 25th October 2012, 20:11

Ok back in circulation again after yet another foreign trip.

Can anyone confirm that the thread on the Metro ball joints IS 34x1.5 before I go and find a tap?
I have measured it but just doubting because its an odd size....

Thanks - John
Old 26th October 2012, 09:27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok back in circulation again after yet another foreign trip.

Can anyone confirm that the thread on the Metro ball joints IS 34x1.5 before I go and find a tap?
I have measured it but just doubting because its an odd size....

Thanks - John

Hi John,
I'm not sure if anyone has had to re-tap their wishbone bushes so I don't know what the metro ball joint thread would be.
I'd give Marlin a call and ask Mark or Kevin, as they tap the welded in boss that goes in the top of the suspension upright.

...peter
Old 26th October 2012, 13:41

I hit on the bright idea of using a smaller tap of the same pitch (M10x1.5) to try to clean up the threads. Good idea and if it were just powdercoat it would have worked. I am pretty sure that it is weld spatter, its tough and I cant shift it. Because I am away again for 3 weeks from next week I am inclined to send it back to Marlin for them to sort since they caused it....
Old 26th October 2012, 15:03
Enthusiast

Quote:
I hit on the bright idea of using a smaller tap of the same pitch (M10x1.5) to try to clean up the threads. Good idea and if it were just powdercoat it would have worked. I am pretty sure that it is weld spatter, its tough and I cant shift it. Because I am away again for 3 weeks from next week I am inclined to send it back to Marlin for them to sort since they caused it....
Yeah, probably cheaper than buying a huge 34mm tap!
Old 26th October 2012, 20:12

Yes that would be expensive! I could have borrowed one but its Marlins problem. Talked to Terry and no problem, just send it back. Ok so that's one dam unblocked, should be able to complete the front suspension and steering then.
What is holding up progress with the rear end is the misaligned bumps tops. I am really tempted to go with coilovers despite the expense. Oh decisions....
Old 26th October 2012, 20:17

On another note I am going to mock up my fuel tank sump tomorrow. I intend to copy Mikes idea of hiding it behind the diff but I might make it a bit bigger. I would like 5l as a reserve and anti surge capacity ideally. Then it's just one hp pump needed!
Old 27th October 2012, 07:15

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Good to see that maybe Terry ( Marlin ) is more proactive in sorting out customers problems now. Having pi**ed off so many people, maybe she is getting the message.

Its a pity the tank wasn't a lot bigger, always have to keep an eye on mileage as my fuel consumption is on the high side.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:27
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Lead boots come as standard with these cars, Dennis.
Old 27th October 2012, 08:34

I have no idea what my fuel consumption will be yet! I must admit the tank does look a little small. The reason for the sump is primarily to avoid using a "swirl pot" and the attendant low pressure setup. The theory is that the sump will provide protection against fuel starvation on braking/cornering thus eliminating the need for the swirl pot. I am considering a dual parallel HP fuel pump setup (overkill though) and just a simple LP return line to tank.
I am also wondering if I (or one of you genii) can come up with a "running on reserve" light system so when the main tank finally empties a light on the dash comes on. Thats why I would like a larger volume sump - so that I have some chance of refilling before running out!
Old 27th October 2012, 09:05
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am also wondering if I (or one of you genii) can come up with a "running on reserve" light system so when the main tank finally empties a light on the dash comes on. Thats why I would like a larger volume sump - so that I have some chance of refilling before running out!
John

You don't really need a warning light................calibrate your fuel gauge and when it says " Empty" you'll be into your reserve, and its time to fill up!

You're a giving away your occupational habits - ie Company car driver - we all run the fuel down to empty (and now days with computer data for 'Miles remaining' even go minus! before we'll grudgingly stop to fill up again!

All you need to do is fill up when you drop below 1/4 tank
Old 27th October 2012, 11:28

Mike,

Sage words indeed! However, as with most things kit car as far as I am concerned its not about what I need! its what I WANT!!!

You are quite right though, it was just a whim of an idea! AlthoughI am a maniac for pushing "driving on fumes" !

John
Old 27th October 2012, 15:31

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Agree with Mike in respect of running a modern car right beyond the zero figure right into the negative figure.
But having the old gauges from the original donor (which I will change one day ) I discovered to my cost that they are notoriously inaccurate.

Which meant pushing it the last mile home.

Will not make that mistake again. Admittedly the mistake was made when I first had it so I now know roughly how much I have at all stages of the gauge.

Knowing the way you guys work, most of you have gizmo's gallore. You just like fiddling.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:18

I am just looking at buying the fuel hose and pump. I am thinking to run 8mm HP from tank to engine and 8mm LP return back to tank. (no swirl pot - I will put a sump in the tank so just one HP pump)
Questions:
- I know I need to get the correct spec HP hose, I would prefer flexi to copper, but does it have to be steel braided or will normal flexi rubber or whatever be ok down the transmission tunnel?
- What models of HP pump have you used for the M20 2.5 engine? I am thinking of pressure/flow rate required?

Thanks

John

Last edited by oaktree11; 30th October 2012 at 15:21..
Old 30th October 2012, 18:02
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am just looking at buying the fuel hose and pump. I am thinking to run 8mm HP from tank to engine and 8mm LP return back to tank. (no swirl pot - I will put a sump in the tank so just one HP pump)
Questions:
- I know I need to get the correct spec HP hose, I would prefer flexi to copper, but does it have to be steel braided or will normal flexi rubber or whatever be ok down the transmission tunnel?
- What models of HP pump have you used for the M20 2.5 engine? I am thinking of pressure/flow rate required?

Thanks

John
John

Are you sure 8mm feed to the HP pump is sufficient?
Sytec advised me to run 12mm from tank to HP pump (via a 12mm filter) to ensure it is never starved of fuel - highly damaging to HP pumps.

Mike