Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 8th October 2006, 22:17
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Engine Started!!!!!!

Started my engine for the first time today in my Marlin BMW Sportster. (Last time it ran, it was in the donor car about three years ago!)

It didn't exactly burst into life and took a fair bit of coaching to get going. Eventually I got it to run on 4 out of 6 cylinders? I had put oil down the spark plug holes when it was laid up, to stop the pistons seizing in the bores and forgot to clear it out today! doh!

Exhasut note sounded great but that may have been because two cylinders were not firing??

I think I have 'oiled-up' two of the plugs, but I am happy that all the basics worked and after warming up, it ran on tickover on its own. Ran out of time and light this afternoon, so will have to investigate next startup. No obvious leaks, but will check it all over next time.

Charging light went out when first started but I noticed that it was back on when I was finsihing up, not sure if the alternator has died or something else to investigate.
Low pressure fuel pump vibrates like crazy so will have to look again at how it's mounted.

Another significant milestone in the build completed, now onto the dashboard, etc.

Latest pictures here.........

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/

regards

Peter
Available from eBay
Old 9th October 2006, 07:20
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done Another running engine is good news!

My alternator wont charge unless I rev the engine up over 2000ish RPM then the charge light goes out. Guys on E30Zone have said its nothing to worry about. Something too keep an eye on anyway

I like your exhaust - Will the tips be inside of the rear bumpers? I've read that SVA requires them to have radius if they stick out of the bodywork - I've still not figured out if that includes bumpers or not.
Old 9th October 2006, 12:41
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux
Started my engine for the first time today in my Marlin BMW Sportster.

Peter
Fantastic. I must be getting close now although there is still the pedal box, rear suspension problem, wiring..... I reckon that by the time mine is running it will also be about three years since it was removed from the donor.

Have you ordered you body panels yet?

Out of interest, what is the minimum wiring that you found you needed to get the engine going?

Regards

Robin
Old 9th October 2006, 21:40
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

Congrats - I saw and heard mine running for the first time this weekend and it's a good feeling - cars still up in the air though cos the rear wheels don't fir until some spacers arrive!

Andy
Old 9th October 2006, 22:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Well done Another running engine is good news!

My alternator wont charge unless I rev the engine up over 2000ish RPM then the charge light goes out. Guys on E30Zone have said its nothing to worry about. Something too keep an eye on anyway

I like your exhaust - Will the tips be inside of the rear bumpers? I've read that SVA requires them to have radius if they stick out of the bodywork - I've still not figured out if that includes bumpers or not.
Patrick,
Ok, i'll try higher revs and see if the charging light goes out. It might just be dirt or damp from not running for so long?
I note your point about the exhausts. Can't find anything specific in the SVA manual and they allow side pipes??
The plan is to fit the body work, cut the ends back and fit CBS rolled end exhaust trims. I might be able to move the silencers forward a bit but decided not to mess around anymore until I've got my body on. (Anybody tried hacksawing through a stainless silencer?? Might have to get the anle grinder out! )

regards

Peter
Old 9th October 2006, 22:40
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan
Have you ordered you body panels yet?

Out of interest, what is the minimum wiring that you found you needed to get the engine going?

Regards

Robin
Robin, no, still no bodywork, but an order will be placed soon. I've still got lots to do without the body, like fitting the floors, bleeding the brakes, fitting the fuel level sender (still not fitted!), seats, etc.

It's kind of hard to answer your wiring question in words but basically:
(I'm using the BMW engne loom and a Premier Wiring standard loom)
- Everything connected to the engine loom (all wires and connectors)
- Ignition switch inc. supply to ECU
- Main battery feed to Starter motor
- Battery neg to chassis
- Battery positive supply to engine loom via fuse link
- ignition switched and fused supply to low pressure fuel pump
- connection from BMW engine loom to high pressure fuel pump

(I did that from memory, but I think that'll do it! )

cheers

Peter
Old 10th October 2006, 08:26
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's kind of hard to answer your wiring question in words but basically:
(I'm using the BMW engne loom and a Premier Wiring standard loom)
- Everything connected to the engine loom (all wires and connectors)
- Ignition switch inc. supply to ECU
- Main battery feed to Starter motor
- Battery neg to chassis
- Battery positive supply to engine loom via fuse link
- ignition switched and fused supply to low pressure fuel pump
- connection from BMW engine loom to high pressure fuel pump
Ok Peter thanks.

BR

Robin
Old 10th October 2006, 09:55
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Patrick,
Ok, i'll try higher revs and see if the charging light goes out. It might just be dirt or damp from not running for so long?
I note your point about the exhausts. Can't find anything specific in the SVA manual and they allow side pipes??
The plan is to fit the body work, cut the ends back and fit CBS rolled end exhaust trims. I might be able to move the silencers forward a bit but decided not to mess around anymore until I've got my body on. (Anybody tried hacksawing through a stainless silencer?? Might have to get the anle grinder out! )

regards

Peter
On my alternator if I rev up then go back to idle it stays on, didnt make that clear in my first post

You will be fine with rolled end exhaust trims. Its just if the tips are hard edged like mine that they are not allow to protrude a certain amount past the body work - but the bit im not clear on is weather or not that counts the bumper
Old 14th October 2006, 21:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
I think I have 'oiled-up' two of the plugs, but I am happy that all the basics worked and after warming up, it ran on tickover on its own. Ran out of time and light this afternoon, so will have to investigate next startup. No obvious leaks, but will check it all over next time.
Well I found the time today to pop in a new set of spark plugs this afternoon and she's now firing on all cylinders.
The ECU is re-teaching it's memory but otherwise the engine is full of energy are rearing to go. I can confirm the exhaust is very 'throaty' and most unlike a beema.
Thanks to Robin for giving me the idea to look for TR6 exhaust boxes on eBay.
Everything seems to be fine with no leaks detected.
Patrick was right about the charging light. Rev the engine a bit and it goes out and stays out when ticking over, so I assume the charging is working OK.
I better stop playing with the engine now and get on with the rest of the build!
Peter