Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 5th January 2014, 10:59

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Take a look at paragraph 1.9, line 5.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...iva-scheme.pdf

So, if the vehicle's more than ten years old IVA does not apply?

There's also a table at the back that raises the issue of kit cars specifically, which talks about a previously registered vehicle being structurally modified. If the windscreen and frame isn't structural, then isn't cutting it off a cosmetic modification?

Discuss...
I should imagine that screen pillars on a monocoque shell would be regarded as structural.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:05

zagmad is on a distinguished road

i see what you mean. but hey gets the grey sells whirling which for a post man isn't bad. specially with the weather being so pants. i think the kobra kit will look great once its all lined up and sitting flush. plus who has a kit like it. bolt off bond on. engine stays ,gearbox stays . no iva . quality.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:10

how bout keep frame. shorten the glass. raise the body. that make sense. structure stays. glass moves up. same page yet. :-)
Old 5th January 2014, 11:18

y cymro is on a distinguished road

DVLA leaflet Inf26 regards changes to the monocoque as being a radically altered vehicle for which IVA applies.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_180218.pdf. Section 3
Old 5th January 2014, 11:32

body being fibreglass shell. frame stays rigid and uncut,lasered etc. only thing that changes is the glass in the frame. be it professionally cut or a new reshaped piece made up to slot in its new space with the lower part of the window mold placed and welded to hold it from below. glass moves nothing else.
Old 5th January 2014, 13:10

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Surely the beauty of a tribute style kit is a straightforward build that can be accomplished by an enthusiastic amateur without a worship and a couple of thousand hours to spare.

This simple approach will always be a compromise but does end up with a quick build and a fully usable daily driver.
Old 5th January 2014, 13:31

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Bit of research suggests that the Z3 screen frame has a built in roll bar. Couldn't find whether it contributes to the structural integrity of the shell though.

Some interesting pics on this site promoting roll cages for adventurous drivers who don't seem capable of keeping the wheels pointing downwards -

http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials.htm

And none of their customers that sent in these pictures sustained life threatening injuries. Presumably the ones that did couldn't be bothered to write in.

As for keeping the build really simple, that's fine if you lack the mechanical skills to complete a more challenging build, but you will end up with a Z3 with a bodykit rather than something that looks convincingly like a fifties/sixties race car or classic. Each to their own
Old 5th January 2014, 13:45

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I think the screen is structural but could possibly be cut and re-welded.

For What it is Worth - I would have loved to lose the screen on mine, fit a much smaller one further back, shorten and reduce the size of the doors etc.

That would massively increase the looks however it would have the same effects on the costs and practicality. I use mine as a daily driver a lot of the time and need to travel on motorways in a suit and tie, take client to lunch etc. I don't think they would appreciate the rain and need to wear goggles much.

You live your lives and make compromises where necessary. I am happy with what I have
Old 5th January 2014, 14:25

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

I really like the compromise that WCA has with his car: a practical but more charismatic daily. Personally this type of conversion holds a great deal of appeal since the finished vehicle usually has a greater depth of abilities thanks to it's production car underpinnings. A kit that requires me to start from near scratch holds no appeal at all.
Old 5th January 2014, 14:56

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Surprisingly (as I have never really liked Cobras) I like that a lot. The only thing that Im not keen on is the BMW soft top although I can see that it would be great for practicality. I have always preferred the look of cobras with hard tops fitted, maybe a removable hard top would work on this?
Old 5th January 2014, 14:59

what do people think of stripes. specially with this being a kobra kit. body coloured wheels or contrasting painted wheels. some porsche rs's have grey body work and red wheels. seen some mercedes a series with red and grey stripes on white. also anyone know of alarm fitting companys.
Old 5th January 2014, 15:23

Ollie is on a distinguished road

The screen on any modern convertable is very definately a structural part, in most cases, roll over protection. Cutting it off would definately create structural issues, and paperwork nightmares. Most old sportscars, and many american cars still, have seperate chassies (like a landrover..!) so you can do pretty much what you want with the body without affecting strength. On the other hand, keeping the screen gives you proper, non-buffeting, open top motoring. (If you have ever been in a cobra at speed, the buffeting is dreadfull..) You also get proper wipers, de-mist, windows that fit, and a top quality hood that doesn't leak.....
This car will not please the purists, but there are plenty for them...
If i had the chance to build this Kobra, i would do it with a modern twist, with big modern wheels, LED lights, etc... And it could be parked outside and used 365 days of the year no worries..!
I like it, and i want one...!
There's my tuppence worth, hope some of it helps someone....
Old 5th January 2014, 16:55

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

I really like the look of this Z3 Kobra kit. Once you have sorted out all the little details I,m sure you will have a winner there. It,s nice to see all these new Z3 specials appearing lately.

As for the modified windscreen, here is a video of a modified Z3 with a chopped screen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvogriMH6V8
Old 5th January 2014, 17:29

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

No-one said you CAN'T chop the screen, the question was more to do with whether it was safe and would pass UK rules. Not sure they were the top concerns when modding that Z3
Old 5th January 2014, 17:30

Rudycob1 is on a distinguished road

The thing with SVA/IVA is that it can restrict various details when building classic replicas. I remember when I built my Cobra that I had to fit various items like steering wheel, mirrors, windscreen, etc to get it through the test. Once it's passed than you get them changed to what you really want to do. It's ironic and even the IVA tester said to me, now that you passed you can go and put the proper stuff on. So it might be an idea to build it to a stage to get it tested and passed and then finish the build without any restrictions.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
I really like the look of this Z3 Kobra kit. Once you have sorted out all the little details I,m sure you will have a winner there. It,s nice to see all these new Z3 specials appearing lately.

As for the modified windscreen, here is a video of a modified Z3 with a chopped screen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvogriMH6V8
By Jove that's exactly what a Z3 based Maserati 300S needs. A chopped screen and no hood or side windows, perfect!

I do wonder about some of our rules and regs where IVA is concerned. Why on Earth do you need to fit rounded bezels on the instruments? If my face ever hits the instrument panel on the far side of the steering wheel I don't think a cut from the bezel is going to make much difference to the outcome.
Old 5th January 2014, 22:42

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
By Jove that's exactly what a Z3 based Maserati 300S needs. A chopped screen and no hood or side windows, perfect!

I do wonder about some of our rules and regs where IVA is concerned. Why on Earth do you need to fit rounded bezels on the instruments? If my face ever hits the instrument panel on the far side of the steering wheel I don't think a cut from the bezel is going to make much difference to the outcome.
Yes agreed, but rules is rules. I do wonder if some of this is counter-productive. We have a Fiat Grande Punto, and the A pillars are IMHO far too big and restrict vision (and they are small compared to a lot of cars!). Is this in the pursuit of roll-over safety? I suspect a lot more crashes/injuries are caused (by these thick A pillars) compared to the relatively small risk of roll-over injury.
Old 6th January 2014, 09:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
... We are aiming for a March 2014 launch and a visit to Detling Show with a finished car ...
Chris - I guess your New Year's Resolution didn't involve slowing down a bit.

I've update the sticky and look forward to seeing the finished Kobra.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:05

Just had a quick read through the IVA requirements -

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Reso...anual%20v4.pdf

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, the instrument bezel thing is only applicable if the instruments aren't behind the steering wheel, for example. My car would fail on the following issues though:

Single circuit brakes;
No visible/audible warning of brake fluid loss;
Unpadded steering wheel manufactured from hard materials that could splinter;
Seats with no head restraints;
Wheel spinners protrude beyond 30mm from bodywork;
Flyscreen top edges not blunted;
Lower seat belt mounts - spreader plate not integral with floor but externally mounted;
No rear fog light;
No side repeater lamps;
Only one rear brake light;
No reversing light;
Perspex flyscreen would fail rigidity test.

I'm sure there'd be a few more points that would need addressing, but overall, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make it IVA compliant if I'd started the build with the manual in mind. I do believe the test is rather expensive though at £450 plus £90 per (inevitable?) retest -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...oster_2012.pdf

Overall, I'm quite glad mine didn't need IVA.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:52

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

That is horrifying M.r T!

I can't imagine why you risk your life to drive such a death trap!!!!!!!!!!